List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Alex Witherden.

Remove this Banner Ad

With NN and Barrass on one flank and The Gov centre and roaming towards the opposite flank, that to me, makes a lot more sense, ensuring a far more dynamic and versatile plan, with options, to ensure that the kick in is marked and then, the play reloads for a forward 50 entry.

Long to right flank?

Versatility!

Long to right flank.

VEE EE

ELL OH

:drunk:

Witherden kicking in makes a hell of a lot more sense than McGovern kicking in.

FFS .......... I can never understand why one of our best overhead marks, would be kicking the ball in after a point :shrug: , thereby depriving us of a dependable marking option to kick to.

With NN and Barrass on one flank and The Gov centre and roaming towards the opposite flank, that to me, makes a lot more sense, ensuring a far more dynamic and versatile plan, with options, to ensure that the kick in is marked and then, the play reloads for a forward 50 entry.

If we insist on kicking to the right flank it would be great if we could actually kill the ball to the boundary instead of letting the oppo set up two deep over the back for a chain of quick handballs before a repeat inside 50.

Witherden kicking in makes a hell of a lot more sense than McGovern kicking in.

FFS .......... I can never understand why one of our best overhead marks, would be kicking the ball in after a point :shrug: , thereby depriving us of a dependable marking option to kick to.

Good point and surprised its never an option.

If we plays well and Hurn comes back how do we re-arrange our backline?
In this scenario, I wonder if Witherden could push up to play a wing role? I could get on board with his kicking int our F50, and not going to hurt to have another body working through the middle six. Getting burnt defensively is probably his biggest issue in attempting this transition (a weird thing to say about one of our defenders).

Even if he could, doesn't feel like something Simmo would do - trade a guy in to play the role he's played throughout his 5 year career then move him into a different one a few games into his Eagles career.

In this scenario, I wonder if Witherden could push up to play a wing role? I could get on board with his kicking int our F50, and not going to hurt to have another body working through the middle six. Getting burnt defensively is probably his biggest issue in attempting this transition (a weird thing to say about one of our defenders).

Even if he could, doesn't feel like something Simmo would do - trade a guy in to play the role he's played throughout his 5 year career then move him into a different one a few games into his Eagles career.

I could be wrong but i swear i heard him saying when traded he had hopes of pushing to a wing some day.

It's so Boomer. It's a tacit admission that they know not what's going on unless someone explains it to them.

Or they just enjoy having commentary with the game?

Not for me personally, but who cares how others enjoy the game?

No need to be a flog about it tbh

I could be wrong but i swear i heard him saying when traded he had hopes of pushing to a wing some day.

He is a natural wing apart from his aerobic capacity.

Defensively, he is rather suspect and can be far too unaccountable at times, but he has the instincts to accumulate possession over and over again.

His disposal is at its best hitting a leading target rather than on the switch, where he has a habit of overkicking if pressure is applied.

His best performances in the past for Brisbane were when he was able to get well up the ground and hit up forward targets.

If I had confidence in his running ability, I would prefer him well ahead of Duggan for that position in the midfield.

This
He is a natural wing apart from his aerobic capacity.

Defensively, he is rather suspect and can be far too unaccountable at times, but he has the instincts to accumulate possession over and over again.

His disposal is at its best hitting a leading target rather than on the switch, where he has a habit of overkicking if pressure is applied.

His best performances in the past for Brisbane were when he was able to get well up the ground and hit up forward targets.

If I had confidence in his running ability, I would prefer him well ahead of Duggan for that position in the midfield.
This preseason he followed Shep around to work on his defensive game, hopefully next preseason he follows our lord and Saviour Ainsworth around to work on his running.

I think they should probably appoint Ainsworth as captain. Yeah, for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it too early to say we got him for a steal? Because after watching him play tonight I think we got him for a farking steal!

He was always going to be a steal - go watch his Round 9 match against Essendon last year.

And he is just 22 - there is a lot more development still to come, including a probable shift higher up the ground in future years.

What impressed me tonight other than his kicking darts (must be something to do with wearing no.23), was how clean he appeared at ground level as well.

Great debut by him tonight. Had some very big shoes to fill coming in for Hurn and didn't miss a beat.

That was a bloody good performance. His use by foot was just fantastic. For whatever reason the Pies gave him a lot of rope*, which was weird because it's not like it was his AFL debut. It's well known that he is a great user by foot. Other teams will clamp straight down on that, so it's going to be real interesting to see how he handles that.

He's an absolute must start player in our backline now. Going to be real hard to see who makes way when Hurn comes back, but on tonight's performance it shouldn't be Withers.

*In fact, I thought aside from Grundy pushing forward to take a couple of grabs for early goals, their tactics were absolutely abysmal. If you want to play right into our hands, just let us chip around the half back line all night until we find an opening to push forward. Without pressure, our guys will find that opening by foot with more efficiency than any other team in the competition and we did that virtually unopposed for two quarters and carved the Pies accordingly. We took 88 marks in the second and third quarter's, which is just way too many for a team to concede.

Bloody good debut from witho tonight.

Started with the constant long to right flank boring as f kick ins but got his confidence up early and started slicing it up.

It was a bit of a perfect storm for him with the pies total lacklustre forward line, letting us have total control of the ball across half back with no pressure and then bombing it in high. Other teams will try and isolate and beat him with pace as can see that he struggles on the chase.

Don't need to talk negative today though as everything about his debut was brilliant

Remove this Banner Ad

Back