List Mgmt. Welcome Ryan Maric (Pick 1, 2023 MSD)

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon this guy can become an elite 2nd/3rd defender in the Sicily/Lever mould. Already looks to have grown and looks to be the same height to Allen by the eye test.

Obviously have no idea what his defensive nous is as he hasn’t played there, but he has an absolutely sublime kick. It could be an absolute weapon if he was setting up play in the backline by turning his intercepts quickly into forward attacks.

Anyways still looking like a gun forward too. I think he will be good at either bookends. My new favourite player.

Spare a thought for Freo

I Didnt Do It No Way GIF by Disney+

Spare a thought for Freo with their s**t forwardline after all these years meanwhile we retire Kennedy and already have Allen and Maric as replacements.
One thing West Coast has done historically well is understanding you need to continually draft key position players as quality ones don't grow on trees. In this regard, the team's succession planning has been very good.

Amiss looks like a gun.

He's looking more promising than what they have had for a long while, I'd be pretty happy with him as a Freo fan. Being the focal point helps bring player on faster too IMO. They shelled out pick 8 so they would have wanted a good 'un.

Jack Williams, from the same draft, has some promise for us. But between being stuck at the Beags and a mile down the pecking order when he gets an AFL his development curve is always going to be a lot slower. Hoping Jack has a super pre-season as he is sizing up and has shown some flashes late in the year as a more classical FF type.

Spare a thought for Freo with their s**t forwardline after all these years meanwhile we retire Kennedy and already have Allen and Maric as replacements.
Remember freo fluffers frantically folloping about a few years afore telling us we were fuqued and it would take us years to get over kennedy

I feel like if we pick the eyes out of this draft with Reid no 1 we are well on our way to our core. We will have a midfield that’s a grade and a forward line that crackles, our backline is already decent and we can shore that up with later picks in years to come.

He's looking more promising than what they have had for a long while, I'd be pretty happy with him as a Freo fan. Being the focal point helps bring player on faster too IMO. They shelled out pick 8 so they would have wanted a good 'un.

Jack Williams, from the same draft, has some promise for us. But between being stuck at the Beags and a mile down the pecking order when he gets an AFL his development curve is always going to be a lot slower. Hoping Jack has a super pre-season as he is sizing up and has shown some flashes late in the year as a more classical FF type.

Unfortunately Amiss is looking like an out and out gun. He seems to go under the radar somewhat but is the best KPF prospect from WA since Hogan.

They essentially swapped Cerra for Amiss, and have come out in front.

I could easily see him going toe to toe with Jamarra for best forward in the game.

Kicked 40+ goals in just his second year. At this rate he is likely to be better than Allen by a considerable margin.

Another 4 goals on the weekend.

I think we will look back and consider Maric an absolute steal on same level as Newcombe for Hawks.

I think this guy is going to be a star, his skills are really good for a 196cm forward. Look forward to seeing what he becomes after a couple of pre seasons. The impact he made last year was fantastic and our forward line seemed to function much better when he was playing. Stoked he signed on until the end of 2026.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if there’d be a new midyear spoon. Like stainless steel or something
A teaspoon? Or a plastic spoon?

Anyhoo...going on last year, this guy Maric went straight in what, a week after being picked up, kicked 1st goal/1st game and continued to get goals in games after, as only a young-un with hardly any bulk or muscle...he's going to be okay!

Said it before the draft last year but he truly is and was us getting a top 15 pick with pick 1 in the MSD by getting in early. His field kicking is absolutely elite and for that we simply need to get him as a deliverer of the ball into the inside 50. Yesterday was one of his better games for the main part that he was always on the move and was really hunting the ball. When we are not doing as well he tends to sit deeper and not get himself involved in the play as much as he can actually do (confidence maybe?)

Id like to see him trialled at HBF also much like we have Ryan due to that elite ball kicking also. To me the contract renewal was a bit short. Id like to have got him on til 2028 myself. He has a long career ahead

Said it before the draft last year but he truly is and was us getting a top 15 pick with pick 1 in the MSD by getting in early. His field kicking is absolutely elite and for that we simply need to get him as a deliverer of the ball into the inside 50. Yesterday was one of his better games for the main part that he was always on the move and was really hunting the ball. When we are not doing as well he tends to sit deeper and not get himself involved in the play as much as he can actually do (confidence maybe?)

Id like to see him trialled at HBF also much like we have Ryan due to that elite ball kicking also. To me the contract renewal was a bit short. Id like to have got him on til 2028 myself. He has a long career ahead
yeah 100% agree Maric has been a steal for us - great kick (on show with the 3/4 time goal). Trial HB would be good - will be interesting to see whether he stays slim or tries to put on a bit of size.
My guess is the club had '3rd tall fwd' in mind in case snake didn't turn out as he has in the last 2 weeks - feels nice that we have 'good problems' again.

The more I see of this guy, the more I want to see him blossom into McGovern's replacement.

The more I see of this guy, the more I want to see him blossom into McGovern's replacement.
If im thinking current day players I think he is Jack Gunston style forward and that is where his best football will be. As a defender I think he is more of a third tall then a McGovern. I still think we gotta see what he could do in defense as given we aint going to win a flag, no reason to not trial people and see what happens

Said it in another thread but id like to see Archer Reid be the next McGovern

If im thinking current day players I think he is Jack Gunston style forward and that is where his best football will be. As a defender I think he is more of a third tall then a McGovern. I still think we gotta see what he could do in defense as given we aint going to win a flag, no reason to not trial people and see what happens

Jordan Dawson. make it happen simmo

I think he's more of a Sicily than McGovern in style. I just meant replace McGovern in the line-up.

McGovern plays his best matches when he's allowed to play as an unaccountable 3rd tall anyway.

Maric playing as a CHB or floating 3rd back, is a weapon as he'd be delivering inside 50 frequently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back