List Mgmt. Welcome Tyler Brockman (Traded for Picks 44 and 63 in 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

We treated Liam Ryan with kid gloves because he was a star (at the time) not sure we'll be so lenient with Brockman.

$5k fine and loss of license for 12-18 months, most likely outcome.

Mate of mine did the exact same thing in Launceston around 20 years ago, except he was going 100km in a 50 zone and was drunk at the time, which was his 2nd drink driving offence...

Simpson addressed this very well in the post game press conference

Will support him but also need to hold him accountable whilst acknowledging we’ve dealt with similar issues in the past

Confident we’ll find the right balance

Club statement:

Young Waalitj Marawar forward Tyler Brockman will be participating in a wellbeing and education program within the club as he strives to resume his career.

Brockman was stood down after a traffic incident in Geraldton earlier this month, with several charges announced by WA Police on the weekend.

Since that incident, which occurred after a family funeral, Brockman has gradually re-integrated back into the football program and he will be available to resume with the WAFL Eagles against Claremont on Saturday.

“Tyler has taken some steps forward since that incident and the support and education programs will be ongoing,” said General Manager of Football Gavin Bell.

“While he will be available to play in the WAFL this weekend he will not be considered for AFL selection until after the bye.

“As we have said from the outset, this is a complex matter and we must work with Tyler and use all resources at our disposal to help him work through these matters to help him make better decisions off-field. In turn that will help him reach his full potential on-field.

“The charges he faces are serious and we are disappointed that he has placed himself in this situation. We cannot comment on those charges as they are subject to a legal process and a court hearing.”

Brockman said he accepted responsibility for his actions and is committed to making the necessary adjustments.

“I would like to apologise for my actions. I accept I have to make some changes to meet AFL standards on and off the field,” Brockman said.

“I look forward to working on the things I need to so I can return to playing football.”

Tidy statement, does what it needs.

Back to playing footy and available for AFL after the bye. Sounds like a set timeline in place for Tyler to work through.

It happened, you don’t sack the guy on the first one, you do a bit of softly-softly and hopefully he can hold up his end of the deal.

Hopefully this is a Liam Ryan type situation where the new arrival genuinely accepts he stuffed up, cops the punishment, and never does anything like it again (so far).

Most importantly, just want him to get back to normal life, AFL football is secondary tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully gives himself an uppercut, pulls his head in and realises you only get one chance at this footy thing so don't piss it away.

Has a young family as well so needs to grow up and recognise they need their Husband/father in their lives, not wrapped around a tree.

As far as a player going "off the rails" - it can get much, much worse than this...

He has the mitigating circumstances of the 'grief' coming due to the funeral etc

I don't mean that in a bleeding heart sorta way - I just means it gives the club a certain level of wiggle room to go softer than you normally would and see if the guy can turn things around from here.

He’s ****ed up

Fortunately, nobody was injured due to his actions, including himself.

He gets some leeway due to it being his grandfather’s funeral which can understandably be an upsetting time for anyone

The courts will take care of the charges, he will have missed 6 games of AFL before he’s eligible for selection again but gets to maintain fitness and form in the WAFL after sitting out the last 3 weeks

He gets a second chance. Hopefully he doesn’t **** this one up and learns from his mistakes

Not like he went full Tarryn Thomas.

Made a mistake, owned up to it, we move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back