List Mgmt. Welcome Tyler Brockman (Traded for Picks 44 and 63 in 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a real test for the Eagles. He's left the scene of the accident and is yet to speak to police, so it's no longer possible to test his blood alcohol content. But Brockman knows if he was drinking and so should the club if he has been honest with them. If he was, he should be forced to do some education or community work with road safety and alcohol groups. Otherwise the lesson here is he can get away with it.

It is very Ben Cousinsesque.

I wonder how far we will go to shield him from legal/public scrutiny.

Dare I say it’ll be a case of raking him over coals internally but protecting him externally.

EDIT: I would say that we have known Brocky since pre-draft and whatefer “complicated personal situations” he has, we’d be well across them and we would have expected a bit of a slip up here and there, but you’re right, it is a bit of a test of how we manage it.

He'll get a small fine and a please expain from the club.

Lucky there was no one around to breatho him otherwise I imagine this would be a very different conversation.

So what we know is...

1. He was at a funeral (Grandfather who he was close to)
2. Early next morning car he was driving left the road and pole-axed a pole.
3. He left the scene.
4. No other cars involved.
5. No other people involved (no-one else in car)
6. He did not report the accident at the time.
7. Not breathalyzed due to leaving scene and not reporting.

What we don't know...

1. Drinking or not?
2. If so, to what level.
3. What he was doing from the end of the funeral until midnight-ish.

All other than the limited known stuff is speculation. For the moment I'll hold any judgement or criticism. If the speculation becomes fact then it will be disappointing. But until/if, I'll sit on hands.

He'll get a small fine and a please expain from the club.

Lucky there was no one around to breatho him otherwise I imagine this would be a very different conversation.
total speculation that he was drinking, but if he was, its lucky that he didnt kill someone, not that he didnt get caught.

total speculation that he was drinking, but if he was, its lucky that he didnt kill someone, not that he didnt get caught.

I hope it was simply panic that caused him not to report it but in my experience not calling someone after demoing a power pole (collision would have been pretty massive to do that .) usually is down to one thing.

Happy to be wrong about it.

Plenty of players have continued to have long careers after crashing their cars pissed or getting done drink driving. Not that it’s forgivable, but it’s not as if it’s a career killer for him.

The funeral component definitely helps his case, but if it becomes an ongoing thing then obviously need to be cut

Liam Ryan did the same thing a few years ago. Got suspended internally for 2 games but came back fine. Some of the players helped him out.

Concur with both of these posts

There’s a reason why clubs have indigenous welfare officers

And there was a reason why Simpson warned that clubs might be more conservative at the draft due to a reduced football depart cap. A warning that was mocked rather than heeded and is now proving to be somewhat prophetic given the decline of indigenous players in recent years

Indigenous players have unique circumstances that can require more than the usual amount of care

I’m sure the club will support him
Any sort of stats on how much less indigenous players have been recruited?

Genuinely curious.

So what we know is...

1. He was at a funeral (Grandfather who he was close to)
2. Early next morning car he was driving left the road and pole-axed a pole.
3. He left the scene.
4. No other cars involved.
5. No other people involved (no-one else in car)
6. He did not report the accident at the time.
7. Not breathalyzed due to leaving scene and not reporting.

What we don't know...

1. Drinking or not?
2. If so, to what level.
3. What he was doing from the end of the funeral until midnight-ish.

All other than the limited known stuff is speculation. For the moment I'll hold any judgement or criticism. If the speculation becomes fact then it will be disappointing. But until/if, I'll sit on hands.
I mean, he could've simply been absent-minded and left the scene, without realizing he needed to report it to the police maybe?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'll never know but it looks like he made a massive mistake, realised it and walked away. I was young once, and guilty of drink driving too.

Difference is, I am nobody and I dont get paids hundreds of thousands of dollars to be a role model for kids and the wider community. It was a dickhead move, and likely could have costed him his life or worse someone else.

Learn from it, and dont make the mistake again and we move on. Good luck to him, but its not a good start especially since he not lighting up the field either.

Wonder if COVID had some impact on Indigenous numbers.

But superficially ~9% seems reasonable.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Wondered that myself. I'd be intrigued if the 2020, 21 & 22 drafts had less indigenous kids. All going normally I'd say those number may jump up again over the next couple of years.

List sizes also reduced by 2 per club due to Covid which is a total of 36 less players across the league

Indigenous players are often at the development end of the bell curve so with no evidence to back me up that reduction in list size might have impacted indigenous boys more

I mean, he could've simply been absent-minded and left the scene, without realizing he needed to report it to the police maybe?

Hmm, if per the west article you’ve damaged a power pole that’s obstructing traffic (ie on the road) one would think it’s common sense to realise that’s a hazard to other people and should be reported. There may have been an electrocution risk in addition to a road hazard.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If true, plenty of Roos on Indian Ocean drive. Not sure why police would be “investigating though” if it was just a light crash after hitting a roo? One would suspect theres more to it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Was talking about my old boy, not Brocky

Wonder if COVID had some impact on Indigenous numbers.

But superficially ~9% seems reasonable.

IIRC - I seem to recall hearing the Indigenous younger players seem to be dropping off at a rate faster than the existing, senior cohort are leaving.

In other words existing numbers are skewed towards older players and while ~9% seems reasonable (IMO) the future ain’t so bright.

Again - I wonder what impact COVID had on those projections.

Funeral or not, if what the paper seems to be suggesting, without jumping the gun, if he's hit the sauce, hit a pole, driven off aka fled the scene and now subsequently raking the clubs name/reputation through the mud after how many years spent cleaning things up.... all in his first 6 months at the club... i'll be quite Unimpressed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back