Toast Well done Brad Sewell - 200 games

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Sewelly deserves more than 50 posts for his 200th. A loyal, hard working, unwaivering dedicated hawk that has played major roles in our most recent success..
Expecting big things this finals series..forget the H&A ..this it what Sewelly is built for.. Congrats

I've held off posting this for a little while, but I'm fortunate enough to know Brad reasonably well. We spent about 12 months on the board of Zaidee's Rainbow Foundation together as directors. Hawthorn supports Zaidee's Rainbow Foundation as one of its official charity partners. The Foundation is dedicated to raising the profile of organ and tissue donation in Australia, and is named after Zaidee Turner, who died aged 8 from a brain aneurysm. Her parents honoured her wish to donate her organs and tissue and set up the Foundation in her honour. It just so happened that a chairperson is the son-in-law of a prominent Hawthorn coterie member and needed a double lung transplant to live. The coterie member introduced the Foundation to Hawthorn and the rest is history.

Brad came aboard first as an ambassador for the Foundation, doing some promotional work pro bono. I had given legal advice to the Foundation also for pro bono and was then invited onto to the board of directors. About 12 months later, Brad joined the board. For the 12 months we spent together on the board, I found Brad to be an intelligent, forthright individual who contributed plenty to the board.

I'm not surprised to see Brad heavily involved in the AFLPA, as well as continuing his own education by completing an MBA at Monash University (together with Sam Mitchell). While his career is winding down with Hawthorn, I think that he'll find plenty of opportunities post footy.

I hope he bows out a triple premiership player, and it starts tomorrow night.

Congratulations Sewelly. A true Hawthorn player and warrior. Kennedy would have loved you in his Kennedy Commandoes.

I love Sewelly - he's been such a strong player for us, and he came through the hard way. I loved the quote from Hodgey about how hard Brad worked, just to break into the team, and if he put such an effort in as well, he'd be an elite player instead of a great player (along those lines anyway, it was a long time ago) - and I thought how brilliant that was at the time. Maybe Luke wouldn't have been half the player he became if he hadn't had people like Sewell and Mitch showing them how they were striving to get into the team.

Love watching the way Brad goes about it, and I love how he stays at the bottom of the pack and always fights to be the last person to touch the ball before it's thrown to the ump. It's that dogged determination that makes him the player that he is - a fearless contender, who would've stormed the Norm Smith had the game gone our way in 2012.

I reckon if he snags a 3rd Flag, he might just call it a day. One of my favourite current players, always gives his all, tremendous servant of the HFC. A Hatrick would be befitting of a great career.

Sewell is a big game player, big game rises to the top in September, we need you tonight my friend. Win this and its only 2 more games before he is a 3 timer premiship player.

I've held off posting this for a little while, but I'm fortunate enough to know Brad reasonably well. We spent about 12 months on the board of Zaidee's Rainbow Foundation together as directors. Hawthorn supports Zaidee's Rainbow Foundation as one of its official charity partners. The Foundation is dedicated to raising the profile of organ and tissue donation in Australia, and is named after Zaidee Turner, who died aged 8 from a brain aneurysm. Her parents honoured her wish to donate her organs and tissue and set up the Foundation in her honour. It just so happened that a chairperson is the son-in-law of a prominent Hawthorn coterie member and needed a double lung transplant to live. The coterie member introduced the Foundation to Hawthorn and the rest is history.

Brad came aboard first as an ambassador for the Foundation, doing some promotional work pro bono. I had given legal advice to the Foundation also for pro bono and was then invited onto to the board of directors. About 12 months later, Brad joined the board. For the 12 months we spent together on the board, I found Brad to be an intelligent, forthright individual who contributed plenty to the board.

I'm not surprised to see Brad heavily involved in the AFLPA, as well as continuing his own education by completing an MBA at Monash University (together with Sam Mitchell). While his career is winding down with Hawthorn, I think that he'll find plenty of opportunities post footy.

I hope he bows out a triple premiership player, and it starts tomorrow night.

I think he can go again and
I hope he bows out a quadruple premiership player.

Congrats Sewell, a magnificent effort for a once nuggety back pocket. Super consistent footballer and one of the good guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Sewella, I really thought you'd be in for this grand final but Clarko has disagreed.

Fairly certain that this will be the end for the great man. :(
He really has carried himself well over these last couple of weeks. He must be gutted, but he's given solid support to the team, especially the youngsters. A real great bloke. Hopefully he can stay around the club next year.

I reckon if he was not on 199 games, he might not have been selected for the first final.
Will he retire?
Does he get a lap around the ground before the GF with Goo?

I reckon if he was not on 199 games, he might not have been selected for the first final.
Will he retire?
Does he get a lap around the ground before the GF with Goo?
I think he'll play on. Probably elsewhere though.

Going a bit early aren't we - I hope he goes again. Had a rough time with injury this season and a good pre season could see him regain some form (I hope).

If he would be happy to hang around to play 10-14 games next year (barring injury) and do some mentoring work, that would be bloody sensational. Wouldn't begrudge him having a year or two elsewhere, but it would hurt seeing him in other colors, he's been such a solid part of our team for many years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back