Opinion West Coast Eagles WA Day Game v Richmond - Thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just as a follow up to what i said above, I actually am for the Eagles and Dockers having a side in the WAFL. But not a host club arrangement. I mean a fair dinkum side that plays for points, finals the whole lot.
'As Marlin said above the WAFL should look to the future and go along for the ride.

But I still do not understand why an AFL club is asking another competition to help them with their issues. Give Demetriou a call and get him to fix your problems.

I am posing this question towards those who know more about the WAFL competition than i do.

Being an Eagles supporter i am frustrated by the WAFL'S reluctance to allow us to have a reserves side where we can properly develop our fringe and junior players by having them play a style that will benefit our senior side. Having all our players in one team allows us to develop players in the positions we want them to play, how we wish to manage them and what we want them to improve upon and learn so they can step into the seniors when they are ready while they are learning our structures.

From an outsiders perspective having all of our players divided up over multiple teams gives the club little flexibility as to who plays, how much they play, what their roles are and what we require of them. We do not have the authority to dictate to WAFL clubs everything we want which makes the relationship difficult.

This puts our development behind the clubs in Victoria that are able to do this. I understand the WAFL'S concerns in regards to their competition but the Eagles are a business and organization that have an obligation to do what's best for themselves first and foremost. We should be giving ourselves every chance to develop players to their maximum potential and that can only happen under the system we are proposing.

My question is this, and this is purely from an Eagles supporters standpoint.

Why should we look after the WAFL when they will not help us look after our own?

It's seems like double standards to me.

Exactly my point, * the WAFL and their sub standard competition and governance.

Thinking through it - the Perth derby should take advantage of it if they can and push a double-header marketing approach.

If the WAFL schedule the game for Leederville oval. Offer a 15% discount for Eagles members - and perhaps provide a courtesy buy for the seniors after the game.

Might be a great day of footy - watch the Falcons smash the Royals - finish by 4.50 - walk 15 minutes to Subi and see the Eagles triumph.

Footy from 2pm to 9pm - might work

I'm an East Perth and Eagles member and would love this. The EP v Munchers game should be played at Leederville. Royals thrash the lowly Munchers and plenty of time to get to Subi afterwards.

I'm an East Perth and Eagles member and would love this. The EP v Munchers game should be played at Leederville. Royals thrash the lowly Munchers and plenty of time to get to Subi afterwards.

Oh it's on!!!

On like

images

There is many answers to these questions Puma. The system has worked well for 25 years. Because an Eagles administrator said we need a reserves side then apparantly all eagles members think we do.
They Point to Collingwood and Geelong, but the Bulldogs have their own side and how are they going? You are always still going to only be as good as your list allows you to be.
The WAFL is also a business and while not as large in anyway as the AFL it is still a business.
Again no one has said to the Eagles they cannot have a reserves side. Just not in the WAFL. By all means have a reserves side though.

Look I could go on for hours here but it would just be pointless on this board so I won't.
I don't agree with your question or assumption as I think the WAFL has done a hell of a lot more for the Eagles than the Eagles have ever done for them.

Thank-you for replying, i understand this issue is somewhat personal for you as you clearly have a love and affiliation with the WAFL. It's your prerogative not to agree with my question however my assumption comes from an Eagles supporter who does not support any WAFL side and therefore wants what is best for my club. Pointing to an agreement that has been in place for the last 25 years though is somewhat obtuse. Since the Eagles joined the national competition 26 years ago there have been five more clubs to join the competition (four if you deduct Fitzroy).
Players are now considered professional athletes as football is their sole occupation, whereas back in the 80's players still had other jobs or learned trades. The game has evolved into a multi billion dollar business and evolving with it is the logical solution. Remember that in the 80's the WAFL was dead broke and insolvent as Victoria constantly stole the best W.A talent for themselves and in the end refused to pay the 60,000 dollar transfer that had been in place which which was then put back into the clubs. So from one perspective you could say the Eagles have given a hell of a lot to the WAFL and western australian football in general. Unless i am mistaken and the Eagles no longer pay percentages and fees to the WAFL?

I appreciate that as an Eagles supporter you do not agree with the administration's opinion that we need a reserves side in the WAFL however you also have the WAFL's best interest at heart which means you have one foot in either camp, making decisions that would benefit the Eagles not so black & white for you. Like with everything pointing at something as a comparison will have both positives and negatives and while i agree that you are only as good as your list i find it hard to see how you could disagree that having our players, those who are drafted by the Eagles and on our payroll play their footy the way we wish them to play could be seen as anything but a positive.

I will drop this conversation now as i don't wish it to become an argument but my affiliation and loyalty is strictly to the Eagles and i will always want what is best for them above all else. If playing on W.A day is something the club wants then i back them 100 percent.

Dare I suggest that this is the AFL firing a shot across the WAFC's bow, and that this response is the club doing its best to avoid getting hit in any crossfire?

Either way, the only thing that will resolve the issue is the cold hard crowd figures on the day.

Given our statement, we requested the night fixture - the AFL are simply meeting our demands.

I must admit I initially though the fixture was catering to Vic demand, but our press release is fairly clear on it.

Given our statement, we requested the night fixture - the AFL are simply meeting our demands.

We requested the night fixture, off the back of a third party 'invitation' which ultimately fell to the AFL to accept or reject. Might well have started out as a day fixture! There's multiple ways it could have played out... my distrust of the AFL takes care of the rest :confused:

Thinking through it - the Perth derby should take advantage of it if they can and push a double-header marketing approach.

If the WAFL schedule the game for Leederville oval. Offer a 15% discount for Eagles members - and perhaps provide a courtesy buy for the seniors after the game.

Might be a great day of footy - watch the Falcons smash the Royals - finish by 4.50 - walk 15 minutes to Subi and see the Eagles triumph.

Sounds like a pretty awesome idea to me.

This is the sort of thinking that people need to apply in these situations.

Rather than put there tin foil hats on, shout out conspiracy and ask for a 50K handout from the WAFC. Very undignified display today by the WAFL IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I appreciate that as an Eagles supporter you do not agree with the administration's opinion that we need a reserves side in the WAFL however you also have the WAFL's best interest at heart which means you have one foot in either camp, making decisions that would benefit the Eagles not so black & white for you. Like with everything pointing at something as a comparison will have both positives and negatives and while i agree that you are only as good as your list i find it hard to see how you could disagree that having our players, those who are drafted by the Eagles and on our payroll play their footy the way we wish them to play could be seen as anything but a positive. ....

We all understand the eagles and dockers wish for their reserve players to play together in one team - it is perfectly understandable. The problem is they come to the WAFL "demanding" a place without telling us what the benefits of such a move would be. Any decision made on this issue should be a win/win for both camps. Unfortunately the original reserves proposal was full of holes and even the 2 AFL clubs have backed away from it now as they realised it was too hard to get it right.

The eagles and dockers have been very lazy on this issue and have expected everyone to sort it out for them when it should be them coming up with an attractive proposal. Had they taken the time and found an attractive way to set up "new" reserve sides in the WAFL that guaranteed a more prosperous WAFL and proved non-dilution of the talent pool then who knows...

This is the sort of thinking that people need to apply in these situations.

Rather than put there tin foil hats on, shout out conspiracy and ask for a 50K handout from the WAFC. Very undignified display today by the WAFL IMO.

I agree. I have often gone to an East Perth game at Leederville, changed my scarf after the game and then headed off to Subi to watch the Eagles. It's not that hard.

It's not hard if you're a single footy fanatic. If you have kids or a Mrs who isn't quite as interested in footy, it's an impossibility.

I am a football tragic - not single but my husband knows where he stands in the grand scheme of things. He always has a glass of wine waiting for me when I get home - and usually dinner as well :)

Why should we look after the WAFL when they will not help us look after our own?

It's seems like double standards to me.
They do help us. They allow our players to play in their league. They could turn around tomorrow and declare no AFL listed players are allowed to play WAFL football if they wanted. What would we do then? I wonder how the AFL would like that return of fire...

Additionally, as mentioned, the WAFL and its clubs have not been closed to proposals from the AFL clubs. However, they need assurances and value to justify the risk. They simply don't see value at this stage of the negotiations. There is nothing wrong with having that stance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back