2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow, a ripping goal from Harvey Johnston late in the term. Ball was pinging around inside our 50 about 40m out, Johnston came sprinting from the wing into the 50, got the handball receive at full pelt, sold the dummy, weaved inside through traffic and kicked a checkside goal from 25 out.

Sparked a bit of a scuffle too as Harvey got into one of the Perth players afterward.

Hopefully there is some sort of secret stream of this game and that footage gets released at some point

Be surprised if the club isn’t taking some footage

Wow, a ripping goal from Harvey Johnston late in the term. Ball was pinging around inside our 50 about 40m out, Johnston came sprinting from the wing into the 50, got the handball receive at full pelt, sold the dummy, weaved inside through traffic and kicked a checkside goal from 25 out.

Sparked a bit of a scuffle too as Harvey got into one of the Perth players afterward.

Hopefully there is some sort of secret stream of this game and that footage gets released at some point
Saw a bit of him at Sandy, great candy seller

I’ve heard enough.
IN: Hall, Burgiel, Johnston
OUT: LEdwards, Witho, Gaff

All done at Lathlain, the Beagles coming out 47-point winners against Perth in a performance with plenty of positives. After a fairly sloppy first half we broke away in the third term and finished strong to win 15.7 (97) against Perth’s 7.8 (50).

I’ll probably just go through each AFL-listed player (and then some others) and share how they went from my point of view:
  • 24. Harvey Johnston - Got a decent amount of the footy on the wing and kicked 2 goals - one from a couple of metres out with a handball over the top, and the other a brilliant checkside in the final term which I described earlier. It’s funny - before his second goal I would’ve actually described his performance as pretty shaky. While the goal in question was very good and showed his talent, he just looked a bit panicked at times with ball in hand and made a few pretty basic errors which he wouldn’t make at training. Might need to show some patience with him - I reckon he just needs time to adjust to the pace of playing against men, but today definitely showed the talent is there.
  • 26. Zane Trew - A good return from a preseason back injury from Trew, played exclusively midfield and was busy and involved in the game. Kicked a goal as well but finished at 3QT as the club managed his minutes upon his return
  • 29. Clay Hall - Like Trew he was promising in his return from an ankle injury. Had a great second quarter (though he did miss a goal he probably should’ve kicked). I liked his flair and attack on the footy, looked pretty comfortable at the level. Also finished up at 3QT.
  • 30. Harry Barnett - A lot to like from Harry’s game. Held his own in the ruck contests and even started to dominate the taps as the game wore on. Took a nice contested grab in the first term and overall competed well in the air. Kicked a goal in the final term. If there’s one criticism of his game it was that he chose to kick rather than handball a few too many times - as a ruck the ball takes a while to get to his foot and it got him in trouble a couple of times. Still a pretty good performance though - just trying to be balanced here
  • 31. Jamaine Jones - Was solid without being a standout like you might expect for someone of his experience. Produced a few decent runs out of defence, took a couple of good intercept marks in the final quarter. Left shoulder was pretty heavily strapped.
  • 34. Jack Williams - A strong performance up forward. Took several strong marks and converted his chances, finishing with 3.1. Amazing what playing in a competitive team can do for players.
  • 35. Josh Rotham - I’d put his game in the same category as Jones, solid without standing out too much. Produced a couple of nice defensive efforts. Finished at 3QT as we manage his minutes following a groin issue over preseason
  • 36. Loch Rawlinson - Must say he didn’t stand out heaps to me, but did do a couple of nice things. Faded in and out of the game a bit but ran hard and applied good pressure.
  • 38. Jordyn Baker - Promising performance from Baker. Had a couple of nice rebounding plays where he looked composed and skilled coming out of defence.
  • 39. Coen Livingstone - Kicked our first goal of the game after taking a strong pack mark at the top of the square and remained involved and competitive throughout. I like his aggression and attack on the footy.
  • 41. Ryan Maric - Kicked an early goal from a pretty difficult angle but overall it wasn’t Maric’s best day. Didn’t look as clean as we’re used to seeing from him, seemed to struggle to find space in traffic. I think it’s easy to forget he’s still a 19 year old rookie - still very young and will be better for the run. EDIT: Looking back it seems like he in fact kicked 2 (WAFL website is cooked so can't confirm the goalscorers). Maybe not such a bad game after all
  • 45. Coby Burgiel - Once again one of our best. A fairly quiet start to the game but worked into the game really nicely and just looks so calm and composed when he has the footy. If we judged him purely on his offensive game he would surely be close to making the AFL side, which makes me think there’s other aspects to his game that the coaches want him to work on. WAFL stats person must be on drugs because he definitely did not kick 4 goals as the website suggests.
Of our WAFL-listed players Shannon Lucassen was by far the best. Kicked 2 goals and had a hand in many others - as I said before he looks a good find for us. Jason Gillbee did a few nice things on the wing, Harley Sparks also looked pretty good. Revis Alone and Rory Charles provided some terrific speed and pressure as the game went on. Some of Darby McCarthy’s defensive efforts were commendable, while Luke Yeo kicked 2 goals in his first unofficial appearance. Overall it was encouraging to see and hear lots of players being vocal and providing positive encouragement on the field, always getting around guys who put in an extra effort or did something team-oriented.

A few other tidbits:
  • Harry Edwards was on the sidelines throughout the game wearing a headset - looked like he was doing a bit of coaching
  • Jackson Nelson was also near the interchange bench providing encouragement and support. FWIW he wasn’t wearing anything like a brace to suggest a recent injury setback
  • Also spotted Elijah Hewett and Archer Reid watching from the sidelines, though neither was wearing a club polo like Harry Edwards was
  • No obvious injury concerns from today

Last edited:
All done at Lathlain, the Beagles coming out 48-point winners against Perth in a performance with plenty of positives. After a fairly sloppy first half we broke away in the third term and finished strong to win 15.4 (94) against Perth’s 7.4 (46).

I’ll probably just go through each AFL-listed player (and then some others) and share how they went from my point of view:
  • 24. Harvey Johnston - Got a decent amount of the footy on the wing and kicked 2 goals - one from a couple of metres out with a handball over the top, and the other a brilliant checkside in the final term which I described earlier. It’s funny - before his second goal I would’ve actually described his performance as pretty shaky. While the goal in question was very good and showed his talent, he just looked a bit panicked at times with ball in hand and made a few pretty basic errors which he wouldn’t make at training. Might need to show some patience with him - I reckon he just needs time to adjust to the pace of playing against men, but today definitely showed the talent is there.
  • 26. Zane Trew - A good return from a preseason back injury from Trew, played exclusively midfield and was busy and involved in the game. Kicked a goal as well but finished at 3QT as the club managed his minutes upon his return
  • 29. Clay Hall - Like Trew he was promising in his return from an ankle injury. Had a great second quarter (though he did miss a goal he probably should’ve kicked). I liked his flair and attack on the footy, looked pretty comfortable at the level. Also finished up at 3QT.
  • 30. Harry Barnett - A lot to like from Harry’s game. Held his own in the ruck contests and even started to dominate the taps as the game wore on. Took a nice contested grab in the first term and overall competed well in the air. Kicked a goal in the final term. If there’s one criticism of his game it was that he chose to kick rather than handball a few too many times - as a ruck the ball takes a while to get to his foot and it got him in trouble a couple of times. Still a pretty good performance though - just trying to be balanced here
  • 31. Jamaine Jones - Was solid without being a standout like you might expect for someone of his experience. Produced a few decent runs out of defence, took a couple of good intercept marks in the final quarter. Left shoulder was pretty heavily strapped.
  • 34. Jack Williams - A strong performance up forward. Took several strong marks and converted his chances, finishing with 3.1. Amazing what playing in a competitive team can do for players.
  • 35. Josh Rotham - I’d put his game in the same category as Jones, solid without standing out too much. Produced a couple of nice defensive efforts. Finished at 3QT as we manage his minutes following a groin issue over preseason
  • 36. Loch Rawlinson - Must say he didn’t stand out heaps to me, but did do a couple of nice things. Faded in and out of the game a bit but ran hard and applied good pressure.
  • 38. Jordyn Baker - Promising performance from Baker. Had a couple of nice rebounding plays where he looked composed and skilled coming out of defence.
  • 39. Coen Livingstone - Kicked our first goal of the game after taking a strong pack mark at the top of the square and remained involved and competitive throughout. I like his aggression and attack on the footy.
  • 41. Ryan Maric - Kicked an early goal from a pretty difficult angle but overall it wasn’t Maric’s best day. Didn’t look as clean as we’re used to seeing from him, seemed to struggle to find space in traffic. I think it’s easy to forget he’s still a 19 year old rookie - still very young and will be better for the run.
  • 45. Coby Burgiel - Once again one of our best. A fairly quiet start to the game but worked into the game really nicely and just looks so calm and composed when he has the footy. If we judged him purely on his offensive game he would surely be close to making the AFL side, which makes me think there’s other aspects to his game that the coaches want him to work on. WAFL stats person must be on drugs because he definitely did not kick 4 goals as the website suggests.
Of our WAFL-listed players Shannon Lucassen was by far the best. Kicked 3 goals and had a hand in many others - as I said before he looks a good find for us. Jason Gillbee did a few nice things on the wing, Harley Sparks also looked pretty good. Revis Alone and Rory Charles provided some terrific speed and pressure as the game went on. Some of Darby McCarthy’s defensive efforts were commendable, while Luke Yeo had some decent moments in his first unofficial appearance. Overall it was encouraging to see and hear lots of players being vocal and providing positive encouragement on the field, always getting around guys who put in an extra effort or did something team-oriented.

A few other tidbits:
  • Harry Edwards was on the sidelines throughout the game wearing a headset - looked like he was doing a bit of coaching
  • Jackson Nelson was also near the interchange bench providing encouragement and support. FWIW he wasn’t wearing anything like a brace to suggest a recent injury setback
  • Also spotted Elijah Hewett and Archer Reid watching from the sidelines, though neither was wearing a club polo like Harry Edwards was
  • No obvious injury concerns from today

Outstanding - kudos to you and CountryLad (up until he had to check his balls back in 😜) for all the great info.

Second-year big man Harry Barnett made a strong case to help fill West Coast’s ruck void triggered by the long-term hamstring injury sustained by recruit Matt Flynn, dominating Saturday night’s WAFL practice match between the Eagles reserves team and Perth.

Barnett, 20, played just one AFL game last season, coming on as a substitute late in the round 16 loss to St Kilda and registering just two disposals and one hit-out.

But after starting in the middle against the Demons on Saturday at Mineral Resources Park, the 203cm tall got first hands on the football at stoppages and clunked a big grab in the opening quarter before moving forward where he kicked a goal

West Coast were forced to re-jig their ruck combination after 26-year-old Flynn, who moved from GWS during the off-season as a free agent, went down on the eve of the season with a hamstring tendon injury that required surgery.

Flynn is expected to miss at least the first two months of the season as a result with Bailey Williams, who spent the summer training to play predominantly as a forward, thrust back into the No.1 ruck role.

Barnett combined well with new draftee Clay Hall and fourth-year Eagle Zane Trew in the midfield before being relieved by rookie Coen Livingstone in the ruck.

Second year recruit Coby Burgiel was unstoppable up forward bagging four goals.

His first season at the club was impacted with repeated hamstring injuries restricting him to just three WAFL games.

The young goal sneak has had a solid preseason and will be pushing to make his senior team debut.

Victorian draftee Harvey Johnston also impressed, kicking two goals much to the delight of his team

Key forward Jack Williams was strong up front finishing the game with three goals and one behind

Josh Rotham was hardly in the first quarter before spending most of the second quarter on the bench, appearing to be on managed minutes. He came to life in the third quarter with two contested marks inside 50

While Perth was missing many of its big names the 47 point win is encouraging for Eagles given that they have only won one game in the last two seasons.

The WAFL season proper starts in just under two weeks over the Easter long weekend.

-----------------------------------------------------

The west Article about the match, obviously not checking who did what as they also report the 4 goals to Burgs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outstanding - kudos to you and CountryLad (up until he had to check his balls back in 😜) for all the great info.
Who said romance is dead?

“We’re going to watch the first three quarters of a pre-season WAFL practice match before heading around the corner to the Albany Highway strip for dinner”.

In all seriousness, appreciate the reports CountryLad and LittleFires 👍

Second year recruit Coby Burgiel was unstoppable up forward bagging four goals.

His first season at the club was impacted with repeated hamstring injuries restricting him to just three WAFL games.

The young goal sneak has had a solid preseason and will be pushing to make his senior team debut.
“The young goal sneak,” JFC 🤣

Yeah looked a young side as posted in here earlier.
A lot of the names in the Perth side I recognised from their WAFL Colts grand final side last season.

Though you’d think they’d all be aiming to make the move to League level this year. Still makes it a young lineup I suppose.

I’ll take any win for our club at the minute; they’ve been like rocking horse poo the last few years.

Let’s not pretend we had a particularly old side out there tonight either :

Livingstone, Rawlinson, Hall and Johnston all 18 and in their first year in an AFL list

Burgiel, Maric and Baker all 19 and in their second year on AFL list. So is Barnett who just turned 20

Gilbee who’s not currently on an AFL list is 19

Williams is 20 and Trew 21

Leaves Jones and Rotham as the only genuinely experienced players that played

The rest were topup players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back