2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

you think the wafc are giving the eagles B side the same recruiting concessions as the other clubs?

No of course not. Do the other WAFL clubs have access to play up to 19 AFL listed players? Seriously you can't just ignore the facts.

In what universe can they have the same recruiting rules and the same salary cap and have access to 19 AFL listed players?

Some of you just don't get it.

No of course not. Do the other WAFL clubs have access to play up to 19 AFL listed players? Seriously you can't just ignore the facts.

In what universe can they have the same recruiting rules and the same salary cap and have access to 19 AFL listed players?

look im for keeping the integrity of the wafl, dont get me wrong, big Subi supporter here, been with them longer than the WC Eagles have been around, but having different rules for different clubs is bad. Perhaps a national reserves comp will e good for both leagues?

look im for keeping the integrity of the wafl, dont get me wrong, big Subi supporter here, been with them longer than the WC Eagles have been around, but having different rules for different clubs is bad. Perhaps a national reserves comp will e good for both leagues?

But you understand why they can't operate on the same footing surely?
Personally I would give them the same recruiting rules, it's pretty close now anyway. But never ever can they have the same salary cap. In fact what they get now is about 15% too much.

But you understand why they can't operate on the same footing surely?
Personally I would give them the same recruiting rules, it's pretty close now anyway. But never ever can they have the same salary cap. In fact what they get now is about 15% too much.
yeah, its on how they value each afl player, against a wafl player etc... so its speculative on what each player is worth.

i think a national reserves league will be good for the wafl

Agree with you that they shouldn’t be the same.

However I find it a stretch to claim that Rookie Cat B players are AFL listed players. They are generally very raw particularly in there first few years and would struggle to get a game of league at any other club.

Agree with you that they shouldn’t be the same.

However I find it a stretch to claim that Rookie Cat B players are AFL listed players. They are generally very raw particularly in there first few years and would struggle to get a game of league at any other club.

Thats all good and well but they are getting well paid no matter what and they are listed so unfortunately it is what it is. We all know there is 10 players on every AFL list that would not be regular WAFL league players. But it's not my system, it's their system.

For the majority I guess yeah - also the majority we probably aren’t keen to retain anyway…

But look at a guy like Jackson Nelson, and Hamish Brayshaw before him.

“Thank you for your service to the club, we’ve talked about where we are at with the list and even though we don’t have a place for you at AFL level, we absolutely value you and believe you can play a key role in leading our WAFL team. Your professionalism, hard work and team first attitude is exactly the kind of example we want the young players at the club to follow and we are very keen to keep great Eagles people involved in the club”

Plus other opportunities that no doubt exist when working for the Eagles.

It’s an AFL club. It might be as appealing as a bout of the clap at the moment but it won’t always be that way.
At least with clap you get some excitement beforehand.

It’s never been made particularly clear what is, or isn’t, included in the soft cap from our WAFL costs

My best guess is that the annual license fee paid to the WAFC (about $600k) and the match payments to top up players aren’t included. But the wages for coaches and support staff are

Information on what is in the soft cap overall is actually quite hard to find

Sounds a bit of a mess. Have to consider whether we'd be better just having players distributed throughout the wafl and redirect resources elsewhere given things haven't gone that well for almost 3 years.

Sounds a bit of a mess. Have to consider whether we'd be better just having players distributed throughout the wafl and redirect resources elsewhere given things haven't gone that well for almost 3 years.

Personally I think we should sit down with Perth and find a way to have a temporary alignment until the inevitable AFL reserves comp comes in

Should be no more than 5 years and if it’s made clear to the Perth members it’s a short term arrangement it might be possible to get them onboard

Personally I think we should sit down with Perth and find a way to have a temporary alignment until the inevitable AFL reserves comp comes in

Should be no more than 5 years and if it’s made clear to the Perth members it’s a short term arrangement it might be possible to get them onboard
Think it will help if we agree to play some of the really inexperienced/developing kids in the reserves to avoid the mass exoduses that eventually happened at EP cos their players couldn't get a game.

Apparently Harry Edwards has been suspended for a week from Saturdays match

Disappointing

He’s insane.

I don’t mind a bit of aggression, in fact it’s a good thing, but Edwards is selfish and too
Hot headed.

Always see him having a crack at his team
Mates, usually when it’s actually his fault, and is always good for sniping an oppo forward with a late hit in a marking contest.

Delist. Can’t wait to see the back of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Harry Edwards has been suspended for a week from Saturdays match

Disappointing

His whole bloody AFL career is straight up disappointing. 6th season on our list now.

Can't wait for another offseason article telling me he's grown another 10cm and now stands at 228cm tall.

If he's not injured he's deadset average. Strung together a few games between 21-22 but he doesn't look to have improved. Bloke needs to be stepping up and having a strong season whilst he's in the WAFL or he'll be in the scrap heap.

His whole bloody AFL career is straight up disappointing. 6th season on our list now.

Can't wait for another offseason article telling me he's grown another 10cm and now stands at 228cm tall.

If he's not injured he's deadset average. Strung together a few games between 21-22 but he doesn't look to have improved. Bloke needs to be stepping up and having a strong season whilst he's in the WAFL or he'll be in the scrap heap.

That him and Witherden could not shut down key forwards at WAFL level speaks volumes of where they are at. Although I will say if they are following Simmo's plan to guard space and not play on anyone then the WAFL forwards will run them a merry dance also, which seems to of been the case on the weekend.

How much would he weigh then?

I get the pick, it was worth the punt, absolutely. A lot of upside with the Hedwards selection. It always just sounded better in theory than actual results though. Was a midfielder and supposedly had "midfielder esq skills" before his growth spurt etc etc but that's hard to believe when he's always looked pretty lumbering and KPD ish. You see many ruckman with better skills and more agility than Edwards.

We've probably given it a year too long to run than we had to, he's fortunate due to the fact we've got high turnover with our list and he's at the right age bracket. He was also dead for all of last year as well.

Add a KPD to the shopping trolley next draft along with another KPF (Darling replacement) and top tier midfielder (Harley sidekick).

Another reason why it's imperitive we put the hand out, swallow the pride and request the draft priority pick assistance. It's either we get it or they s**t tin priority picks entirely. Under no circumstances should we be saying no only for next year other clubs to be saying yes.

Every pick counts, every 2nd rounder, there's so much deadwood to replace. Trew, Ledwards, Witherden, Jones, Rotham types. Along with Darling and Gaff retiring. Barrass is a club champ and came from pick #43 in 2013 after all. Gov rookie etc etc.

I get the pick, it was worth the punt, absolutely. A lot of upside with the Hedwards selection. It always just sounded better in theory than actual results though. Was a midfielder and supposedly had "midfielder esq skills" before his growth spurt etc etc but that's hard to believe when he's always looked pretty lumbering and KPD ish. You see many ruckman with better skills and more agility than Edwards.

We've probably given it a year too long to run than we had to, he's fortunate due to the fact we've got high turnover with our list and he's at the right age bracket. He was also dead for all of last year as well.

Add a KPD to the shopping trolley next draft along with another KPF (Darling replacement) and top tier midfielder (Harley sidekick).

Another reason why it's imperitive we put the hand out, swallow the pride and request the draft priority pick assistance. It's either we get it or they s**t tin priority picks entirely. Under no circumstances should we be saying no only for next year other clubs to be saying yes.

Every pick counts, every 2nd rounder, there's so much deadwood to replace. Trew, Ledwards, Witherden, Jones, Rotham types. Along with Darling and Gaff retiring. Barrass is a club champ and came from pick #43 in 2013 after all. Gov rookie etc etc.

Trew is putting together, stats wise anyway, a very good year, and is our best performed player in the Beagles. I wouldn't be too hasty on him, as he has been crippled by injury these past two years. Plus, he did well in an Eagle's game at the back end of '23, maybe the last game of the season, I don't recall exactly, but he was good. He can play.

Trew is putting together, stats wise anyway, a very good year, and is our best performed player in the Beagles. I wouldn't be too hasty on him, as he has been crippled by injury these past two years. Plus, he did well in an Eagle's game at the back end of '23, maybe the last game of the season, I don't recall exactly, but he was good. He can play.
Given he’s out of contract this year I hope he can get a string of AFL games to dis/prove his worth.

He’s insane.

I don’t mind a bit of aggression, in fact it’s a good thing, but Edwards is selfish and too
Hot headed.

Always see him having a crack at his team
Mates, usually when it’s actually his fault, and is always good for sniping an oppo forward with a late hit in a marking contest.

Delist. Can’t wait to see the back of him.
Are you seeing that at wafl level only? Never noticed it when he was in the seniors.
He was so promising early on in his career but has regressed so badly. Shame.
On the delist pile now

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

He’s got the best hands in the team, be great to see him with a 6 game run in the midfield, needs to become more resilient.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back