Western Border Football League - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

You're right, just checked the vcfl website. So who has any info???

Hamilton sides to merge and join the hampden with the door open for portland. Naracoorte, penola and pt macdonnell to join a renamed western border in 2013 and 2014. Sandford and casterton to merge with a possibly of starting up a new mt gambier club.

I think North would be pretty disappointed to loose Mcconnell particularly if it was something intentional i think their premiership hopes just took a serious nosedive if he is out for the season they will not be able to cover this!

Hamilton sides to merge and join the hampden with the door open for portland. Naracoorte, penola and pt macdonnell to join a renamed western border in 2013 and 2014. Sandford and casterton to merge with a possibly of starting up a new mt gambier club.

Ive just read the report off a newspaper websiteand having trouble believing it. Is this thing real???

According to the report they want another mt gambier club up and running within 5 years. Merger between sandford and casterton - how much stronger is casterton going to be.
Where is this new mt gambier club going to operate???

According to the report they want another mt gambier club up and running within 5 years. Merger between sandford and casterton - how much stronger is casterton going to be.
Where is this new mt gambier club going to operate???

The report suggests they identify an unoccupied Oval now (Frew Park??) and build it from there, possibly aligning one of the junior teams in the Mount that has no current ties to a senior club. Maybe the could be called Centrals and take over the Bulldogs moniker?

The report suggests they identify an unoccupied Oval now (Frew Park??) and build it from there, possibly aligning one of the junior teams in the Mount that has no current ties to a senior club. Maybe the could be called Centrals and take over the Bulldogs moniker?

Are there any changes in the south west, mininera or warrnambool district league?

Are there any changes in the south west, mininera or warrnambool district league?

Specifically - No - it's primarily focussed on the "Major Leagues" of the region and the need to maintain a higher level for people to aspire to, thus they are to be maintained in an adjusted form.

Underlying this it obviously has major implications for all minor leagues, in that it proposes two administration hubs (One in Vic - Hampden, Warrnambool & District, South West & Mininera plus Umpires & Juniors) & (One in SA - WBFL, KTNFL, MSEFL, Umpires & Juniors).

They were never going to suggest clubs die off but dependent on what happens in Hamiltion, you would expect some to think long and hard about their future. If both Hamilton clubs want to come in stand alone, then they are going to have to raid some players from other clubs in order to fill up their numbers. Stats say someone has to fall over if that is to happen.

There are massive underlying implications for the MSEFL. The WBFL Clubs + whoever and a possible fifth Mount based side means the possible end of some of those clubs. t will be a long road for many district league clubs on both sides of the border.

If the new club is at frew park then it sounds like this process has been in place for a little while. This will have major impacts on further outlying mid se clubs who rely on mt gambier players. Mid se could be reduced to 7 or 6 clubs.
I never expected this but the more you look at it I think they have done the right thing. This should help out clubs like millicent who have been vulnerable to surrounding district clubs.

Cant see how a new club in the mount would be able to compete with a North with its 100 000 plus from pokie licences etc. Wonder if Vansitaart with its supposed million or so make over could accomodate another club.
ps Where are you guys getting this info from?

Its come up on the warrnambool standard, weekly times now and millicent now websites that I could find. Clubs/leagues received the recommendations yesterday, the media weren't suppose to release it until tomorrow. It will be on the vcfl website tomorrow.

Cant see how a new club in the mount would be able to compete with a North with its 100 000 plus from pokie licences etc. Wonder if Vansitaart with its supposed million or so make over could accomodate another club.
ps Where are you guys getting this info from?

The report has been released to all stakeholders (Clubs & Leagues) in the review area for comment befor a final report is released. It will be on the VCFL website from tomorrow for everyone to have a look at.

The underlying tone is that Mt Gambier is supplying the majority of players in the MSEFL and based on data like South having 5 Under 12 teams have drawn a conclusion that it makes more sense to try and grow anothe SA Major league team rather than draft in another team that does not measure up. It also suggests that the 4 Mount sides need a bit of handicapping if the new league is to be even.

A lot of water to flow under the bridge.

Do you have any proof that afl victoria or the vcfl are looking at restructuring this region
or are you just stirring things up again!!! My opinion it is à impossible task, there will be alot of displaced clubs and the sa teams have nowhere to go. No club in its current state besides portland is capable of competing in the hampden league - they are not strong enough and dont have the financial backing. Is Afl victoria going to show preference towards the hampden league over the wbfl - i doubted. This subject is getting tired.....move on!!!

Just thought I'd bump an old post from just over a year ago, where like Nostradaemus I predicted a large amount of what is contained in the cross border review despite opposition views.

The conclusion is either;

a) I am a visonary who can see into the future
b) I wrote the report or
c) It stood out like Dogs Balls

The WBFL lit the fuse under themselves by calling for the review, it appears they are the ones that will be blown up in the carnage that follows.

I know the answer isn't a) or b).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The report has been released to all stakeholders (Clubs & Leagues) in the review area for comment befor a final report is released. It will be on the VCFL website from tomorrow for everyone to have a look at.

The underlying tone is that Mt Gambier is supplying the majority of players in the MSEFL and based on data like South having 5 Under 12 teams have drawn a conclusion that it makes more sense to try and grow anothe SA Major league team rather than draft in another team that does not measure up. It also suggests that the 4 Mount sides need a bit of handicapping if the new league is to be even.

A lot of water to flow under the bridge.

East and West both have 5 u/12 teams as well. Just wondering how you start a club from scratch.?

East and West both have 5 u/12 teams as well. Just wondering how you start a club from scratch.?

Good question? I know Strathfieldsaye did it in Bendigo a few years back. They started with juniors and progressed from there. Pretty big task. Perhaps a better option would be a couple of MSEFL clubs close to the Mount get together and merge and go in as a joint entity rather than be consumed.

Just thought I'd bump an old post from just over a year ago, where like Nostradaemus I predicted a large amount of what is contained in the cross border review despite opposition views.

The conclusion is either;

a) I am a visonary who can see into the future
b) I wrote the report or
c) It stood out like Dogs Balls

The WBFL lit the fuse under themselves by calling for the review, it appears they are the ones that will be blown up in the carnage that follows.

I know the answer isn't a) or b).

From what I understand the SACFL was going to push for a review anyway. There were other factors why a review needed to be called apart from the heywood/imps situation.

Good question? I know Strathfieldsaye did it in Bendigo a few years back. They started with juniors and progressed from there. Pretty big task. Perhaps a better option would be a couple of MSEFL clubs close to the Mount get together and merge and go in as a joint entity rather than be consumed.

Location and longterm wise I think starting up a mt gambier club is the way to go. Youll get maximum participation levels and there is no shortage of juniors in the area. Location wise frew park is ideal. Its not a big ground but I think there is enough room at the back of the oval for netball courts. Ground is in good condition but what they do with boundry and parking will be an issue. I think the buildings on the ground are going to become vacant - so theres your clubrooms. Just need some lighting and netting to stop the ball going onto the highway.

You'd be looking into the sun a fair bit a Frew Park. I reckon it runs east west. Not sure if that's a problem never thought about before but I'm sure it runs differently from the others.

I think the layout of the goals for mt gambier clubs are all the same....frew park will be different. The review stated that they were looking at setting up a new club at an existing oval. I assumed it was this one.

Will the vcfl let the hamilton sides in if they dont merge? The review states the hamilton sides should merge and join the hampden. If they dont wish to merge they can nominate the league they wish to play in - it doesn't state if they will get cleared. Previous reports on imps ability to compete in the hampden have not sounded promising. Both clubs currently are struggling for reserves numbers and imps dont have a A.grade.netball team.

frew park is called a "village green" which means it has to retain its original staus from when the Frews owned it. it will never be used for football as the council wont allow signage and lights to be put up as part of this village green. the cricket had to go back to old photos so they could replicate the fence around the ground.

Review does not state it has to be an existing oval - it could be a new one ??. Who would fund this, council, SANFL?

Will the vcfl let the hamilton sides in if they dont merge? The review states the hamilton sides should merge and join the hampden. If they dont wish to merge they can nominate the league they wish to play in - it doesn't state if they will get cleared. Previous reports on imps ability to compete in the hampden have not sounded promising. Both clubs currently are struggling for reserves numbers and imps dont have a A.grade.netball team.

Reading between the lines - I would say if both the Hamilton sides or Portland want to go to the Hampden League, then the VCFL will not stand in their way. However as you rightly point out - both are struggling with player numbers and ultimately if they both want to come on you would think some clubs in the region will have to fall over if they are to source enough players.

My mail is that a lot of the old hardcore opposition to a merged side is starting to thaw.

Does the tranfer process remain the same in a case like this as I have already heard the mid se will not support pt macs transfer if they choose to. I understand there is an appeals process but clubs may not be prepared to push that hard. Could hamper portlands chances to transfer if no league will let their clubs go as the western border is to remain no less than 7 teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back