Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

When the great Bulldogs-Giants rivalry will return to Mars Stadium​

The Western Bulldogs are set to face the Gold Coast Suns, and their great rivals GWS Giants, at Mars Stadium next season after the release of the AFL fixture for 2024 on Thursday afternoon. The AFL has avoided the dead of winter in Ballarat, with matches scheduled for 1pm, Sunday, March 24 against the Suns and in the final round, which will likely be the last weekend of August against the Giants.

The date and time of the Giants clash will be decided in the weeks leading up to the contest as per the AFL policy of leaving the last few rounds open ended. Bulldogs chief executive officer Ameet Bains said the club was excited by a fixture that he said had plenty to offer for Bulldogs members and fans. "We're really pleased with both the football and commercial outcomes of the 2024 fixture and welcome the connection with our Victorian members through the opening three rounds," Bains said. "The fixture is bookended by games in Ballarat in Rounds 2 and 24, following on from a successful pair of games in 2023, with a record of number of attendees cheering on the club at Mars Stadium. Our fans generally turned out in strong numbers this season, eclipsing the 40,000 mark on three occasions at Marvel Stadium and we expect this fixture to provide the same level of excitement."

The return of the Giants will be a great way for Ballarat fans to cheer on the Bulldogs as they search for what is hoped to be a finals place next season. The rivalry is immense, with the Giants playing just their second game at Mars Stadium this season. That day they came from behind to win a club-record seventh consecutive game on the way to a preliminary final berth. The Suns have been a regular staple in Ballarat, having played three previous matches at Mars Stadium, with their one win coming against the Giants by one point during lockdowns in 2021.

Went to both games last season think I will go to Libbas pub or from the comfort of home this year. Would sooner go interstate than to the Rat. Hope the government are still tipping in big

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

When the great Bulldogs-Giants rivalry will return to Mars Stadium​

The Western Bulldogs are set to face the Gold Coast Suns, and their great rivals GWS Giants, at Mars Stadium next season after the release of the AFL fixture for 2024 on Thursday afternoon. The AFL has avoided the dead of winter in Ballarat, with matches scheduled for 1pm, Sunday, March 24 against the Suns and in the final round, which will likely be the last weekend of August against the Giants.

The date and time of the Giants clash will be decided in the weeks leading up to the contest as per the AFL policy of leaving the last few rounds open ended. Bulldogs chief executive officer Ameet Bains said the club was excited by a fixture that he said had plenty to offer for Bulldogs members and fans. "We're really pleased with both the football and commercial outcomes of the 2024 fixture and welcome the connection with our Victorian members through the opening three rounds," Bains said. "The fixture is bookended by games in Ballarat in Rounds 2 and 24, following on from a successful pair of games in 2023, with a record of number of attendees cheering on the club at Mars Stadium. Our fans generally turned out in strong numbers this season, eclipsing the 40,000 mark on three occasions at Marvel Stadium and we expect this fixture to provide the same level of excitement."

The return of the Giants will be a great way for Ballarat fans to cheer on the Bulldogs as they search for what is hoped to be a finals place next season. The rivalry is immense, with the Giants playing just their second game at Mars Stadium this season. That day they came from behind to win a club-record seventh consecutive game on the way to a preliminary final berth. The Suns have been a regular staple in Ballarat, having played three previous matches at Mars Stadium, with their one win coming against the Giants by one point during lockdowns in 2021.
Happy with Ballarat but round 2 is much too early. Our members need a few home games first before Ballarat. The last few years we’ve had great weather in April and May there, we didn’t need a March game there.

You need to get all the supporters on board and signed up early so round 2 should have been at Marvel.

I'll still go, yet to be honest, its become a pain and the sooner they knock Ballarat on the head the better. Much prefer Marvel and we have never been given any stats to prove the people of Ballarat even support this. I see the same faces in the crowd I would see at Marvel. So essentially your just forcing the die hards to travel.

Happy with Ballarat but round 2 is much too early. Our members need a few home games first before Ballarat. The last few years we’ve had great weather in April and May there, we didn’t need a March game there.
The first game would hopefully be a relatively soft game against the Suns (although they are improving considerably), but the Dogs do have a good record against the Suns. Certainly the weather in Ballarat is normally very good in March and into early April so the conditions will play more favourably, particularly as we are likely to be coming off what is forecasted to be a long and dry Summer. The last game of the H&A season against the Giants will be more interesting, particularly if the Giants are as competitive next year. That round may well see again four teams battling for the number eight spot on the ladder and depending upon where the Dogs and Giants are sitting on the ladder by that stage, it could be a finals defining match that determines where the Dogs will place in the final eight (Yes I'm predicting that the Dogs will make the eight).

I think that it was a pretty good draw result, as it certainly beats playing in Ballarat in mid-May and late-July. At least it allows the club to bookend both ends of their season with Ballarat and concentrate on their home games being continuously scheduled throughout the remainder of the season at Marvel. :)

At least Ballarat next year, there is somewhere nearby now to go for a drink and to get some eats with the new ten-pin bowling alley and entertainment complex soon to open on the corner of Norman Street and Creswick Road only a short 400 metre walk to the stadium:

r0_0_2050_1084_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Last edited:
You need to get all the supporters on board and signed up early so round 2 should have been at Marvel.

I'll still go, yet to be honest, its become a pain and the sooner they knock Ballarat on the head the better. Much prefer Marvel and we have never been given any stats to prove the people of Ballarat even support this. I see the same faces in the crowd I would see at Marvel. So essentially your just forcing the die hards to travel.
2023 was essentially the fifth season in Ballarat (with crowds allowed). The broader mood is positive and there was a strong positive reaction by supporters to the recent stadium upgrades that were done during the pandemic when full crowds were allowed back for the 2022 season. Nobody is expecting any serious announcements on the next major upgrade until at least next year's State Budget. 2025 will likely be when you will see the next round of significant upgrading in Ballarat begin (12-18 months out before the next State election). The State Government have lost a lot of credibility in the country by cancelling the Comm Games and each of the major regional cities will hold the government to their word of delivering the facility upgrades that they promised. Nobody is more aware of that than the State Member for East Bendigo (The Premier herself). :think: To put it kindly, they have a lot of promises to make good on by the November 2026 State election.

Anybody of influence in Ballarat is advocating for the construction of the train station adjacent to Mars (Eureka) Stadium and are insisting that the promised construction of an international standard level 1 athletics competition field at the old Showgrounds and the expansion of Mars Stadium to 16,000 must be accompanied by a vital piece of public transport infrastructure. i.e. The Events Platform at Mars Stadium. :thumbsu:

I maintain to all of those who insist that the Western Bulldogs should play all of their home games in Melbourne that you need to get a grip of reality. Your team is not an AFL powerhouse. It's not a Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton or Essendon. Like all of the smaller teams in Melbourne (Saint Kilda, North Melbourne and Melbourne) the Bulldogs have to sell two or three home games per season in order to make money. The reality for the Bulldogs is that you have been blessed by not having to sell your games interstate where there is significant travel and accommodation expense for those "Die Hards" who commit to travel. Your "Die Hards" only have to travel an hour and a half out of Melbourne twice a year and can do so very easily with little expense by either car or train. As a North Melbourne supporter I honestly wish that I had your dilemma. Your "Die Hards" aren't paying expensive air fares or hotel/motel fees to see the two home games that you aren't playing in Melbourne. Heavens, our club plays three, sometimes four home games in Hobart every season. At most we only get to see eight home games in Melbourne every season, and most of those are at damn 5 o'clock on a Sunday afternoon. :( Trust me, if you think that you're getting a raw deal, you have nothing at all to whine about.

Consider, it could be a damn sight worse. Think instead about how lucky your club is. :thumbsu::)

Anyway, enough said on that. I wish all forumers here a happy, safe and prosperous new year. I wish your team every on field success (Except against my team ;)) and I look forward to engaging with you all throughout 2024.

Peace and love everyone Roogal :north:

Last edited:
Thanks Roogal. Some whingers are going to whinge no matter where we play.

Most supporters would understand the reality that "big clubs" get to play where they want (mostly at the MCG) and "small clubs" have to sell their arses to the highest bidder (well at least for a couple of games a year). With the AFL acting as the official pimp.

I suspect some of the dissatisfaction has now moved on to the membership packaging and lack of compensation games for any games that are played in Ballarat. They have some basis for grumbling about that, especially with the limited Mars capacity. It's not Ballarat's fault that the club chooses to package it like that.

Th
2023 was essentially the fifth season in Ballarat (with crowds allowed). The broader mood is positive and there was a strong positive reaction by supporters to the recent stadium upgrades that were done during the pandemic when full crowds were allowed back for the 2022 season. Nobody is expecting any serious announcements on the next major upgrade until at least next year's State Budget. 2025 will likely be when you will see the next round of significant upgrading in Ballarat begin (12-18 months out before the next State election). The State Government have lost a lot of credibility in the country by cancelling the Comm Games and each of the major regional cities will hold the government to their word of delivering the facility upgrades that they promised. Nobody is more aware of that than the State Member for East Bendigo (The Premier herself). :think: To put it kindly, they have a lot of promises to make good on by the November 2026 State election.

Anybody of influence in Ballarat is advocating for the construction of the train station adjacent to Mars (Eureka) Stadium and are insisting that the promised construction of an international standard level 1 athletics competition field at the old Showgrounds and the expansion of Mars Stadium to 16,000 must be accompanied by a vital piece of public transport infrastructure. i.e. The Events Platform at Mars Stadium. :thumbsu:

I maintain to all of those who insist that the Western Bulldogs should play all of their home games in Melbourne that you need to get a grip of reality. Your team is not an AFL powerhouse. It's not a Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton or Essendon. Like all of the smaller teams in Melbourne (Saint Kilda, North Melbourne and Melbourne) the Bulldogs have to sell two or three home games per season in order to make money. The reality for the Bulldogs is that you have been blessed by not having to sell your games interstate where there is significant travel and accommodation expense for those "Die Hards" who commit to travel. Your "Die Hards" only have to travel an hour and a half out of Melbourne twice a year and can do so by easily with little expense car or train. As a North Melbourne supporter I honestly wish that I had your problem. Your "Die Hards" aren't paying expensive air fares or hotel/motel fees to see the two home games that you aren't playing in Melbourne. Heavens, our club plays three, sometimes four home games in bloody Hobart every season. At most we only get to see eight home games in Melbourne every season, and most of those are at bloody 5 o'clock on a Sunday afternoon. :( Trust me, you lot have nothing at all to whinge about.

Consider, it could be a damn sight worse. Think instead about how lucky your club is. :thumbsu::)

Anyway, enough said on that. I wish all forumers here a happy, safe and prosperous new year. I wish your team every on field success (Except against my team ;)) and I look forward to engaging with you all throughout 2024.

Thanks Roogal. Your argument stands up 100% that surely Ballarat is better than interstate, those with any sense have been arguing this for years now. Different story if it’s against games at Marvel and I get the arguments on either side. I personally think we should have the long term vision to stay in Ballarat. I actually think it’s one of the main reasons we continue with our new name of ‘Western’ instead of Footscray. The regions are growing, think of Geelong 25 years back, they were about to shut the joint down and move to the MCG. Ballarat won’t quite grow that fast but has a mighty future. Geelong has got their stadium built by us the taxpayers so I reckon Ballarat should ask for a similar type of deal.

I maintain to all of those who insist that the Western Bulldogs should play all of their home games in Melbourne that you need to get a grip of reality. Your team is not an AFL powerhouse. It's not a Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton or Essendon. Like all of the smaller teams in Melbourne (Saint Kilda, North Melbourne and Melbourne) the Bulldogs have to sell two or three home games per season in order to make money. The reality for the Bulldogs is that you have been blessed by not having to sell your games interstate where there is significant travel and accommodation expense for those "Die Hards" who commit to travel. Your "Die Hards" only have to travel an hour and a half out of Melbourne twice a year and can do so by easily with little expense car or train. As a North Melbourne supporter I honestly wish that I had your problem. Your "Die Hards" aren't paying expensive air fares or hotel/motel fees to see the two home games that you aren't playing in Melbourne. Heavens, our club plays three, sometimes four home games in bloody Hobart every season. At most we only get to see eight home games in Melbourne every season, and most of those are at bloody 5 o'clock on a Sunday afternoon. :( Trust me, you lot have nothing at all to whinge about.

That's all well and good, yet we never get any information on how Ballarat has grown our membership? Surely if you follow the dogs in Ballarat you can get the vline to Marvel. I do it from Torquay.

As a current member gold level reserved seats, I know after covid, I lost two home games and did not get any replacements.

I do agree I prefer it than playing in Darwin or Canberra and get its a money grab yet the ground needs the capacity increased and this is not confirmed now.

So the question the club should be asking is:

What would get us more long term members. Playing the full 11 home at Marvel (pushing for new members in Tarneit and the growing west etc.) or playing 2 in Ballarat and trying to convert people who already have allegiance to other clubs.

I'll support the club whatever they do, yet for me I would have all at 11 and Marvel (keep building) and just have a pre-season game in Ballarat.

That's all well and good, yet we never get any information on how Ballarat has grown our membership? Surely if you follow the dogs in Ballarat you can get the vline to Marvel. I do it from Torquay.

As a current member gold level reserved seats, I know after covid, I lost two home games and did not get any replacements.

I do agree I prefer it than playing in Darwin or Canberra and get its a money grab yet the ground needs the capacity increased and this is not confirmed now.

So the question the club should be asking is:

What would get us more long term members. Playing the full 11 home at Marvel (pushing for new members in Tarneit and the growing west etc.) or playing 2 in Ballarat and trying to convert people who already have allegiance to other clubs.

I'll support the club whatever they do, yet for me I would have all at 11 and Marvel (keep building) and just have a pre-season game in Ballarat.
15k at WO twice a year, rotate the ability to buy tickets to members every season

15k at WO twice a year, rotate the ability to buy tickets to members every season
It's fun to fantasise but it's not going to happen. The AFL is never going to allow a return to very small capacity suburban grounds, no matter how flash they look after renovations. Not any time soon anyway.

If we are ever going to play 11 home games in Melbourne it's going to have to be at Marvel and/or the G. The only thing that's likely to make that possible is if we go on a St George-like run of premierships (11 Rugby League flags between 1956 and 1966) and create a whole new generation of Bulldog fanatics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Roogal. Your argument stands up 100% that surely Ballarat is better than interstate, those with any sense have been arguing this for years now. Different story if it’s against games at Marvel and I get the arguments on either side. I personally think we should have the long term vision to stay in Ballarat. I actually think it’s one of the main reasons we continue with our new name of ‘Western’ instead of Footscray. The regions are growing, think of Geelong 25 years back, they were about to shut the joint down and move to the MCG. Ballarat won’t quite grow that fast but has a mighty future. Geelong has got their stadium built by us the taxpayers so I reckon Ballarat should ask for a similar type of deal.
The fact is that as long as the Bulldogs claim Ballarat then they morally have a legitimate claim to the entire Western Victoria from Melton all the way westward to Horsham encompassing a population sphere of approximately 400,000. To cede Ballarat and withdraw back into Footscray (population 57,000) offers the club zero future growth or expansion potential. To abandon Ballarat re-opens the door to North Melbourne who will be actively looking for a new second home once Tassie shows them the door in 2027. But if the Dogs were silly enough to follow that pathway, I'm sure that many members would be stunned by such a decision.

Last edited:
The fact is that as long as the Bulldogs claim Ballarat then they morally have a legitimate claim to the entire Western Victoria from Melton all the way westward to Horsham encompassing a population sphere of approximately 400,000. To cede Ballarat and withdraw back into Footscray (population 57,000) offers the club zero future growth or expansion potential. To abandon Ballarat re-opens the door to North Melbourne who will be actively looking for a new second home once Tassie shows them the door in 2027. But if the Dogs were silly enough to follow that pathway, I'm sure that many members would be stunned by such a decision.
Super post! Even if the naysayers don’t turn up, they surely can’t deny the project helps the club long term.

Really, that's crazy logic quoting 57k population in Footscray. What does that matter? Collingwood population is 22k yet we know how big they are.

We don't need to play in Ballarat to represent the greater west. Its like suggesting St Kilda need to play games in Seaford or Carlton and Collingwood should be playing games North of Melbourne.

West of Ballarat is the entire southern hemisphere, until you come around and hit Footscray again. That's the catchment area we should be aiming for. Mauritius, South Africa, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Polynesia. Potential Bulldog supporters ripe for the picking. Need a marketing poster campaign in South America of Pele and Maradona portraits crossed out and Bont standing in front of them, arms folded.

Or maybe this:

images - 2024-01-11T102957.959.jpeg

The Mayor of Ballarat, Councilor Des Hudson recently was reported in the Herald Sun two days ago stating that the planning for the next stage development of Mars Stadium was now well advanced with work set to start in the middle of this year. This seems to fit with my response that I gave to another forumer a few weeks ago on another thread about when we would likely see the expansion of the ground commence. I stated to him that it wouldn't occur at least until after the May State Budget. This seems to have now been confirmed. It seems that I was also accurate with my prediction that the stadium will be expanded in its next stage of development from a capacity of 11,000 to 16,000. This means that we will most likely see the loss of about two thirds of the existing main hill to a new stand and the shifting of the earth from the existing hill to create a new Southern standing hill in place of where the existing video score board is that will join up with the existing old score board hill. I do hope that they will address two key issues during this major upgrade. The first would be to fully upgrade the lighting to something akin to Ikon Park or the VU Whitten Oval, and secondly that they will finally address the railway platform which every major business group and the council in Ballarat have been advocating for since the stadium was first established in 2017.

I am informed that the Ballarat Council have been secretly sitting on the current plans for the stadium for some time since the Comm Games were cancelled last July. The CEO of the "Committee for Ballarat" Michael Poulton reluctantly admitted this a few months ago during a Senate Estimates enquiry into the Cancellation of the Commonwealth Games, stating that he had seen the plans for the stadium for both during and after the Games and that they were big and that he had seriously doubted that both could be achieved within the $150 million budget allocated for the Games.

Of course Athletics Victoria are also pushing for a "Level 1 Competition" athletics venue to be established at the old Showgrounds and this will be part of the overall build. It seems that Athletics Victoria aren't completely happy with the existing facility at Albert Park which they get locked out of for four weeks every year when the area is closed off during the Grand Prix.

We can expect all to be revealed around the middle of the year when the next stage is finally announced and funded.

Mars Stadium Ballarat after the 2026 Comm Games (Concept) (1).PNG
Above: It's an old drawing that I created over 12 months ago on how I predicted that MS would look after Comm Games ... provided they get the gold plating of beefed up lights and a railway platform. It is likely that the new stand will now be built on the other side of the ground around where the scoreboards are. Obviously the Midland Highway won't be widened for some time and the train platform is very much still up in the air.:think:

A copy of the HS report is as follows:

January 11, 2024 - 10:00AM​

Mars Stadium set to have work started in the middle of year and it won’t impact sport​

City of Ballarat mayor Des Hudson has revealed where the upgrades on Mars Stadium now sit after the Commonwealth Games were cancelled. And there’s good news for local AFL fans.

The proposed upgrades to Ballarat’s Mars Stadium promised by the Victorian Government could start by the end of this year.
City of Ballarat mayor Des Hudson told Herald Sun that works will still be completed despite the state government withdrawing its hosting rights for the 2026 Commonwealth Games across regional Victoria.

As part of the deal, Mars Stadium will have 5000 seats built, extending the capacity from 11,000 to 16,000.

There will also be an athletics track built on the Ballarat Showgrounds site.

Other projects include upgrading Ballarat’s train station, building 60km of mountain bike trails in Creswick and the new sporting facility at Miners Rest and upgrading the showcourt at Selkirk Stadium.

Hudson said all projects were on track to be finished by 2026.

“My expectation is that it will be delivered by 2026 as planned,” he said. “Our commitment with the state government and their commitment to us is the infrastructure will be built within exactly the same timeline (as the Commonwealth Games).”

He also has his word from new Premier Jacinta Allen.

“From my conversation with the Premier, prior to her being the Premier when she was still Deputy Premier, I met her over in Bendigo and we were talking candidly about the Commonwealth Games,” he said. “Her commitment to me and she looked me in the eye was we will absolutely deliver those infrastructure projects.”

Mars Stadium is expected to start being upgraded this year.

“We expect from the end of June, Development Victoria will take over management of the site to begin construction of the athletics facility and also the 5000-seat extension,” Hudson said. Hudson revealed the previous design of the stadium, to accommodate the Commonwealth Games, would have forced the Western Bulldogs to play elsewhere for at least a season.

But it is now not the case. "There will now be very little disruptions with the build in terms of the playing surface,” Hudson said. “Unlike in preparation for the Commonwealth Games where a track would have had to he played on the surface, that would have disrupted pretty much a whole season, there should be no disruption to the AFL, AFLW schedule and even Western United when they come to play.”

The Western Bulldogs will play two matches at Ballarat this upcoming AFL season against Gold Coast and GWS in rounds two and 24 respectively

Last edited:

Absolutely agree, having an easily day trippable road trip there and back is far superior to cairns darwin and hobart and canberra, and seemingly lands us in a better financial position. Yknow you're pretty switched on for a North fan?

A recent article that has appeared on Austadiums (Mars Stadium upgrade set for 2024 start) suggests that the redesign of Mars Stadium may not necessarily be as was planned for after the Comm Games. The article suggests that the idea of simply extending the existing Eureka Stand southward adding another 5000 permanent seats is in play. The diagram below illustrates the two options:

Mars Options.png

What would be your preferred option. Having the stands developed on the Eastern side of the oval would provide a better view of play although patrons would be staring into afternoon sunlight .... Oh wait, it's Ballarat (Silly me) there is no sun :rolleyes:

On the other hand, having the stand built on the Southern and South-western part of the boundary blocks the wind and allows for retention of the standing hill (which is reasonably popular) and having the hill there affords a terrific view of the two ancient volcanos on the horizon from the social club.

Western Bulldogs set to unleash their support across Ballarat​

Ballarat Courier:
By Melanie Whelan
Updated February 20 2024 - 4:24pm

WESTERN Bulldogs will keep training to their spiritual kennel in Footscray in a bid to pack in as much community time as they can in Ballarat. The Bulldogs' men's playing squad is set to arrive in town after completing a morning training session at Whitten Oval on Wednesday, February 21. They have a practice hit-out scheduled against Hawthorn, back at Whitten Oval as part of a season launch party on Friday.

This means Ballarat must wait another month to see the Bulldogs in action on our turf. The first of two Bulldogs AFL premiership season games on Mars Stadium will be against the now Damien Hardwick-led Gold Coast Suns on March 24. Season 2024 is the last year of the existing Western Bulldogs partnership with City of Ballarat but Dogs' chief executive Ameet Bains has continued to assure ongoing development for the Bulldogs' community programs in the region, focusing on youth leadership, children's literacy and men's and women's health.

As has become a pre-season tradition, the Bulldogs will launch the Ballarat-exclusive literacy program Bulldogs Read while in town. The program, run via Ballarat Libraries, will boast a record nine schools and more than 160 children sharing book reviews with participating players.

Football coaches from across the region will have a chance to learn from the Dogs in an interactive drills session on City Oval with the help of Greater Western Victoria Rebels. Bulldogs' football operations general manager Matthew Egan, a former Cat, and backline coach Daniel Pratt, West Coast's former AFLW coach, will lead the free session alongside AFL Goldfields for coaches of junior and senior ranks.

Bulldogs' players will be sharing their skills with packs of junior footballers across the region with more than 250 Auskickers signed up for a super clinic with about a dozen Bulldogs at City Oval on Wednesday. A further 11 junior clubs will have player visits for training on the same night.

Some AFLW footballers will also join school visits on Thursday to ensure the Bulldogs can reach 36 primary schools and seven secondary schools across the city. At least three Bulldogs will also make the trip along the Western Freeway for clinics in Ararat.

Ballarat members, supporters and those merely intrigued can also attend a free, live panel discussion with Bulldogs' chief executive Ameet Bains, head coach Luke Beveridge and captain Marcus Bontempelli at The Goods Shed (Below) on Wednesday evening. The trio will be in conversation with Committee for Ballarat chief executive Michael Poulton.

62561a0a4aae81987ca4d269.jpeg

1639579157333_GS-26_resized-1400x933.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back