Autopsy What have you liked, learnt or hated from Round 8?

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked:

West Coast winning
Cam Guthrie asking for Judd's jumper (and Judd giving it to him)
Plugger35's latest meltdown
My Dream Team actually having a win

Hated:

Constant media witch-hunt for Mick Malthouse (they're s**t, we get it)
Port playing like chumps again (Freo are running out of challengers)
Yeo being suspended and Mitchell/McVeigh not (all should've got off)

Learned:

8 rounds in it really is Freo and the rest. Could well end up 3 or 4 games clear on top by the end of the year.
lol

Liked: The 50m penalties. Players are going over the mark every single time. I hope they keep paying it every time.

There is absolutely no reason for a player to run up to the mark 2 seconds after the guys taken the mark, and run two metres over.
That has been a 25/50m penalty for decades.

The umpire should only give advice (back a metre) if the player was in the contest and his momentum caused him to continue over the mark and he had to come back. If the players are separated they should not give them the warnings.

They should change the rule to where the first point of contact is. Guys like Shuey, Christensen, Selwood and Thomas lift their arm as soon as there is contact and the tackle slides up, as is perfectly illustrated in the pics above.

So tackle better?
That's been high for the history of the game.
You should be tackling the hips while attempting to get an arm in the process

I've learnt that it's round 8 and we're done. Our draw this month is Freo, pies, swans, giants, Eagles. The current top 5 teams. Injuries have hurt but all teams have them and we've gone backwards at an alarming rate. The sack Scott campaign will gather steam.

I've also learnt that Collingwood is the highest placed vic team. The odds on that at season start would have been silly.

You'll beat the Pies, and the Eagles if its in Melb.
Wouldnt give up just yet.

I'm genuinely interested to know which Swans players you consider to be w*****s, and your reasons. From the outside, they seem to me to be a pretty decent bunch of blokes, by football standards. Not a dwarf igniter among them.

I promise not to reply. You have the final word.

Goodes, Tippett and Buddy I can see being w***ers, but I dont know them.
The rest of them seem like decent normal blokes.

Guys like Jack and Kennedy seem to be pretty grounded.

Every team has a few stooges.

To be honest, I'm not seeing a problem...

Two matches against the other two best sides of 2014 where we got jumped, fought back and couldn't seal the deal in the first third of the season is not an issue. Sitting on a percentage of 140 at 4-4 is pretty unusual, and more indicative of the fact that when we do out a side away they are utterly destroyed...wouldn't want to be Gold Coast or Melbourne this fortnight...!

As 2014 and numerous seasons have shown, it's damned hard to bring your A Game to every single round, and a reigning premier is the most scrutinised team in the comp. We have to come up with some new s**t, because the Swans showed they won't fall for the GF tactic anymore, and there's a very well organised Freo outfit strutting around somewhere near the top of the ladder these days. The loss to Essendon looked very much like an experiment with defensive play (which backfired, but the bemused expressions of the Hawk players at the end of that one told an interesting story). GWS similar, and their late stranglehold on the game has been revealed as the norm and not a fluke in recent weeks. The Hawks went out to make statements of dominance against Geelong and North, potential challengers, and delivered to the point where you wonder how the mindset of those two will be when they come up against the big flag contenders throughout the season...so far, not so good...

We don't want a repeat of the injury crisis of 2014, and the adage "one week at a time" is being shown to be a crock of s**t. The premiership contenders are planning their entire season every time they run out. Watch for Sydney and Hawthorn to solidify after the bye, and take two of the top three positions on the ladder by round 23. I think the only negative for us is that at 4-4 we'll most likely not catch the other two for a home final, but anyone with an idea that Sydney, Freo and Hawthorn aren't the best three teams in the comp is romantically delusional...
Good post. I believe Hawthorn and Sydney are still the teams to beat for this years flag.
Freo are going ok but if the grand final was played this week between Freo and Hawthorn and I had to put money on it I would back Hawthorn. Nothing Freo has done this year means anything unless we can beat the Hawks at the G.

Liked: The 50m penalties. Players are going over the mark every single time. I hope they keep paying it every time.

What annoys me is that players mark the ball then when they go behind the mark they go 5m sideways. Behind the mark is an imaginary straight line from where you marked the ball. If you arc a couple a metres left or right it should be play on straight away.

So tackle better?
That's been high for the history of the game.
You should be tackling the hips while attempting to get an arm in the process
Players have gotten better at exploiting that rule.. It needs refining. It's got ditching to do with tackle technique in those particular instances.

Yeo is a year too early with that spoil
look at Jezza Cameron getting off, (2 weeks for a borderline 22 player?)
Sam Mitchell getting off, (2 to 3 weeks for a borderline 22 player?)
Nathan Fyfe a fine. (1 week for a borderline 22 player?)
next year Yeo will have become an established star of the game by winning this year's wc B & F, & being in this year's 40 man AA squad, but this is his ascendant year.
for the same spoil next year he will have the report thrown out.

I've also learnt that the proof that success is a dual edged sword comes from the booing of Adam Goodes by SOME Hawks fans
Hawks have been wildly successful recently
newcomers to footy in the past 2 years wanting a team might well have chosen the brown & yellow.
result: many bandwagon supporters
heck, all clubs' financial departments are jealous of that
result: some fans with a lower understanding of the game & the appropriate way to respond to legends of the game who play for opposition teams.
(not having a go at the BF Hawks fans who are the real deal)

Last edited:
I'm genuinely interested to know which Swans players you consider to be w*****s, and your reasons. From the outside, they seem to me to be a pretty decent bunch of blokes, by football standards. Not a dwarf igniter among them.

I promise not to reply. You have the final word.
A reference more to those running the club than the players when the COLA came up for discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What annoys me is that players mark the ball then when they go behind the mark they go 5m sideways. Behind the mark is an imaginary straight line from where you marked the ball. If you arc a couple a metres left or right it should be play on straight away.

This annoys me.

What annoys me me though is that it only applies to some players. For other players they take one side step left or right it is play on.

Players have gotten better at exploiting that rule.. It needs refining. It's got ditching to do with tackle technique in those particular instances.

As they have with every other rule in every sport ever.
When players adapt, strategies adapt....so know that selwood is going to do that...

Liked

1. Spotless Stadium live is one of the best there is, loved every minute of the experience there.
2. Swans are SLOWLY getting there, and Tom Mitchell has helped release Parker forward a bit.
3. The game on Saturday night.

Learnt

1. You will be hard pressed to find a better game than Haw/Syd this season.
2. Carlton need to show something the rest of this season.
3. Sam Reid was bagged but him on the wing has been really good.

Disliked

1. Play acting for free kicks still, continues to be an issue.
2. Port costing me a 16 leg multi!

Liked

1. Spotless Stadium live is one of the best there is, loved every minute of the experience there.
2. Swans are SLOWLY getting there, and Tom Mitchell has helped release Parker forward a bit.
3. The game on Saturday night.

Learnt

1. You will be hard pressed to find a better game than Haw/Syd this season.
2. Carlton need to show something the rest of this season.
3. Sam Reid was bagged but him on the wing has been really good.

Disliked

1. Play acting for free kicks still, continues to be an issue.
2. Port costing me a 16 leg multi!

No surprises there though.
2 quality sides, history, players switching sides.

That game was an absolute spectacle though.

No surprises there though.
2 quality sides, history, players switching sides.

That game was an absolute spectacle though.

Yeah awesome match but it wasn't great for my nerves! On the positive had the Swans to win a multi with GWS and the Waratahs in the rugby union lol

I didn't like the effort the Western Bulldogs put in on the weekend, very average, and another reality check for them. I've learnt that Port Adelaide might struggle to make the top 8 this year, let alone top 4, which nearly everyone would've expected. I loved this mark from Brian Lake against Sydney, absolutely fantastic!

For a while now the list of the best players in the game hasn't changed very much.
I was trying to think who would I put in an All Australian team right now after round 8, and I've learned that that top list will have some big changes this year.

Liked:
Pendlebury superb in game No 200
Richmond's clash guernsey
Melbourne - still learning, but will continue to improve
Hawthorn vs Sydney
Giants - great to watch
West Coast - they have character

Disliked:
The commentary somewhat ruining my experience of the Hawthorn vs Sydney game
Bulldogs - they will get there eventually, but it won't be as rapid as we thought earlier in the season
Adelaide - the fuss was not warrented, not yet anyway
Carlton on Friday night, and again tomorrow night
The media's hounding of Malthouse

Learnt:
Giants will play finals
Fremantle are that much better than anyone else
Joe Daniher is a talent and could well blossom after his breakout game
Jack Riewoldt is criminally underrated
You just can't rely on expected natural improvement to get you there - Port Adelaide finding this out right now

Liked:
Pendlebury superb in game No 200
Richmond's clash guernsey
Melbourne - still learning, but will continue to improve
Hawthorn vs Sydney
Giants - great to watch
West Coast - they have character

Disliked:
The commentary somewhat ruining my experience of the Hawthorn vs Sydney game
Bulldogs - they will get there eventually, but it won't be as rapid as we thought earlier in the season
Adelaide - the fuss was not warrented, not yet anyway
Carlton on Friday night, and again tomorrow night
The media's hounding of Malthouse

Learnt:
Giants will play finals
Fremantle are that much better than anyone else
Joe Daniher is a talent and could well blossom after his breakout game
Jack Riewoldt is criminally underrated
You just can't rely on expected natural improvement to get you there - Port Adelaide finding this out right now

a) dont know which fuss you're talking about
b) we have an injury list 2nd only to the gold coast
c) missing 4 first choice midfielders at the moment

I'd like to see any side function without 4 of their top 6 mids, especially against a rampaging GWS.

a) dont know which fuss you're talking about
b) we have an injury list 2nd only to the gold coast
c) missing 4 first choice midfielders at the moment

I'd like to see any side function without 4 of their top 6 mids, especially against a rampaging GWS.
Fair enough. West coast have a huge injury list and it's not affecting them much.
I like Walsh and I like what he will do for your club. I didn't see the Crows as being major players before the start of the year though, and I certainly don't see it now. This just 2015 I am talking about.

Fair enough. West coast have a huge injury list and it's not affecting them much.
I like Walsh and I like what he will do for your club. I didn't see the Crows as being major players before the start of the year though, and I certainly don't see it now. This just 2015 I am talking about.

Absolute misnomer.

West Coast have 3 best 22 players out (Darling, Mackenzie and Rosa)
Maybe Brown too given Mackenzie is out.

Adelaide have minimum 5 (Crouch, Douglas, Jaensch, Sloane, Smith). Otten and Kerridge are maybes...
But also another 2 who may miss this week with concussion (Brown and Laird)

Agree that we're not major players this year...Still think we'll make the 8 quite comfortably though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back