What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apparently Bevos grand dad played in a couple of Collingwood flags. (fair enough, but no way would Ed have bought it up if they were Carlton flags)

For Boyd he bought up how Buckley played one year at Brisbane before moving to Collingwood. Vaguely relevant but I don't see how anyone but Ed would care about that in a 4 minute Tom Boyd interview.

He's like an autistic kid who only wants to talk about one thing.

Ed, tell me what you think about the ongoing conflicts in the Middle East?

"Well, Emirates who sponsor Collingwood originated in the Middle East and they're a brilliant airline. Fly Emirates and that'll solve all of their problems."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-28/mccartins-waiting-game

anyone else read this article....more specifically the bit at the end? This isn't the first time Patton has sounded VERY bitter/jealous/angry at Boyd leaving for us. Dogs vs GWS will be very heated both ways i am thinking

Patton said he wasn't bitter about former teammate Tom Boyd's defection to the Western Bulldogs on a seven-year contract believed to be worth $7 million.

"Why would there be bitterness? There's no bitterness at all. If he doesn't want to be at the club and wants to go to another club, and he's got a good contract … it's in the past now and we play them next year," he said.

Jon's a good lad, he wouldn't be bitter, but I don't blame him if he is.

That's got nothing to do with any talks with us - he wasn't approached. It'd just be tough watching one of his peers get the bumper contract he'd have earned (not at the Bulldogs) if not for his knee injuries.

Jon's a good lad, he wouldn't be bitter, but I don't blame him if he is.

That's got nothing to do with any talks with us - he wasn't approached. It'd just be tough watching one of his peers get the bumper contract he'd have earned (not at the Bulldogs) if not for his knee injuries.

Did we ever go after him? I thought the dogs were happy with the Patton smokescreen?

So, how does the media view our drafting overall compared to other teams yesterday ?? Are we a big winner, big losers or sit somewhere in between?

Did we ever go after him? I thought the dogs were happy with the Patton smokescreen?
Nah, he was never in the picture.

I didn't know we were looking at Boyd from day dot, though. The club has been quoted as saying they were happy with the smokescreen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, how does the media view our drafting overall compared to other teams yesterday ?? Are we a big winner, big losers or sit somewhere in between?

According to Cal Twomey, pretty much nailed what we were after. Developing them to AFL standard is the next challenge:

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Draft selections:
26, 27, 39, 45, 46, 62 (father-son selection Zaine Cordy), 82 (promoted Jack Redpath), 100 (promoted Lin Jong).
What we said before the draft: Outside run and speed and perhaps another half-back could be priority.
What happened? The Dogs went surprisingly small at the draft, with an average height of 179cm for their five live selections. That's not to say they went wrong – but just to point out that the club clearly thought it needed more ground-level players. Small forwards Toby McLean, Declan Hamilton, Bailey Dale and Caleb Daniel should add some presence near goal, while Lukas Webb's lovely left-foot kicking will see him develop into a role off half-back. Although we thought they might grab another tall defender, they had already selected Zaine Cordy as a father-son pick and signed delisted Cat Joel Hamling, so had that area covered.

According to Cal Twomey, pretty much nailed what we were after. Developing them to AFL standard is the next challenge:

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Draft selections:
26, 27, 39, 45, 46, 62 (father-son selection Zaine Cordy), 82 (promoted Jack Redpath), 100 (promoted Lin Jong).
What we said before the draft: Outside run and speed and perhaps another half-back could be priority.
What happened? The Dogs went surprisingly small at the draft, with an average height of 179cm for their five live selections. That's not to say they went wrong – but just to point out that the club clearly thought it needed more ground-level players. Small forwards Toby McLean, Declan Hamilton, Bailey Dale and Caleb Daniel should add some presence near goal, while Lukas Webb's lovely left-foot kicking will see him develop into a role off half-back. Although we thought they might grab another tall defender, they had already selected Zaine Cordy as a father-son pick and signed delisted Cat Joel Hamling, so had that area covered.

Im really surprised we didn't pick up Lamb actually come to think of it.... He fell to west coast at 32

This year maybe not. He was absolutely, 100% in the picture last year.
Ah, I remember you mentioning that.

I can recall being desperate for that deal to be done - hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I'm rather happy with Bontempelli and Boyd.

oh yes. last year's number 1, and last year's best draftee. bonts is only 5 or 6 weeks younger than patty mccartin.

add to stringer and macrae from the year before...it's a great haul.

hopefully our crop this year adds some ball use to our inside grunt.

Holy crap, younger than most of this years draftees??

yeh. that's the point i'm trying to make - with what he showed this year at AFL level compared to what others showed at TAC level, he'd be number 1 by so much it isn't funny.

(he just turned 19 on monday)

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Draft selections:

The Dogs went surprisingly small at the draft, with an average height of 179cm for their five live selections.

Here is a situation where statistics do not tell the story very well. The average of the 5 lads was 179.6 cms, that rounds of to 180 cms. I suppose stating 179 is a lot more impressive than 180, like selling some article at $9.99 instead of $10.00 - sounds a lot cheaper.

All of the boys were over 182 cms except for Caleb whose very short stature brought the average way down.

But, we didn't recruit any more tall backmen types and worst at all lost Foster to Carlton.

The Dogs went surprisingly small at the draft, with an average height of 179cm for their five live selections.

Here is a situation where statistics do not tell the story very well. The average of the 5 lads was 179.6 cms, that rounds of to 180 cms. I suppose stating 179 is a lot more impressive than 180, like selling some article at $9.99 instead of $10.00 - sounds a lot cheaper.

All of the boys were over 182 cms except for Caleb whose very short stature brought the average way down.

But, we didn't recruit any more tall backmen types and worst at all lost Foster to Carlton.
Yep, statistics being used to support their argument there. Frustrating.

Given the outlier of Daniel the median is a much better predictor of central tendency. A median of 182cm doesn't sound unreasonable at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back