Opinion What will the SANFL do?

What will the SANFL do?

• Make Port accept the same conditions that Adelaide currently have?

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • Improve Adelaide's conditions and bring Port down?

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • Leave it as it is for another season?

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • Look to kick the AFL clubs out?

Votes: 9 15.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm assuming the senior player aged over 28 (aka Slattery) rule still applies?
Good question. There's no age limit for players renewing contracts, so I don't think it would be much of a problem. If there is a vacuum of older players at some stage I'm sure the club could find a guy in his early 20's with his head screwed on enough to be 'captain'.

Good thing we have this set up to feed players to our Academy and Maggies squad.

Port Adelaide junior development pathway programs
» A series of junior football programs that may include the following:
» A metropolitan academy
- A country academy
- An Aboriginal player academy
- An international player academy
- A father/son academy

This is on top of grabbing the best under 23 players from the SA country and amateur leagues.

It's still another piss weak rule. They're chopping us at the head and the feet. That's their intention. No juniors, no first grab at decent young talent before they turn 18. They hope that in a season of afl we need to cover injuries, which is likely to be covered by those players with afl experience, and so leaving us exposed in the sanfl with a team made up of solely u23. If they can eliminate as many mature experienced players from the sanfl league side then they hope to keep us out of finals contention every year.

Having to sign them before Jan 1 is another stupid restriction.

Last edited:
So am I right in saying that the Magpies juniors are now officially gone (as of last weekend) and there has really been very little (if any) fanfare from the club or supporters?

And am I right in saying that there was little, if any resistance from the club or supporters when the junior demise was being discussed & negotiated? All I can recall is the club saying that they will NOT agree to the SANFL model if it's at the cost of the juniors. Two weeks later see ya later!

Have I missed something here?
The removal of the junior development system from the club and the zoning reallocation was agreed late last year, so this isn't a sudden development. It was the compromise that had to be made at the behest of the SANFL, as we were told "you can't have your cake and eat it too!!!". Now we're hearing supporters of other clubs like WWT complaining they've gained the Port metro zone at the cost of their 'heartland'...well guess what, "you can't have your cake and eat it too!!!"

The outcome of which contradicted what the club was projecting externally.

So why little fanfare from the club last weekend? I am beginning to think they might be glad the juniors are gone!
Because we had 10 months warning???

And if you read RossFC's post, the club will still have a form of junior development in the guise of an Academy system (which will still compete in the SANFL reserves, or if the SANFL backflip again, the SAAFL). This is in addition to the club still being heavily involved in the Eyre Peninsula (via the Port Adelaide Cup), which I presume will be in partnership with (as opposed to in spite of) the Norwood FC.

Good thing we have this set up to feed players to our Academy and Maggies squad.

Port Adelaide junior development pathway programs
» A series of junior football programs that may include the following:
» A metropolitan academy
- A country academy
- An Aboriginal player academy
- An international player academy
- A father/son academy

This is on top of grabbing the best under 23 players from the SA country and amateur leagues.

The outcome of which contradicted what the club was projecting externally.

So why little fanfare from the club last weekend? I am beginning to think they might be glad the juniors are gone!

It was a negotiating tactic, Postie old chap.

You haven't caught up with your 2013 mail, it would appear.

The Academy Team is 19-23yo, senior players - not junior.

As for the Academies, this has a bit of hair on. The Academies will need run in conjunction with current SANFL junior programs. The SANFL clubs can surely damage their success?

In any case, where was the farewell from the club for the juniors?
I'm sure there will be something organised at the end of the season. It's nice to see that you care so much for boys under 18 years of age.

I actually care that over 200 kids are not playing football at an elite level. Whoever (cue SANFL/SANFL clubs/Port Adelaide) thought this was a great outcome needs to have a good hard look at themselves.
Could've used your support 10-12 months ago when every man and his dog was advocating that we lose the juniors on the "can't have your cake..." argument.

I actually care that over 200 kids are not playing football at an elite level. Whoever (cue SANFL/SANFL clubs/Port Adelaide) thought this was a great outcome needs to have a good hard look at themselves.
Who are you? And are you and grassrootsfooty m8z?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your shitty SANFL wanted the Port juniors gone, they are gone, now your SANFL can find somewhere else for the kid to play. Got nothing to do with us. How hard is that to understand?

Farewell the junior team, is that a joke or what? Like a mock funeral attended by current players and parents?

Geez imagine these dinosaurs in real life, must just be "Port this, Port that" 24/7.

I was - just not on here!

Pity supporters of your club didn't really do anything!

Not true. What you fail to understand is that at anytime we can be instructed to leave the SANFL with 12 months notice and we have no say in the matter. If you have no say in the matter about your participation in the competition, how can stomping up and down about juniors get you anywhere? You have zilch idea of the angst felt within the club by the parents and former players with young boys wanting to have a shot at playing for Port in the sanfl, and zilch idea about how it has been received by Port's board. The situation is volatile. If you choose to not recognise it then you're a trouble maker and a ********, if you do choose to recognise it then you were only ignorant to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As for the Academies, this has a bit of hair on. The Academies will need run in conjunction with current SANFL junior programs. The SANFL clubs can surely damage their success?

Which academies (plural) are you talking about as being "hairy" ?

The Indigenous Academy ? For which the Federal Govt. recently granted PAFC/PCL a very hairy six-figure sum ?

The International Academy ?
Tell me how 'the SANFL clubs can surely damage (its) success'. I certainly need to know this before I set it up.

Have a guess which ones I was referring too!

I don't have to do anything. You're the one non-specifically stirring the pot you say you're closer to than anyone else ... nearly a year out of date.

Nice, thanks for the compliment.

I know a lot more than you think and am a lot closer aligned to the situation than most on here probably have ever been.

I can tell you that the backlash with this by supporters and the club has been quite poor. It's a real shame!

Well it was a case of 'either or' but 'not both'.

I know something about it too.

Personally I would prefer a supporter backlash, a real loud one, but ... it is a volatile situation.

Yes, I am disappointed with the quiet exit of the juniors at the last game.

Fair dinkum, why would Port commit to academies across the traditional zones but not want juniors in the sanfl? The club wants juniors.

How do you think they will continue to feed the Academy side?

They'll have to be trying to entice u18 to not join their zoned sanfl club, but good luck with that, and they'll then have to try and entice over 18s to leave their sanfl club, and good luck with that too. You really think Port is choosing to have to be surviving like this? No, they want a zone, they want u18s, and they want to bring up their own developed junior into the Academy side.

seriously are you for real, clearly your ignorance proves you have no idea what you are talking about, similar to another chap the frequents this area. once the sanfl clubs voted the crows in the maggies were doomed, we were told we had to accept the same model or the maggies would be kicked out of the league. now the club had to fight to keep what little resemblance of an sanfl structure they could. port wanted it juniors and its zones, no doubt about it, but the sanfl forced our hand with that. no port supporter was or is happy about the club losing its zones or it juniors, and no port supporter is happy that hundreds of young footballers dont get the chance to play at junior level at an sanfl club, thats not our doing, thats the sanfl and their petty pathetic whining clubs fault. their actions were based out of petty jealousy and greed, not whats best for south australian football. i do however hold hope that it is only temporary and as soon as everyone realises the best place to develop young football talent is around professional sporting clubs, not amateurs, and all afl clubs have some academy teams with juniors the better of everyone will be. the s**t hit the fan 12 months ago, thats when the uproar was by all concerned.

hey, where did the postie go.... such an ignorant fool just like our bay mate, someone tell grassrootsbloke its still august and its cricket season for his lot. the rest of us have bigger things to worry about the next few weeks

Of what pathway? Trying to scramble together amateur blokes?

I see that grassrootsfooty has demoted himself/herself to just using likes, saves him/her from getting corrected all the time.

Mate I will write something but will just end up with another violation and it will be removed but there ya go. All I can say if you hate the SANFL so much why be part of it take your bat and ball and go somewhere else, I truly dont think the majority of SANFL supporters will care in fact there might be somewhat of a celebration as the competion will become just that a real true competition again!!!!

Mate I will write something but will just end up with another violation and it will be removed but there ya go. All I can say if you hate the SANFL so much why be part of it take your bat and ball and go somewhere else, I truly dont think the majority of SANFL supporters will care in fact there might be somewhat of a celebration as the competion will become just that a real true competition again!!!!

Well write something balanced and decent for a change.

To be a real competition, bingo clubs like Glenelg need to leave ;)

I don't hate the sanfl the competition but I loathe the criminals running it. I attend all Magpies games, and I visit all grounds, I am not afraid to visit all grounds and don't carry hatred towards the volunteers at each club helping to sell a drink and a pie. Do you visit games at Alberton and if so do you BYO drink and pie?

Well write something balanced and decent for a change.

To be a real competition, bingo clubs like Glenelg need to leave ;)

I don't hate the sanfl the competition but I loathe the criminals running it. I attend all magpies games, and I visit all grounds, I am not afraid to visit all grounds and don't carry hatred towards the volunteers at each club helping to sell a drink and a pie. Do you visit games at Alberton and if so do you BYO drink and pie?

You keep thinking that and the other 8 Clubs supporters will think what they want to think, I hear its pretty obvious there thoughts, you dont have to look to far!!!!!!!!!! I suppose you could always play with yourselves if thats the case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still waiting on my violations and deletion of posts !

You keep thinking that and the other 8 Clubs supporters will think what they want to think, I hear its pretty obvious there thoughts, you dont have to look to far!!!!!!!!!! I suppose you could always play with yourselves if thats the case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still waiting on my violations and deletion of posts !

Which part are you referring to? The Bays are a bingo club or another part?

So, do you attend Alberton games? Buy a drink and a pie?

Which part are you referring to? The Bays are a bingo club or another part?

So, do you attend Alberton games? Buy a drink and a pie?

Used to but want attend AFL Reserves games out of protest against my club voting YES! Will go to all other games, dont mind as I watch the amatuers in those weeks of AFL reserves having played at a local club!

Back