What would you expect for Croad?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 13, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
It appears the Bulldogs, Melbourne, Geelong and Carlton are all in the market for Croad, with Hawthorn a possibility after losing Rawlings. What would you expect to get for him?

On the Drafts and Trading board, a Saints fan has suggested Black + second round pick. Personally, I'd take that deal in an instant. It would give us a quick, silky skilled left footer when in form who reportedly wants to play for us and the chance to draft Moody/Spencer/Johnson.

What do you think?

Theres no doubt croads value has plummeted. A fringe player and second round is probably the best we could get, that being the case id probably prefer someone like brett johnson instead of black. it still wouldnt surprise me if someone did give up a first round pick

I'd take that deal with Saint Kilda. However I'd probably go Trent Croad + second round pick for Heath Black + first round. The stocks of both players have plummeted but I'd expect that Saint Kilda may want to push a deal for Croad so we could probably demand a bit more.

If we were dealing with Melbourne I'd make a straight swap for Armstrong or (if they are stupid enough) pick 5.

I'd take a slab of Jim Beam Black, but I'm sure the FFC would prefer something more substantial.

Draft picks wouldn't cut it IMHO, I think we have the youth to take us all the way, I'd want an experienced player in exchange, I like aesops idea to take Armstrong.. but this might be selfihs, I'd send him to Adelaide in exchange for Nelson, got a lot of time for Ben, if he ends up at another AFL club I'd want it to be Freo, otherwise keep him at Unley.

I'd hold out for Croad. Black left Freo and he'd be lucky to be welcomed back.

If Croad went back to Melbourne, You'd get better players for him because that's where he came from and he plays better footy their.

Go Russel Robertson from Melbourne for Croad + second round draft pick at least if Melbourne want him.

Just a suggestion

Originally posted by Docker_Brat
I'd take a slab of Jim Beam Black, but I'm sure the FFC would prefer something more substantial.

Will throw in a couple of Eagles showbags for CC's kiddies - that'll clinch it.

there's no chance in hell we'd get russell robertson, he's just won Melbs b&F. anyway freo doesn't need another smallish forward. i'd be happy with heath black and a 2nd rnd pick, but i think we should give craod another season.

Originally posted by ImperialPurple
I s'pose they could use them for air-sick bags on the flight to visit the grandparents at Chrissie time....:D

Considering what they cost and what you got, that's as good a use as any

Actually, there's a parallel there with Trent Fraud: what he cost and what you got".

G'day guys, found it:

Fremantle has fielded several enquiries for the out-of-favour Steven Koops. The Dockers have also had some interest from Victoria regarding the status of Trent Croad, but the stumbling block is that he has two years of a contract remaining with earnings next year close to $600,000.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,7441202-23211,00.html

I always thought Koops was a pretty handy player. Imagine he would be your best chance of any bartering in trade week but can't imagine he'd be keen to head east.
CU...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

D_J B_J,

You know I'm the trading expert who supports St Kilda - forget the imitations!

There's no way we'd offer Heath Black plus a second rounder for Croad. Was it PhantomSaint who offered that? Yeah, well....we'd get Pavlich for a 3rd Rounder in his view.

No way either would happen.

You might get a 4th Rounder as well as Black, but we wouldn't go higher.

If you're expecting to us to take all the remaining $1m-1.2m over and give you Heath Black and then some, then you're crazy.

Black + 4th Rounder for Croad, only if he offers to drop $250-300k off his salary.

Sound ridiculous? Matthew Allan shaved 450k off his, and did it at the same club, and didn't have the lure of moving home/interstate like we can offer Croad.

Originally posted by Kapow!!!
Go Russel Robertson from Melbourne for Croad + second round draft pick at least if Melbourne want him.

I like this deal. We will take the 2nd round or Jeff Farmer whatever makes you happy. You won't get a better deal for a 2003 best and fairest winner.

BT youre definitely on your own mate. Armstrong has got to stay and if he was on the market he would command a lot more than Trent Croad.

Originally posted by evertonfc
D_J B_J,

You know I'm the trading expert who supports St Kilda - forget the imitations!

There's no way we'd offer Heath Black plus a second rounder for Croad. Was it PhantomSaint who offered that? Yeah, well....we'd get Pavlich for a 3rd Rounder in his view.

No way either would happen.

You might get a 4th Rounder as well as Black, but we wouldn't go higher.

If you're expecting to us to take all the remaining $1m-1.2m over and give you Heath Black and then some, then you're crazy.

Black + 4th Rounder for Croad, only if he offers to drop $250-300k off his salary.

Sound ridiculous? Matthew Allan shaved 450k off his, and did it at the same club, and didn't have the lure of moving home/interstate like we can offer Croad.

Fair enough.

However, I wouldn't take Heath Black and a fourth rounder for Croad as the Bulldogs, Geelong and Melbourne would all be prepared to offer more. Now that Rawlings has chosen the Kangaroos as his club of choice, Croad remains the most valuable key position player on the market, and I believe several clubs are prepared to offer their second round pick and a player.

Also, unless you can provide a reliable source to the salary Croad is currently on, I wouldn't speculate on it. He took a pay cut in the middle of the season and several media outlets are reporting vastly different figures as to the amount he is getting paid.

Koops' market value would probably be equal to a high second round pick, and depending on the club/s expressing interest in him (and which picks they are able to offer), that deal should be considered.

Originally posted by Kapow!!!

Surely you are kidding? We don't need another flashy, inconsistent flanker (especially not at the expense of Croad and our second rounder). We already have Farmer, Medhurst, T Lo, Koops and Waterhouse who are similar players.

Would be surprised if another club took on Croad because it was reported in yesterday's Australian that his contract is backloaded and will be paid $600000 next year. It was reported that Farmer's contract was also similarly backended.

Also, unless you can provide a reliable source to the salary Croad is currently on, I wouldn't speculate on it. He took a pay cut in the middle of the season and several media outlets are reporting vastly different figures as to the amount he is getting paid.
==========================================

What have you heard |D_J^B_J| what salary do you think he is on for next year?
I know a lot of media outlets are saying about $600,000 a year which i think would be a bit of the mark.

Trade Croad for a reasonable player and draft picks and pay half his wage.

The draft pick will be on minimum wage and the player will be on a lot less than Croad. Equal trade to playing stocks but a decrease in the TPP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back