Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonka

I defend the remake, prequel, serial sequel stuff more than most, mostly because I just don’t think a bad remake impacts the originals legacy. If it’s good or even passable great and it might just introduce a new generation to the original.

I fell asleep for some short stints (newborn twins) but… this was pretty s**t.

It’s a full blown, song every second scene musical which I didn’t know, I get why they’ve done it but if they were they needed to cast better singers. Timothy is doing his best and he’s fine but the whole thing is just utterly forgettable.

I hope the new gen liked it but it missed every mark for me.

Love Lies Bleeding - Liked Rose Glass' follow up to Saint Maud quite a bit. Complete with several holy s**t moments, body horror, an ending that just goes for it and Kristen Stewart being Kristen Stewart. Katy O'Brien and Ed Harris are the standouts. Clears Drive-Away Dolls for lesbian capers to be released this year. 8/10

Monkey Man - Whilst I don't think this is on the level of a John Wick it's not a cheap knockoff by any means. Found the second half to be better than the first, which is rare for these types of films - screenplay probably a bit too choppy. Dev Patel is pretty capable as a director (though I'd just like to see him get good acting roles). 7/10

Roadhouse 1989 and 2024 back to back

Its probably 1990 since I saw the original so it was mostly new to me

The story wasnt new but as explained in the 2nd one its like a western where the hero rides in takes care of business and rides out again

Both have their merits and downfalls but ultimately its a long drawn out fight movie with cartoon characters - invincible fighter, big man about town and flunky sidekicks who make the hero look tougher

It might seem odd to say but I felt the original had a bit more believability

But overall 2 good weekend movies where you dont need to extend any brain power - both probably get 7/10

The opening scene in 2024 looked to be very heavy CGI - looked cartoonish. Also 2 knife wounds to the stomach over 4-5 days and he gets stitches? C'mon Man

At least Swayze went to hospital for a gash

Guy Ritchies The Covenant - Prime

Best movie I've seen all year

It would get a 10 but the American location dragged - I understand the need for the scenes but it was out of step with the rest of the movie

9.5/10
I watched this largely from your review and thoroughly enjoyed it. Nothing groundbreaking but a very well made film and score(that at times reminded me of )

Dar Salim was perfect in his/her/their role as was JG.

A very solid film

Black Sheep 1996 with Chris Farley and David spade. Seen it multiple times. Just a fun, silly comedy. Chris Farley was such a good comedy actor. The movie isn't Tommy Boy level but it's good all the same.
7/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dune Part Two (2024)

The movie did not disappoint and captured "the vibe" of the book nicely, even though the story was changed to suit the movie they wanted to make.

The only disappointing part for me was when Paul drank the Water of Life (WOL). They only played it as being a man surviving the WOL makes him the messiah, whereas, in the book, this is fleshed out much more. There's a place where reverend mothers/Bene Gesserit cannot look, a place only the Kwisatz Haderach can look. When he sees this place (while unconscious after drinking the WOL as a vision), he understands that the Spacing Guild uses spice to jump through space, so the true power of the spice is revealed. Without spice, there's no space travel. Worlds would be cut off. I also missed the line, "Father, the sleeper has awakened." But they did it differently, and it was OK. That whole bit about Shani's tears was not in the book. They added that.

The movie's ending takes a different path from the book, with Paul taking on the role of the avenger (in killing Baron Harkonen), a task originally assigned to his sister in the book. This change, along with the fact that his sister isn't even born yet at the end of the movie, provides an interesting contrast to the book's conclusion.

Despite the differences, I thought it was a good movie. 7/10

Last edited:
Godzilla X Kong - The New Empire: My son was keen to see this and I'm always up for a monster movie so off we went on Saturday for a boys day of buying xbox games, having lunch and seeing this. These MonsterVerse movies have really changed style and target audience from Kong Skull Island and Godzilla (the one with Heisenberg). I really enjoyed both of those, they were quite dark, mysterious, good build up, good character introduction and excellent pace. They really have morphed into Transfomers style, Michael Bay sort of stuff. The acting was dead set terrible, the two token comic relief actors didn't land a single punch comedy wise and the female lead was cringey. However this is a monster movie so if you want to see Kong and Godzilla beat up on numerous other titans then it delivers. Kong and Godzilla live in harmony by being out of each others way, Kong has an evil twin in some undiscovered part of Hollow Earth and there is also an evil Godzilla, I doubt I have to explain the rest. My son (he's a youngin) loved it and I loved watching him love it so the day a 10/10 the movie eeerrrrr 4/10.

Dune Part Two (2024)

The movie did not disappoint and captured "the vibe" of the book nicely, even though the story was changed to suit the movie they wanted to make.

The only disappointing part for me was when Paul drank the Water of Life (WOL). They only played it as being a man surviving the WOL makes him the messiah, whereas, in the book, this is fleshed out much more. There's a place where reverend mothers/Bene Gesserit cannot look, a place only the Kwisatz Haderach can look. When he sees this place (while unconscious after drinking the WOL as a vision), he understands that the Spacing Guild uses spice to jump through space, so the true power of the spice is revealed. Without spice, there's no space travel. Worlds would be cut off. I also missed the line, "Father, the sleeper has awakened." But they did it differently, and it was OK. That whole bit about Shani's tears was not in the book. They added that.

The movie's ending takes a different path from the book, with Paul taking on the role of the avenger (in killing Baron Harkonen), a task originally assigned to his sister in the book. This change, along with the fact that his sister isn't even born yet at the end of the movie, provides an interesting contrast to the book's conclusion.

Despite the differences, I thought it was a good movie. 7/10
This is explained really clearly in the first movie (i watched it today in anticipation of 2 tomorrow)

Godzilla X Kong - The New Empire: My son was keen to see this and I'm always up for a monster movie so off we went on Saturday for a boys day of buying xbox games, having lunch and seeing this. These MonsterVerse movies have really changed style and target audience from Kong Skull Island and Godzilla (the one with Heisenberg). I really enjoyed both of those, they were quite dark, mysterious, good build up, good character introduction and excellent pace. They really have morphed into Transfomers style, Michael Bay sort of stuff. The acting was dead set terrible, the two token comic relief actors didn't land a single punch comedy wise and the female lead was cringey. However this is a monster movie so if you want to see Kong and Godzilla beat up on numerous other titans then it delivers. Kong and Godzilla live in harmony by being out of each others way, Kong has an evil twin in some undiscovered part of Hollow Earth and there is also an evil Godzilla, I doubt I have to explain the rest. My son (he's a youngin) loved it and I loved watching him love it so the day a 10/10 the movie eeerrrrr 4/10.
Agree completely... I dropped off this series after Godzilla vs Kong, so this new one will be the first I haven't seen in the cinema. I love a giant monster movie, but these ones have just got dumber and dumber and dumber with each new instalment. I really rate the 2014 Godzilla that Gareth Edwards made. Great slow-burn build up, CGI that felt grounded and lifelike, and while the performances weren't great, they nailed tone of the movie. It recognised that the key to making a good genre film is to take what may well be a ridiculous premise (giant monsters), but then treat it seriously in terms of the execution of that premise.

Kong Skull Island was also a pretty good effort, but the rot started to set in with Godzilla King Of The Monsters - really stupid story, stupid characters doing stupid things, and that really accelerated with Godzilla v Kong which was nigh on unwatchable. A level of idiocy to the story and characters that made the previous movie look like The Godfather by comparison and just wall to wall CG effects that basically made the whole thing a cartoon. I know these things are making money, but it's just kind of sad thinking about what this franchise might have been if the studio had treated their own product with some respect. Especially when you look at how Godzilla Minus One managed to embarrass these last couple of the US made ones despite only having about 10% of the budget.

Last edited:
Blade Runner (1982)

In my quest to continue watching movies either of pop culture/cult status level or ranking in various 'greatest of all time' lists, I happened upon Blade Runner. I think for a moment I would confuse this movie with Blade.. and not liking Wesley Snipes meant I never considered it. Boy was I surprised when I found out I was wrong, lol

I'm not sure what to think of this movie.. reading some of the stuff written about it via Wiki, there's comments about it being a bit slow which I could relate to. I find it interesting reading about things like how the story is in the book versus how it ended up on film.. the question of "Was Deckerd a replicant"? Where supposedly in the book he was not, but Ridley Scott wanted him to be and was pushed back on by Harrison Ford as he didn't want him to be. So then we're left with a slight implication with no confirmation.

It is interesting to look at it from the perspective of how they thought 2019 would look.. though they were able to imagine flying cars but not moving past CRT TVs :sweatsmile: such is the tech they had available I guess

I think perhaps it could have done with a little more depth building, understanding more of the back story to it but nevertheless.

I did enjoy it. Easy to see how it influenced future movies - The Fifth Element comes to mind, as does the first episode of the SW trilogy, with the way the cities looked etc.

Looking forward to watching 2049..

Blade Runner (1982)

In my quest to continue watching movies either of pop culture/cult status level or ranking in various 'greatest of all time' lists, I happened upon Blade Runner. I think for a moment I would confuse this movie with Blade.. and not liking Wesley Snipes meant I never considered it. Boy was I surprised when I found out I was wrong, lol

I'm not sure what to think of this movie.. reading some of the stuff written about it via Wiki, there's comments about it being a bit slow which I could relate to. I find it interesting reading about things like how the story is in the book versus how it ended up on film.. the question of "Was Deckerd a replicant"? Where supposedly in the book he was not, but Ridley Scott wanted him to be and was pushed back on by Harrison Ford as he didn't want him to be. So then we're left with a slight implication with no confirmation.

It is interesting to look at it from the perspective of how they thought 2019 would look.. though they were able to imagine flying cars but not moving past CRT TVs :sweatsmile: such is the tech they had available I guess

I think perhaps it could have done with a little more depth building, understanding more of the back story to it but nevertheless.

I did enjoy it. Easy to see how it influenced future movies - The Fifth Element comes to mind, as does the first episode of the SW trilogy, with the way the cities looked etc.

Looking forward to watching 2049..
So i absolutely love Blade Runner, showed it to my wife and she fell asleep and said it was the most boring slow ass movie ever. 2049 is equally brilliant (especially visually) but again, pretty slow.

For the record the first two blade movies are awesome

So i absolutely love Blade Runner, showed it to my wife and she fell asleep and said it was the most boring slow ass movie ever. 2049 is equally brilliant (especially visually) but again, pretty slow.

For the record the first two blade movies are awesome

I'll add Blade to my watch list then!

I forget which ones of the directors cuts version it is but its made much more explicit that Deckard is a replicant (I think it may be "Final Cut")
Its one of my faves, his vision of the future still looks great and you can see the influence alot of modern sci fi.
Its funny that Scott could do two of my all time favourite movies in this and Alien early in his career and then I'm pretty ambivalent to the rest of his catalogue (I dont mind Gladiator as a spectacle but wouldnt be in my favourites list).

I like 2049 but heck Leto is annoying in it, he's annoying in everything though.

I forget which ones of the directors cuts version it is but its made much more explicit that Deckard is a replicant (I think it may be "Final Cut")
Its one of my faves, his vision of the future still looks great and you can see the influence alot of modern sci fi.
Its funny that Scott could do two of my all time favourite movies in this and Alien early in his career and them I'm pretty ambivalent to the rest of his catalogue (I dont mind Gladiator as a spectacle but wouldnt be in my favourites list).

I like 2049 but * Leto is annoying in it, he's annoying in everything though.

Pretty good in Requiem but

Remove this Banner Ad

Back