Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Tarot (2024) 4/10 Bog-stock average horror movie that would appeal more to teens than adults. Concepts that have been done 100 times before are used again and the characters continually make dumb predictable mistakes.

Late night with the devil (2023) 6.5/10 Good concept for a horror movie that gives off 70s/80s vibes. While it kept me interested until the end, the abrupt climax lets the movie down.

I didn't say not sure if IMDB (or whomever) classes it as a horror, I said not sure I class it as a horror. I found it to be more of a thriller, didn't have many particularly frightening elements.
Fair enough.

I think it’s a pretty common discussion point for many a horror film.

I certainly think Get Out is horror (and was one of the first wave of high concept horror) and most critics and it’s press was at pains to call it a horror. Lacking jump scares doesn’t really make a horror film to me.

Last edited:

“They plan to revise it by releasing 3 films a year.” Wasn’t that always the case though (don’t reply it’s probably wrong Xd)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, like...maybe take it to one a year? They seem woefully out of touch.

Hit up the screening of a Pasolini film, and decided to watch a few of his other films first to get into the mood. 1961's Accatone was his first film, and one of the most assured directorial debuts you've ever seen (he was almost 40 and had been a poet and a writer before, and done some work on the script of Fellini's Nights of Cabiria, so it wasn't completely out of nowhere but still impressive). The titular pimp struggles to make ends meet for himself after his prostitute gets sent to prison. It's an incredibly bleak film, one foot in the then-embers of the Italian neorealist movement. It takes skill to create an empathy for a pretty unlikeable bunch.

1962's Mamma Roma was the follow up, and probably by reputation lives in its predecessor's shadow, but I loved it more. It stars the incredible Anna Magnani, who is such an immense presence in everything I've seen, as an aged prostitute who's still walking the streets to provide the illusion of a comfortably middle class life to her teenage son, who she's raising alone. Similarly bleak, similarly one foot in Italian neorealism and one foot in something beyond that, I found this bewitching.

1964's The Gospel According to St Matthew is probably the most acclaimed cinematic telling of Christ's life (alongside Scorsese's). Pasolini was a gay atheist communist, so one wouldn't necessarily expect him to tackle this subject, particularly in a relatively straight up, adulatory way. But what draws Pasolini to the story of Christ is Him as a radical figure, subverting the Roman establishment and fighting for dignity for the downtrodden. It's a gem (and I say this myself as an atheist).

Then off to the cinema for 1966's The Hawks and the Sparrows, Pasolini's flirtation with comedy and, of his movies, one that's more beloved in Italy than it is abroad. In many ways it's a film that throws endless moments of comedy at the viewer, and so if one falls flat then it's fine because here comes another. It's a bit overwhelming in some ways, and reminded me of some of the psychedelic youth films that were just around the corner such as The Monkees' Head. A father and son walk down a road, and are joined by a talking left-wing intellectual crow, who tells them an allegorous tale of two friars (played by the same pair as father and son) in 1200 who preach the Gospel to hawks and sparrows, trying to discover the language of birds and bring peace to their conflict. It's all madcap, and there's a lot of meaning within the silliness, which there's a lot of.

A fun deep dive, and good time to take a break (I don't need Salo in my life at the moment!).

Get Out is one of my favourite movies for sure. Appreciate it more every time I watch it.

Also Jordan Peele reckons it's a horror so definitely a horror/thriller. Some awesome comedic reprieve too with Peele showing his comedy chops. Hits all those tonal shifts so well.

Fall Guy - chemistry between Gosling and Blunt is great. Dialogue was enjoyable too. Great way to spend time at the movies 4/5

Challengers - better than I was expecting but not as raunchy as they advertised. Overuse of slow-mo though drove me up the wall. The two guys really bugged me too.3/5

Agree on this.

Ive listened to the big picture on the ringer for years now and the duo of Sean Fennessy and Chris Ryan mirror my sensibilities (albeit with a much better education and knowledge). Amanda Dobbins is also a good voice of reason if theyre getting real bro-ey too.

I tried listening to another film podcast the other day, that final scene i think its called and it was woeful.
Despite the trailer looking crap I took my wife to see Challengers because of them raving about it, it did not disappoint!
2nd fave movie of the year so far after Dune 2 and goddamn the Reznor and Ross soundtrack is so good, reckon I will listen to the continous mix version of it on my next run.
I didnt realise it was going to be so intentionally funny/camp, had a really good laugh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've actually queued up a few MCU titles and will have a mini MCU marathon over the next few weeks. It's been over a year since I last watched a few of them.

There are several MCU movies I can't stand or have little time for (eg Ant Man, GOTG) thus I'll be skipping. I watched Iron Man Tuesday night, will follow it up with Incredible Hulk next, then Captain America 1, Avengers etc etc.

Ledger's Joker is unbeatable but I thought Hardy as Bane was great, although is it true a lot of people hate the voice? I really liked that part of the character, seemed unique.

I think where they stuffed up the voice and why the updated one is unpopular ... is during the previews (back when they made the first 6 minutes of the film available) nobody could hear Bane properly as he was incoherent and muffled.

So they re-recorded and remixed his lines... but the reverse happened, the voice now over powers everything else (background music, sound effects, very stark contrast between his Re recorded voice vs the actors he's in a scene with etc etc). It's distracting and can take you out of the movie.

Let’s be real you guys, I’m probs only gonna watch the ones my son wants to, plus any that have a cool woman superhero chick. Does Black Widow have her own movie?
Been said but Black Widow is a tough sit, also defs not kid friendly.

Wonder Woman is good but it is dark. Its sequel is also terrible.

Captain Marvel the first one is pretty good (strong 90s nostaliga for you as well).

I think the best female superhero led stuff was Jessica Jones, a TV show but its NOT kid friendly either.
Talk to Me was the best Horror movie i'd seen over the last couple of years. I keep going to cue Get Out but then end up watching something else. Must get around to it
Talk to me was amazing. I think X and Pearl were good too.

Captain Marvel the first one is pretty good (strong 90s nostaliga for you as well).

I think the best female superhero led stuff was Jessica Jones, a TV show but its NOT kid friendly either.

Yes, X is another I need to get around to.

I was a big fan of Knock at the Cabin and loved the tension their. But maybe not technically a Horror.
Bautista was amazing.

Thank you! Muchos appreciated

Barbie

I mean, if you take it for what it is, it's not too bad. I actually think Ryan Gosling was the funniest part about it but there were certainly a few lines that gave me a chuckle. Don't regret watching it but won't watch it again.

6.5/10
Good summation. Agree Gosling was a clear stand out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back