What's with the white shorts every week?

Remove this Banner Ad

kangaroo7

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I know it's the least of our worries at the moment, but is there any chance North can wear their blue shorts, and at least look the part? Of the seven rounds played North wore blue only once--Round 4 against Sydney in Sydney. Every other match, home or away they've worn white for no apparent reason.

I thought the home team had the choice of wearing their colured shorts and the visiting team had to adapt if there was a clash. For the team that instigated the wearing of colured shorts in 1974, North should wear them whenever they can. They're the only team I know who wear white for home matches.

Last edited:
This was the inevitable outcome of reverting to our traditional jumper, seeing as the AFL has a vague all dark vs all light policy. After PUMA designed a jumper with wider blue stripes, we had one small window of opportunity to make the number panel blue with a white number the same way that Oakleigh Chargers has but we stuck with white panel and blue numbers. Then when we came up against Geelong, what do we see? Geelong with their traditional jumper but with a blue number panel and white numbers. Exactly what we needed to do. That's what gave them the opportunity to wear blue shorts at our home game while we are stuck with white shorts. The only time we will ever wear blue shorts is when we play Sydney and Gold Coast.

I was looking at pics of Corey and Carey in the 99 GF in the news today and I don’t really care too much about shorts but I never ever want to see horizontal hooped socks again.

Have you noticed how only Jack and Todd wear full knee high hooped socks, whereas most of the other players wear cut off socks that are blue with two thin white stripes. Tom Powell is the odd one out his socks appear to be all blue. It reminds me of my early junior footy days at Parkmore Junior Football Club where half the team had a different shade of blue shorts, most had the wrong socks and the jumpers were all mismatched with different versions of the PFC monogram.

R1, R3, R4 and R7 all away games; even with our blue-based home kit from 2017-21, we wore white shorts (and usually the white top) away to Hawthorn, Brisbane and Carlton every time. Wouldn't mind seeing the blue shorts used in away games where we can (as we did against Sydney R4) but hardly out of the ordinary to wear white shorts away, nor would I say it's undesirable. The cartoon kangaroo, on the other hand...

As I discussed here, wearing white shorts as the home team (and a coloured alternate kit away) has very much been the norm for both sides in North v. Geelong clashes since ~2007, with only a handful of exceptions, and it makes sense in terms of the best way to avoid a clash: R6 was just the latest instance of the usual pattern. It matches the AFL's apparent general principle of preferring that one club (home or away) changes shorts rather than having to change kit altogether - likewise with R2 and R5 both being us home against a majority blue team away, there's a logic to wearing white shorts home against the Bulldogs and West Coast that doesn't exist for (say) our next home game v. Port Adelaide. (Last time we wore our standard home kit v. West Coast was 2007; we've worn white shorts home five times against them since then, for example.) I understand the contention that the home team should be able to determine their preferred kit, and the away team then has to find an acceptable alternative to that, but I prefer the more mutual approach; the issue in the AFL is the inconsistency of application, rather than the principles they (seem to) work from.

I've mentioned elsewhere, but my view is that this is a preferable status quo to the one we had for the last five years (wearing effectively an alternate strip as our 'home' and never wearing the white-based guernsey with blue shorts). We should be wearing the proper home kit wherever feasible, and I'll be disgruntled if we wear white shorts against, say, Port Adelaide in our next home game, or really at home against anyone not majority royal blue or white. But I don't see anything much wrong with the combinations we've gone with so far (apart from, as mentioned, the cartoon kangaroo...).

Our next home game in Melbourne is against the Demons. They have a navy blue jumper that they tend to wear with navy blue shorts and a royal blue jumper that they wear with white shorts. Seems pretty clear they will wear their navy strip and we'll have white shorts.

Our next home game in Melbourne is against the Demons. They have a navy blue jumper that they tend to wear with navy blue shorts and a royal blue jumper that they wear with white shorts. Seems pretty clear they will wear their navy strip and we'll have white shorts.
Dees should wear their white shorts in that situation it’s their away game

It's a predominantly white jumper, which means white shorts suit it much more. I really don't get the whole away team must wear white shorts mentality. Wear whatever looks best.

It's a predominantly white jumper, which means white shorts suit it much more. I really don't get the whole away team must wear white shorts mentality. Wear whatever looks best.

No I remember when we played Fitzroy in the mud in 1971 and being outraged that they wore red shorts at Arden St, forcing us into a slightly darker blue.

This was the inevitable outcome of reverting to our traditional jumper, seeing as the AFL has a vague all dark vs all light policy. After PUMA designed a jumper with wider blue stripes, we had one small window of opportunity to make the number panel blue with a white number the same way that Oakleigh Chargers has but we stuck with white panel and blue numbers. Then when we came up against Geelong, what do we see? Geelong with their traditional jumper but with a blue number panel and white numbers. Exactly what we needed to do. That's what gave them the opportunity to wear blue shorts at our home game while we are stuck with white shorts. The only time we will ever wear blue shorts is when we play Sydney and Gold Coast.
If the AFL use that dark v light reasoning then Sydney should always wear white shorts, and teams like Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne and Richmnond will always wear dark. The club must do something to rectify this, but I realise they have far bigger problems at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the thing. It doesn't look best. The blue shorts look much better and the club should'nt always give in and wear white especially at home games.

That's the thing. It doesn't look best. The blue shorts look much better and the club should'nt always give in and wear white especially at home games.
Disagree. Predominantly white top looks best with white shorts. How many teams across the world wear shorts that is a different colour to their top?

If the AFL use that dark v light reasoning then Sydney should always wear white shorts, and teams like Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne and Richmnond will always wear dark. The club must do something to rectify this, but I realise they have far bigger problems at the moment.

There seems to be a very loose interpretation of what is light and what is dark, with red being considered a light colour. Obviously that's total bullshit.

Disagree. Predominantly white top looks best with white shorts. How many teams across the world wear shorts that is a different colour to their top?

The majority colour of the top depends from what angle you're looking at it. Have a look at your avatar and tell me what colour is the majority colour of the North jumper.

The majority colour of the top depends from what angle you're looking at it. Have a look at your avatar and tell me what colour is the majority colour of the North jumper.
There is more white on the top than there is blue. Not from this angle or that one. The whole top. That is a fact.

You keep trying to twist what I am saying to suit your argument.

Predominantly white top = white shorts. It is not a difficult concept and is one followed around the world with maybe the exception of the NFL.

There is more white on the top than there is blue. Not from this angle or that one. The whole top. That is a fact.

You keep trying to twist what I am saying to suit your argument.

Predominantly white top = white shorts. It is not a difficult concept and is one followed around the world with maybe the exception of the NFL.

Yeah nah. North wearing white is for the tip. It's scientifically proven. As for your contention the whole top is white, you have been brainwashed by 25 years of mistreatment of our colours. North Melbourne is primarily royal blue. If you like white so much, go support Leeds United.

Guys, at least we don't have to wear brown shorts (yet)...

1651466574891.png

At VFL Park one day we watched the Eagles playing Hawthorn. I was yelling for Carl Langdon to deck somebody and my wife yelled out to pull Platten's hair. Maybe it was a coincidence but it happened. We had Hawthorn supporters almost lining up to kill us - blokes who baracked for Hawthorn were almost crying because people "like us" were wanting to see violence on the footy field.

And the eagles won.

That was nourishment that satusfied up until our 20 goal smashing of them after 10 years of losses.

I hold grudges. What can I say?

Yeah nah. North wearing white is for the tip. It's scientifically proven. As for your contention the whole top is white, you have been brainwashed by 25 years of mistreatment of our colours. North Melbourne is primarily royal blue. If you like white so much, go support Leeds United.
Again, you haven't read what I wrote - there is more white than blue across the whole of the top, not that the whole top is white.

I can see where this is going so I will leave you alone as I would hate to be dragged down to the level you roam and have you beat me with experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back