Strategy When Astbury is fit play Rance in the middle

If we put Hampson down back against the monsters, and just tell him that its like Ruck, he just has to palm the ball down, then that would release Rance to play every other position, at the same time. Hell, we could even rest 6 guys on the bench, because Rance would be covering a few positions. That would help with our run and carry, because players would be well rested.

Rance is not a good enough kick for the midfield. he's fine in the backline, where he intercepts the ball and then has the outlet kick to the player on the opposite wing who is 50m in the clear.

Rance trying to pinpoint a pass into the attacking half - eeehhhh, not so much.

And as plenty have said - we have one spot in our side sewn up (KPD) - why mess with that? That would be about as sensible as taking a 2-time Coleman Medallist and making him a half-forward flanker, ha, ha................

I would almost argue his kicking into the forward line would be much better than most of our current midfielders. Rance may miss targets on occasion but he does deliver the ball in a manner that would be easy for our forwards to mark if it was in their direction. Something tells me Rance is so good now he could easily play midfield or forward. The more I think about it the more it makes sense. We get killed in the middle on occasion and sometimes get made to look like training cones with opposition position to block our players. Rance is quick, agile and a fierce competitor. He would make every centre bounce a contest.

I would almost argue his kicking into the forward line would be much better than most of our current midfielders. Rance may miss targets on occasion but he does deliver the ball in a manner that would be easy for our forwards to mark if it was in their direction. Something tells me Rance is so good now he could easily play midfield or forward. The more I think about it the more it makes sense. We get killed in the middle on occasion and sometimes get made to look like training cones with opposition position to block our players. Rance is quick, agile and a fierce competitor. He would make every centre bounce a contest.
He's amazing an octave like the way he seems to tap the ball to advantage in contest. He'd certainly be giving our other midfielders first use of the ball and taking out one or two opposition midfielders in the contest.

It makes sense and we'll see it soon because I've asked RFC Official2 to pass on this thread to the coaching staff.

I reckon his kicking is so much better than it was. He also kicks it hard and flat.

Rance will be our Pav, the great pav started full back, went to CHB and then CHF/cum midfielder until his latter days as a gu full forward, rance has the goods to be just as good and versatile.

Hello Todd Elton then it's as much about building a flag winning team. Rance is actually 194 cm which would polarise opposition of he's on the ball. We could have a centre line of him , McIntosh and Ellis basically having two half back lines and locking the ball in up forward and Rance will definatley run both ways he just doesn't stop running

I love the lateral thinking Rusty. I would like to see it. But not sure that experimenting with this now would be the best thing for the team, given it's the 3rd round.....

Playing Rance in the Middle would be a a waste of his greatest asset. He's reading of the play and ability to intercept Mark.

I see him playing the Gibson role. Astbury comes in and locks down on best defender. Rance floats around the 50 and takes 15 Marks a game and launches many an attack.

How's that mate, what have you seen that indicates "don't bother, waste of space"? Truly keen to know...
He's been on the list 3-4 years now, started as a forward and got gifted a game early - fair enough. Went back to the VFL and put in a raft of average performances before being turned into a defender (our go to move when a player isn't working). As a defender he's continued to put in sub-par performances in the VFL, and has not once put his hand by playing an outstanding game - I don't recall him ever being in the best? Not only that, last year he had the audacity to have a bruhaha with the captain.

Just because he's big and tall and played a good NAB Cup game doesn't make him any good.

pav was an AA full back in 2002 and many more after that in various spots

Pav still a better defender than forward. But Pav is a better kick than Rancey unless Rancey really has improved his kicking out sight.

I would be interested to see Rance how he went in front of goals. Have my doubts but he might be a bigger version than Kingy with a bit more contested clout

He's been on the list 3-4 years now, started as a forward and got gifted a game early - fair enough. Went back to the VFL and put in a raft of average performances before being turned into a defender (our go to move when a player isn't working). As a defender he's continued to put in sub-par performances in the VFL, and has not once put his hand by playing an outstanding game - I don't recall him ever being in the best? Not only that, last year he had the audacity to have a bruhaha with the captain.

Just because he's big and tall and played a good NAB Cup game doesn't make him any good.

I thought you might have seen him play a bit...seen a fatal flaw or so.

Drafted in 2011...as a forward agree. Played in the 2's for 3 years...first 2 when we were burging. No doubt played 2nd fiddle to Griff in 2012 when he was in purgatory...and the Bean got front running up front for the 2's when he arrived in 2013

I'm told the TAC boys are 100% attack unless you have a defender nature, so the shift no doubt had to be accompanied with a mindset shift. Not sure about the blew with Cotch, but he got another 2 years in top of his draft 2 year contract.

So unless he is earmarked VFL and should have got a VFL contract, we have this year to find out if he can step up. Nothing you wrote tells me he is hopeless tho...you may of course be right.

Dimmas never going to drop Chappy and I actually think a backline of

Morris Astbury Vlaustin
Batchelor Chappy Houli

Should be able to get the job done most weeks. It's a big call but Rance just wins every contest he gets to so I'd swing him into the middle for the next two rounds against The Brions and The Vaults and let him rip. He's probably the 193cm midfielder we are looking for and will pip Fyfe and Bonts for the Brownlow.

Thoughts ?
Did you start the whole Grigg is a ruckman routine?

Did you start the whole Grigg is a ruckman routine?
Nah how the Grigg was a ruckman came about was that most on here thought he was Shaun Hampson when he announced he wanted to get to Richmond . Shaun Grigg , Shaun Hampson ( pretty confusing for some ) . The scary thing is we actually recruited the big useless bastard a few years later as well.

As for the It's Grigg not Griggs and it's pissing people off , a couple of us jumped on that people were calling him Griggs so we just went with it and then someone snapped and wrote that . Can't remember who it was but it was an awesome dumby spit. Tugga and Coggarules get the most enjoyment out of it .

Back