JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
I reckon how we set up with our mids will go a long way to securing the Team's success...
For me the return of a fit and firing GOAT is a big plus....
The return of a fit and firing JGraham with a pre-season under his belt and gotten over his toe injury will steady our rotations...
Meatball with his hammys is the big unknown...but in his favour has completed a pre-season...our success will be all about how we manage the Meatball!
Hopper has also completed a pre-season and seems to be over his previous injury concerns...
My boy Gow has shown a few tricks in the pre-season game and is the fittest side stepping whippet going around...a point of diff with our mids!
TommyTarants after familiarizing hisself with our midfied ought to continue with his great work and cap it all off by winning the Brownlow!
Then throw in all our untried young guns...
With the possibility of trying young brown/Trez as mids...or given a run there...
DISCUSS please...

our midfield is too slow......speed is where the game is at. Counter attack is where it's at.
If you're going to be slowish you better use the ball like Dusty or it's going to be a challenge.

Hope our young guys come up because we need some spark.

our midfield is too slow......speed is where the game is at. Counter attack is where it's at.
If you're going to be slowish you better use the ball like Dusty or it's going to be a challenge.

Hope our young guys come up because we need some spark.
Pies midfield in the flag was Pendlebury, Crisp, Daicos, Mitchell and De Goey. Plus Adams would've played if he was fit.

None of them are fast, plus Mitchell and Pendles are slow af.

Fast ball movement is the key, you don't necessarily need 4 sprinters in the middle.

Going on the article from Yze yesterday I get the midfield make up will be based on the following groups:

Centre Square:
Martin
Taranto
Hopper
Graham
Dow
Baker
Prestia

Wings:
Ross
Banks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies midfield in the flag was Pendlebury, Crisp, Daicos, Mitchell and De Goey. Plus Adams would've played if he was fit.

None of them are fast, plus Mitchell and Pendles are slow af.

Fast ball movement is the key, you don't necessarily need 4 sprinters in the middle.
Compared to graham, dusty, prestia, TT and hopper.

They're faster than ours. Pendlebury is on another level as a pure mid. His inside ball use is off the charts.
Dusty is a more rounded player and finals winner.

They're faster than ours. Pendlebury is on another level as a pure mid. His inside ball use is off the charts.
Fun Fact: Pendlebury played basketball before becoming a professional AFL player!

Fun Fact: Pendlebury played basketball before becoming a professional AFL player!
No Way Disbelief GIF

Elephant in the midfield room for me is Taranto and his vision. To me it’s looking like he’s got a great footy IQ until he gets the ball.
GWS getting better when he left hasn’t helped in my worries about him.
What Adem does with Taranto’s talents will make or break him as a coach.
NAILED IN ONE.

Need a ruck giving our mids good supply too as part of that midfield. Nank brings hardness and is good around the ground but struggles against the big guys. Not sure if Ryan has put the size on this year to be able to do it, Naismith could be good but is only one injury away from disaster and then it’s the big basketball lads, and who knows if either of them will even get close to AFL level.

Our midfield is probably our strongest line with Bolton, Martin, now Baker, Taranto, Hopper, Prestia, then guys like Graham, Dow, Mcauliffe, Ross.

The issue for me is to fit them all in the side, the pure inside mids will be forced to play other roles where they are really not suited to and there is alot of bad overlap with a few guys in terms of ball use, leg speed etc

Yeh agree. Pendlebury is multi-positional and has excellent ball use, Crisp, Daicos, De Goey are all dynamic as well as multi-positional. Mitchell is the only one dimensional mid with poor leg speed and part of the reason Adams left was because he was essentially being pushed as there wasn't enough room for both Mitchell and Adams and to then retain the balance of the side.

Elephant in the midfield room for me is Taranto and his vision. To me it’s looking like he’s got a great footy IQ until he gets the ball.
GWS getting better when he left hasn’t helped in my worries about him.
What Adem does with Taranto’s talents will make or break him as a coach.
Tad harsh. I think he carried our midfield and was forced to do so much. He led in stats, tackles, defensive and offensive running and whatever other category there is, kicked goals to boot. Probably why he tailed off at the end of the season.

I suspect this year with Hopper up and about, Dow emerging and Dusty fit and likely to play more midfield, he will not be so buggered when he gets the ball, hacking it forward, and he might get a bit more outside ball where he can settle before disposing. He kicks straight at goal so he can kick when it counts.

Our midfield is probably our strongest line with Bolton, Martin, now Baker, Taranto, Hopper, Prestia, then guys like Graham, Dow, Mcauliffe, Ross.

The issue for me is to fit them all in the side, the pure inside mids will be forced to play other roles where they are really not suited to and there is alot of bad overlap with a few guys in terms of ball use, leg speed etc
Great names on paper (and we tend to think of their best football when its names on paper) but all of them have significant downsides, be that inconsistency, lack of speed, disposal, injury concerns or lack of experience.

There are of course potential upsides but fundamentally it's a near similar midfield to the previous 2 years, whislt other teams have also improved theirs. I wouldn't expect any improvement in ours to be that dramatic.

Last edited:
Great names on paper (and we tend to think of their best football when its names paper) but all of them have significant downsides, be that inconsistency, lack of speed, disposal, injury concerns or lack of experience.

There are of course potential upsides but fundamentally it's a near similar midfield to the previous 2 years, whislt other teams have also improved theirs. I wouldn't expect any improvement in ours to be that dramatic.
Realist

Remove this Banner Ad

Back