When Is A Contract A Contract ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
COLLINGWOOD has called for an industry-wide discussion on AFL contracts after releasing Rodney Eade for a cash payment and other sweeteners from the Gold Coast.

How did contracts work during the movement of people within the industry? It is something that needs to be reviewed and talked about as an industry. At the moment it’s very win-lose but that’s not fair or appropriate. We need to review and talk about it as an industry.”

I do think that this issue has gone on long enough, when is a contract a contract ??

Far too often we see coaches walk out to another club even though they may have another year or two left to go on their contract.

If a club sacks a coach, they have to pay out the remainder of the contract yet if the coach walks, it doesn't matter.

Either the contracts are binding or clubs don't have to get one signed, it's as simple as that.

I think it's also very relevant to players.

The last trade period didn't really shine through for players honouring their commitments.

Totally agree, if players & coaches can break contracts with relative ease, then what's the point of having them ??

It's also an issue when poorly run clubs sack a coach - pay the coach out - then interfere with another teams short/long term planning by pillaging their staff.

For example - Gold Coast sacking their coach then chasing our Head of Footy in the middle of the drafts/trading period.

Totally agree, if players & coaches can break contracts with relative ease, then what's the point of having them ??

My other question is with front loaded contracts...
$1.2M over 3 as 500,500,200
Player walks out on last year...because the new contract is also 1.2M over 4, but it's evenly split, so that year he walked out on gives him a bonus 200k.

AFL is very unprofessional compared to other codes in the 'weight' a contract holds.

Player walks out on last year...because the new contract is also 1.2M over 4, but it's evenly split, so that year he walked out on gives him a bonus 200k.

In that scenario, if a player was to walk like that, his original club would have to agree to it and shouldn't be liable for that last $200K. Why should they pay that amount when the player has walked already ??

It's also an issue when poorly run clubs sack a coach - pay the coach out - then interfere with another teams short/long term planning by pillaging their staff.

This new tax has created a viscous cycle.
Well managed clubs who invest in their football dept. are disadvantaged more if this scenario occurs.

In that scenario, if a player was to walk like that, his original club would have to agree to it and shouldn't be liable for that last $200K. Why should they pay that amount when the player has walked already ??

I mean instead of earning 200k, he'd earn 400k, thus getting a 'bonus' 200 purely because of how the contract was loaded.

If the contract has clauses that can be used to opt out, then that's what was signed and it's fine. If the party being "wronged" agrees to rescind the contract, it's fine. If that club wants the fair value of anything left on the contract and the other club agrees to pay, it's fine.

There aren't a hell of a lot of options you've got when you're dealing with people. You can't control people. Generally accepted practices within the sporting code mostly dictate what does and doesn't happen. Like the old assistant coach -> senior coach pathway. That's why Eddie looks like a bit of a knob.

Based on most of the post in the Eade leaving Collingwood thread a contract is binding or not depending on which team you support and how much you hate Eddie McGuire.

The AFL definately need to sort this out
However the AFL's behavior over contracts reguarding going to the expansion clubs makes this seem unlikely.

Who/what is the driver behind fixed term contracts for coaches and administrators?

I don't have a fixed term contract in my job. If I want to leave I give my notice and leave. If my employer wants to get rid of me they have to fire me for a breach of something or make my position redundant and pay me a sum based on length of service.

Coaches and administrators should be either bound by the same rules as players or not working to fixed term contracts. Unless you are Mitch Clark you can't just resign from one team and join another, so why should coaches be any different?

Who/what is the driver behind fixed term contracts for coaches and administrators?

I don't have a fixed term contract in my job. If I want to leave I give my notice and leave. If my employer wants to get rid of me they have to fire me for a breach of something or make my position redundant and pay me a sum based on length of service.

Coaches and administrators should be either bound by the same rules as players or not working to fixed term contracts. Unless you are Mitch Clark you can't just resign from one team and join another, so why should coaches be any different?

Employment contracts are quite common in the 'real world'.
2 main reasons. Firstly, it allows bosses to fire you by just not extending your contract...Much easier than finding 'cause'.
Secondly (and possibly more relevant for AFL) it's to lock people in for the duration of a project (or season) avoiding the costs/inefficiencies of needing to bring new people up to speed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do think that this issue has gone on long enough, when is a contract a contract ??

Far too often we see coaches walk out to another club even though they may have another year or two left to go on their contract.

If a club sacks a coach, they have to pay out the remainder of the contract yet if the coach walks, it doesn't matter.

Either the contracts are binding or clubs don't have to get one signed, it's as simple as that.

How many have done it without a clause in their contract allowing them to?

I believe most assistant coaches have a clause that allows them to leave if they're being offered a position as head coach

It is only a contract if & only if it is overseen by The Fat Controller.
Any other contract can become null & void when The Fat Controller is disadvantaged by such a contract.
Should The Fat Controller request any compensation anytime a contract he has overseen is in question, then he has the right to perform some puppetry with the Polo Queen in order to achieve his desired outcome.

Many footy fans dont know whether or not coaches/players are actually under contract - are there any senior coaches who have walked out on a job in favour of job with another club?

Any football manager worth his salt wouldnt draft such a contract.

With free agency now available for players, it should move more towards the NBA where a player doesn't get to choose where he goes while in contract.

Clubs have no power atm, changing this rule would pull the power back a bit more towards the clubs.

For example why shouldn't Adelaide be able to trade Dangerfield to the highest bidder, while in contract if he doesn't sign an extension?

I support Collingwood and want what's best for my club not the players.

Last edited:
Of course Collingwood didn't have a problem with this when they were poaching stars, or trying to poach contracter stars from other clubs a few years ago.

Now that the tables have turned, they want a review. Typical. :rolleyes:

Do agree in essence regarding the strength of a contract now, players like Tom Body can just dictate where they want to go, and at the risk of compensation, the home club is in the backseat.

Of course Collingwood didn't have a problem with this when they were poaching stars, or trying to poach contracter stars from other clubs a few years ago.

Now that the tables have turned, they want a review. Typical. :rolleyes:

Do agree in essence regarding the strength of a contract now, players like Tom Body can just dictate where they want to go, and at the risk of compensation, the home club is in the backseat.

So if you agree, what was the point of having your Collingwood dig? You sound like an idiot.

Collingwood, Hawthorn and Geelong have had a massive amount of assistants leave while in contract, I actually can't remember the last contracted player Collingwood picked up, I am sure you will do some research and let us all know.

It's a contract when the club make the player/coach stick to it. You can't roll over and let people leave and then wail about contract integrity.

Graeme Wright stayed at Hawthorn, Stewart Dew stayed at Sydney.

The key difference between contracted players and coaches is you need to trade to get contracted players. Port and Brisbane gave up first round picks (among other things) to get Ryder and Beams from Essendon and Collingwood.

If we decide we want to ditch Simpson and go after a contracted Clarkson or Hinkley or whoever then we can't trade picks and players to do so. We'd just offer a contract of $x over y years and hope the coach's existing club lets them walk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back