Where Are They Now? A roll call of Roys people

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Where Are They Now?

There is one Fitzroy player who wasn't on the list - Jim Wynd.

I have never been able to work out why Fitzroy delisted him at the end of 1994 (he had not missed a game in 4 years, and was very talented), and why no other club picked him up in the draft.

Richmond picked him up he played a few games there, then he went to Central Districts in the SANFL, for a little while

good thread guys, like hearing how the roy boys are all going.

I have a story for you from about 10 years ago when I was at the Whitten oval (im pretty sure thats where it was) with my dad and my pa. Anyways we got there early to see a little bit of the curtain raiser when we were walking past the pie van i remember seeing Docka Wheildon chatting to some ladies. I stopped and my dad at the time who was holding my hand said to me have a look mate its docca, i had already stopped and smiled at him, he stopped his conversation and noticed me in my fitzroy jumper put his thumb at me and said gday buddy. This made my day, and ever since i have held alot of respect for the man.

Another roy boy i admire is Paul Roos. In about grade 6 i think, we had to write a letter to our idol, at the time i had number 1 on my back so i choose Roosy. I remember shortly after writing the letter, i got a reply a hand written reply of almost 2 pages long. i wish i still had the letter, but i have lost it. The guy was a champion and such admired amongst my family after doing such a thing. Most of my mates didnt get replies so it made me feel better.

Now i barrack for the kangaroos after the roy boys merged and i didnt want to support an interstate team in the brisbane lions.

Another ex roy boy i remember is "Mark Zannoti" what is doing with himself these days. he used to run around in the back half with no.16 on his back, bit of a pony tail, but no pussy.

Mark Zannotti, The Wildman form the Zambesi, was a good player, used to love seeing him "doing his solos" off the half back flank. Played some real good games for the 'Roys

Anthony 'Hooter' Mellington has just being appionted as Captian Caoch of Montmorency FC in DVFL.
Monty where coached last year by Matt Larkin and dominated this very strong competion,undefeated until the 2nd last round,then lost last 2 h & a games,2nd semi,won premil and lost GF by around 5 goals.
Monty have not won a flag since 1977 and we hope Mellington canjh deliver the goods.

"Cougar" Mellington

I have a story for you from about 10 years ago when I was at the Whitten oval...

I have another: Back in about 1990 my sister was having a house-warming where Luppo (Dean Lupson) and his PIC (Partner In Crime) Doc, were invited guests at the party. Someone made up a 'peace bowl' which was made up of anything in the liquor cabinet, orange juice and metho. A huge straw was placed in the concoction (which was made in a big glass vase no less) and handed around. Everyone took a little sip and was nearly throwing up until it got to Doc who just took the vase with both hands and took a big drink without the straw! Everyone just looked at him with amazement.

Years later, around 1994, I was a trainer with the Fitzroy reserves and was running water out to the famous Doc. I didn't think he'd remember me at all and when he drunk from the water bottle he turned around and told me 'not as good as the peace bowl is it?' I was flabbergasted at a) he knew who I was and b) he remembered drinking that thing!

I too was very impressed with Doc's skills from those Whitten Oval days champ! :thumbsu:

Anyone know what happened to Peter Bird -15 games for the Roys, 1995-96?
Small but super fast.

'fraid not, sorry.

Love that nickname, it brought back memories reading 'num num' again.

I had to go hire 'the party' on video so I could get the joke and boy did I laugh a lot at that nickname in 1996 from then on.

Got a good mate who's surname is Parrot and he cops it now.

Brad Davis is still playing with the Burnie dockers,Had a talk with him at the Fitzroy bowling club yesterday..Good Bloke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know how Rombo and Marty r going at The Flat?

I forgot to ask them on Saturday night and I had a few with them too! Even enough to reminisce about the time I smacked Rombo in the gob at the last wake and Marty came to my rescue. Rombo didn't even remember it, that's how drunk we all were (and I've had nightmares about it ever since!). :eek:

What a ripper bloke! Wish I had somebody like him teaching me PE rather than the nazi's at boarding school.

He took a great mark one day in 1993 that made us all sit up and think we had another Roosy on our hands. In fact that mark was taken over Roosy and was featured on a card based on marks of that year.

He went to Brisbane Lions as one of the "magic 8" with the likes of Chrissy Johnson, Brad Boyd, Jarrod Molloy et al and then got traded to the Swans and I think they then traded him or delisted him obviously to Collingwood where he didn't get a go. I believe injuries were the bane of his footy career and his best days unfortunately were his younger ones.

Don't have that photo anymore but I'm sure if you tried a google search you'd probably track something down somewhere. It was a screamer.

If you see him, call him "Shaggy" as that was his nickname at Fitzroy and he'll know you've been talking to somebody.

I believe Brett Chandler is the 2008 coach of Old Trinity in the ammos.

I swear I saw Jimmy Wynd running for the saints in the pre season - the Reservoir/Fitzroy link with Jimmy and Rossy must be pretty good.

I believe Brett Chandler is the 2008 coach of Old Trinity in the ammos.

I swear I saw Jimmy Wynd running for the saints in the pre season - the Reservoir/Fitzroy link with Jimmy and Rossy must be pretty good.

Yes Brett is coaching at OT.
Coincidentally his football involvement in 2007 was as a forward scout for the Saints.

Just found out that Dyson Hore-Lacey is now the President at Old Trinity!! OT has the old Roy Boy flavour about it.

My local newspaper says Darren Payne is coaching Waverley Blues in Division 3 Eastern Football League. I assume this is the same Darren Payne who played for Fitzroy.

Dean Lupson was coach of the Wodonga Raiders seniors for one year and was an absolute prick. Did not have a single clue.

Still in the area I beleive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back