Where to now?

I think Woosha would be great in a caretaker role for the rest of the year.

He knows the Walsh gameplan, knows Teague, was mates with Walsh, has dealt with tragedy and controversy, has stacks of experience and is a natural leader, would have worked with camporelli at Carlton. Even if it's just in a coaching director role... It makes sense for so many reasons.

After that it should be a competitive process, and the new coach has to have the opportunity to make their own mark.

He knows the Walsh gameplan, knows Teague, was mates with Walsh, has dealt with tragedy and controversy, has stacks of experience and is a natural leader, would have worked with camporelli at Carlton. Even if it's just in a coaching director role... It makes sense for so many reasons.

After that it should be a competitive process, and the new coach has to have the opportunity to make their own mark.
And spent time at the club earlier this year assessing the place.

A support role would make sense.

Whatever you might have heard, your understanding is inadequate. See some of the other posts regarding the complexities of mental issues and drug use.

Try working in the ED and see how many psychotic kids have been taking drugs (meth, ice mainly but even grass)
Your understanding is inadequate.

Id love that too but with his position at the Coaches Association not sure if he'd be allowed to coach at all this year? I have no idea. But it would be brilliant for Woosha to help out if he felt he could.

Id love that too but with his position at the Coaches Association not sure if he'd be allowed to coach at all this year? I have no idea. But it would be brilliant for Woosha to help out if he felt he could.
Surely he could be released on companionate/extraordinary grounds. Chairman is generally just a figure head anyway. I doubt anyone would object if Adelaide asked him. And I'm sure he would do it if asked.

Many years ago I was awoken to news of my sisters murder. It was a mass murder and also a stabbing. The inhumane details were far and above a "domestic dispute" murder. All I can advise is to steer clear of the details as best you can. I know it is hard but you'll be better off.
I have lost both my parents, close family & best friends. Nothing compares to a loved one being taken in a murder. You can eventually justify death when it happens "naturally". Murder just eats at your soul.
It was a de ja vu moment when my wife woke me this morning with the news of Walsh's murder. It is the worst way to loose someone.
Condolences to the family.

Many years ago I was awoken to news of my sisters murder. It was a mass murder and also a stabbing. The inhumane details were far and above a "domestic dispute" murder. All I can advise is to steer clear of the details as best you can. I know it is hard but you'll be better off.
I have lost both my parents, close family & best friends. Nothing compares to a loved one being taken in a murder. You can eventually justify death when it happens "naturally". Murder just eats at your soul.
It was a de ja vu moment when my wife woke me this morning with the news of Walsh's murder. It is the worst way to loose someone.
Condolences to the family.
s**t mate that is awful.

Hope it hasn't brought back to much pain for you.

I only mentioned it because in the following weeks the gruesome details are going to come to light. You really dont want to know. Try and avoid them as best you can.
Better to remember the man than the gory details of his death.

For those suggesting we get a new coach with a new plan right now, I think this is unrealistic. It will take longer than a month to find a coach and the players will be "playing for Phil" no matter who is coaching. Fair enough we're never going to have Phil 2.0 and I get that but changing the game plan this year might not be as easy as going "here's the new game plan and ideas". Any change introduction would need to be very respectful of Phil or the players would rightly rebel. Who ever comes in or steps up this year will be the new step dad and they'll need to be pretty careful with their authority.

If you choose to take mind-altering substances, you choose to take the consequences…unfortunately innocent people also suffer.
Very true , same with alcohol , the vast majority of kids DONT use ice/meth , Being old enough to have watched this illegal drugs thing from just about the start , imho the worst thing to do would be to go the easy on them route , ive been to Holland , Danemark and the UK where the've gone down this path , not a pretty sight ! . Some may say don't be judgemental , BS I say , that's what we pay the courts and pollies to do.

That's why I want Woosh to take over short term, and then Bassett.

He's not Walsh, but he's a similar type of person; extremely driven, very passionate, ruthless and uncompromising, but caring and committed... A deep thinker.... And a bit of a weirdo.

Woosh can come in and get us through this year; maintain what Phil started, but get us through this year, win or loss.

Bass seems to have a similar approach and understanding of the game to Walsh - I believe he could build on the foundations Walsh laid.

Goodwin no chance?

no chance. already contracted to Melbourne for 2016 as senior assistant and beyond that as senior coach.

IMO the club can only do one thing and that is appoint a caretaker from within the current coaching group for the rest of this year. The current coaching and playing group will be galvanized in their grief and their determination to continue Phil's legacy. Bringing in someone from outside just wouldn't be appropriate.

The club will then conduct a normal search for a replacement towards the end of the season, by which time the time dust will have settled a little and it will be possible to determine what the playing group needs going forward. Usually when a coach goes it is because he has lost the players; in this case the players bond with the former coach will be unbreakably strong and it's going to be a unique challenge to find someone to carry them forward.

Like Chapman said yesterday, there's no manual to follow, there's no precedent.

That's why I want Woosh to take over short term, and then Bassett.

He's not Walsh, but he's a similar type of person; extremely driven, very passionate, ruthless and uncompromising, but caring and committed... A deep thinker.... And a bit of a weirdo.

Woosh can come in and get us through this year; maintain what Phil started, but get us through this year, win or loss.

Bass seems to have a similar approach and understanding of the game to Walsh - I believe he could build on the foundations Walsh laid.

Personally I don't see the point of that happening as the season is now effectively a writeoff.

The focus for the club is going to be nursing the players psychologically through the rest of the year, I don't think the players are going to be in any sort of head space to be imprinted on by a new coach.

Last edited:
Personally I don't see the point of that happening as the season is now effectively a writeoff.

The focus for the club is going to be nursing the players psychologically through the rest of the year, I don't think the players will not going to be in any sort of head space to be imprinted on by a new coach.

I would prefer an ex crow to see out the season, Roo perhaps. Blight would be okay given his background but unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The current assistant coaches need to see out the season with the situation that has occurred, there is no other way. The whole AFC as chapman said need to stick together. The result of the season is actually not even important now! If the club can get over this emotionally for the remainder of the year, they then can appoint a new coach and hopefully everyone is ok to build for next year!

Time will heal this, it has with Dean Bailey and with Port and J Mac!

The way the club has dealt with this sort of thing in the past was simply "noble is expanding his responsibilities" and I hope we don't do that this time.

Coaches currently working for other clubs, most likely won't cross over mid-year, and our search needs to look everywhere.

Phil Walsh was spending all his waking time working, reports are that he was working 15 hours a day. That's 15 hours of work a day that needs to be done by someone else now and if Noble tries to do them, the jobs that he would be normally doing won't get the attention they deserve. The people that would normally take up the slack, including Noble, need to have their #1 priority be finding our coach for 2016.

The club needs to find someone for the rest of the year who can do as much of those 15hours a day as possible, would probably need to be someone who is not currently contracted by another AFL club.

The only 3 candidates I can think of are:

* Mark Bickley
* John Worsfold
* Brenton Sanderson

Back