Which AFL stars have local YVMDFL clubs produced?

Remove this Banner Ad

Monniehawk

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Monbulk, Upwey, Strathmore, St Alba
Upwey's Rory Sloane ripping it up with The Crows makes me think just how many top line players the Tigers have produced over the years.

Any chance of BF posters from each club giving a run-down of AFL players who came through their juniors over the years?
Just a smattering for a start maybe, but names like Monkhorst, Goodwin, Wirrpanda, Wandin, Firrito, Groenewegan, Shipp, Hardwick, Snell, etc. could see the League compile a pretty impressive list of local talent.
Might even try to make an all-time All Stars team out of the list.

That would bring on a bit of debate. :D

Ratten and Hardwick make at least two (current) AFL coaches. Not a bad effort so far.
Did Jack Dyer actually start his footy at YJ?

Upwey's Rory Sloane ripping it up with The Crows makes me think just how many top line players the Tigers have produced over the years.

Any chance of BF posters from each club giving a run-down of AFL players who came through their juniors over the years?
Just a smattering for a start maybe, but names like Monkhorst, Goodwin, Wirrpanda, Wandin, Firrito, Groenewegan, Shipp, Hardwick, Snell, etc. could see the League compile a pretty impressive list of local talent.
Might even try to make an all-time All Stars team out of the list.

That would bring on a bit of debate. :D

Did Goodwin play at Wandin before he played in the AFL?????

That rings a bell with me SG, I think he won a League B&F with Wandin in the mid 80s before he went into the AFL...
Yep. He came through their junior club and won the League senior B&F as a teenager, then took off to the big smoke.

We're starting to compile a few quality names, here. Maybe we can start putting together an All Stars side soon, if we get a few more.
I think the League should keep a record of our local AFL products as a permanent and continuing part of our history.
Why not applaud local kids who do well? And the clubs that produced them!
Even a 'reunion' dinner to kick it all off. Wouldn't that be a great night!

Yep. He came through their junior club and won the League senior B&F as a teenager, then took off to the big smoke.

We're starting to compile a few quality names, here. Maybe we can start putting together an All Stars side soon, if we get a few more.
I think the League should keep a record of our local AFL products as a permanent and continuing part of our history.

RucK stocks interesting
Good win,monkhorst,lobbe
Others at the moment Adams woori, Simpson emerald, bugg gembrook
Young bloke Warren at north from healesville, firrito, hargraves powelly
Wheeler warby, forward at lilydale now who was from Seville ?
Rowe, osiruk
Shipp,ratten

That team must be close now

I remember going to a Presidents/Secretaries meeting at the Lilydale International 3-4 years ago and was chatting to someone (name escapes me) and I was told that the venue was going to introduce a "Legends Bar" in honour of all the YV footballers who had gone onto AFL ranks. I don't know if that ever got off the ground to be honest but its not a bad idea..

Snell upwey firrito gem brook bugg gem brook
Hargraves powelly wheeler war by hard wick upwey
Simpson emerald ratten Carlton slone Adelaide
Lobe monbulk okeefe north ship feomantle
Adams woori wandin healesville wirrapunda powelly

Monkhorst woori
Good win wandin
Rowe woori

Int Warren healesvile
Fraser healesville
Shore Seville

There must 10 others at least

Sean Charles - Powelly - Melb.
Troy Simmonds - Wesburn - Melb, Rich.
Nathan O'Keefe - Seville - Nth.

MonnieHawk - I think J.Dyer moved to YJ as a kid and played Seniors in his very early teens with YJ before moving with his folks to "the big smoke"..

I also understand that Lobbe was at Monbulk and also Emerald ??? I don't know exactly how it worked and for how long and who rightfully claims him.

We have the same with Matthew Allan; Carlton and Essendon Ruckman, All Australian, 3rd in the 2000 Brownlow, Played in losing 99 GF against Nth. He was with our club from 9yo until 15yo, went to M'Bark for a year, then to Nth Rwd for 1 yr, then on Carltons list. We always claim him although we never get mentioned !!!

Didn't Gordon Collis (??) a 1960s Brownlow Medallist (??) come from Healesville ???

If we can include Jack Dyer, we can include Collis as well ?

Jeff Pitts at Upwey played at Collingwood ???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about Wayne Johnston - Carlton - Wandin - a handy type lol

I know Sth Belly aren't with us now but Andrew Williams went to West Coast and then Collingwood and was a good player.

Also Andy McKinnon went from Olinda to Carlton in the late 80s, played a handful of games and then did both knees. I think he ended up a dual B&F at Port Melbourne after that.

Do they have to of played a senior match or just made the playing lists?

Hedge was on Carltons list for a while.

Darren Crocker & Ryan Ferguson both from Belgrave and i'm sure there is more.

Josh Fraser was at Seville as a junior.

Warby had Sumner, Wheeler, Wayne Morris Sth Melb and a Hawthorn Premiership player Fisher.

O'shea from Port was Emerald and I believe Harper from North was at Monbulk as a kid.

Here's a link to every Carlton player recruited to play at least one senior game from the Eastern suburbs.

http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=From+Eastern+Metro,+Vic

I counted 11 from current YVMDFL clubs. This dates back to 1890's, well before the YVMDFL was formed. It includes every club that a recruit had played for on his way to the Blues, so Olinda is included on Matty Allan's resume.

That's 11 players just from the Blues. Not sure if other clubs have a website like this.

In the world according to the Finger, Nicky Winmar & Robby Ahmat (amazing 2011 recruit) are good local Warby blokes that went all the way to the big smoke? :rolleyes:

This has grown!
Rather proud of the list of great names coming and I think we have only just got the tip of the iceberg. Most mentioned are within current memory. Many came well before our time: i.e. Monbulk's Albert Hyde who was a Hawthorn and Victorian champion from 1925-35.
Here's a link to every Carlton player recruited to play at least one senior game from the Eastern suburbs.
http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=From+Eastern+Metro,+Vic
I counted 11 from current YVMDFL clubs. This dates back to 1890's, well before the YVMDFL was formed. It includes every club that a recruit had played for on his way to the Blues, so Olinda is included on Matty Allan's resume.
That's 11 players just from the Blues. Not sure if other clubs have a website like this.
Excellent link. Thanks, Hoddo.
i'd have to say Healesvilles produced the most decorated, that being a Brownlow Medallist
Gordon Collis
Hard to beat that one.
I remember going to a Presidents/Secretaries meeting at the Lilydale International 3-4 years ago and was chatting to someone (name escapes me) and I was told that the venue was going to introduce a "Legends Bar" in honour of all the YV footballers who had gone onto AFL ranks. I don't know if that ever got off the ground to be honest but its not a bad idea..
I agree TeeS! I'm also beginning to think that something needs to be done to honour those players AND the clubs that produced them. A big slice of our history goes with their achievements.
Ideas?
1. An honour board at the YVMDFL office
2. The naming of a bar (appropriate in a PC world?)
3. Formal function celebrating the local heroes (unveil the Honour Board and/or a presentation to the players?)
4. A plaque with a citation of each player. Copies to go to the club/s and the players.

RucK stocks interesting
Good win,monkhorst,lobbe
Others at the moment Adams woori, Simpson emerald, bugg gembrook
Young bloke Warren at north from healesville, firrito, hargraves powelly
Wheeler warby, forward at lilydale now who was from Seville ?
Rowe, osiruk
Shipp,ratten
That team must be close now
Probably still got a lot of names to add, yet! When we glean what we can, is anyone interested in getting together with say Derby and a couple of others to round up some idea? PM me.
What about Wayne Johnston - Carlton - Wandin - a handy type lol
I know Sth Belly aren't with us now but Andrew Williams went to West Coast and then Collingwood and was a good player.
Also Andy McKinnon went from Olinda to Carlton in the late 80s, played a handful of games and then did both knees. I think he ended up a dual B&F at Port Melbourne after that.
Do they have to of played a senior match or just made the playing lists?
Hedge was on Carltons list for a while.
Darren Crocker & Ryan Ferguson both from Belgrave and i'm sure there is more.
The criteria probably need to be sorted out, but I guess they should

• Have played at least 1 game at AFL/VFL level
  • Played with a club during a local competition (i.e. Evelyn FA, MDFA, Mountaineer FA, YVFA, YVMDFL, etc.) prior to moving on to VFL/AFL. In other words, the local club has prepared them for AFL.
That would take into account clubs that have moved on or dissolved, but the players must have played in one of the related local area's competitions before stepping up. It also covers the case where players moved to a neighbouring club/league before stepping up.
As with Lobbe - where both Emerald and Monbulk can be credited with his development and, likewise, Matthew Allen with Olinda.

It seems a lot of you have some good thoughts and maybe we can work something out and propose it to the League.
Could we get a couple of you to help knock this together? Derby?, TeeS? Anyone else?
Please PM me with anything you have and I'll get in touch with the Board to discuss any proposals and whether it is worthwhile.

Craig Davenport St Kilda & Carl was at Seville. Jason Snell Geelong was Upwey.

Was Allan Davis from Emerald or moved there after VFL?

Can we add Shane Heal he played in a Under 17 flag at Yarra Junction.

Stan Haag, WY-Fitzroy,
Craig Davenport St Kilda & Carl was at Seville. Jason Snell Geelong was Upwey.
Was Allan Davis from Emerald or moved there after VFL?
Can we add Shane Heal he played in a Under 17 flag at Yarra Junction.
More good gets!
Can someone help out on Alan Davis?
If Shane played, then he is in!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back