Which five world athletes would make the best transition into the AFL?

I would have thought a few of the Kookaburra hockey players would give it a bloody good shake.
Endurance, Pace, Courage and Vision all required.

Not everyone has to be 203cm, 110kg+ Behemoth to make the transition to AFL.
Whilst I'm not convinced of this, what I am certain of is that that Bryce Gibbs could successfully make the transition to mens hockey and be elite.

Yep, that's the one, the one where he is nothing special when compared to the 17 yo kids at AFL draft camp.

I didn't say he wasn't a brilliant player

There was some speculation on whether he would have made it as an NFL player, this doesn't equate to "pro level at two sports"

I didn't say he wouldn't make it, on the contrary, I nominated him as one of my 5, as he is a great athlete in his sport and has many of the tools necessary to make the transition, I just laugh at the fan boi's that say he would come in and dominate. Fact is, he might become a very good player, he might also be a flop.

See above
You're confusing me for a "fan boi"
Im simply stating that Lebrons athleticism is far superior to anyone in the AFL.
Whether he could make the transition is unknown, but id say at his superior size and athleticism it would be much easier than for many others.

A.B de Villiers, the South African cricketer, represented either national or provincial teams in about 6 or 7 different sports as a junior, and a good athlete to boot. He's a natural for sport in general.

lebron would dominate the ruck... wouldn't even need him to be able to kick. he would tap it perfectly down to a midfielder every single time. without doubt.
I'd love to see a "big time"NBA player have a go at AFL.
I really think the physicality would do most of them in.
That's not being nasty, just think they would be shocked by the demands, especially aerobically.

I'd love to see a "big time"NBA player have a go at AFL.
I really think the physicality would do most of them in.
That's not being nasty, just think they would be shocked by the demands, especially aerobically.

They'd definitely have AFL players beat when it comes to speed and jumping but when it comes to endurance, skills and awareness, they'd definitely fail.

Although I do think a lot of AFL fans overestimate how fast, strong, etc. AFL players actually are. The only category in which they're really 'elite' in comparison to other sports is endurance.

They'd definitely have AFL players beat when it comes to speed and jumping but when it comes to endurance, skills and awareness, they'd definitely fail.

Although I do think a lot of AFL fans overestimate how fast, strong, etc. AFL players actually are. The only category in which they're really 'elite' in comparison to other sports is endurance.
Agree.
Endurance ontop of all the other required attributes, which in my mind makes even those harder to compare.

Don't most AFL teams have a "no dickheads" policy?

I don't think the Roosters could rate the guy any higher, when he left Canterbury he created a little angst amongst the supporter base though. As far as professionalism off-field goes he'd be one of the the best in the NRL.

I think you're right to an extent. Of the AFL players I've come across, I've always been surprised at how lean (and to some extent small) the majority are, with the exception of Key Position and Ruckmen. I guess there is always exceptions. To every rule.

Also on the LeBron/NBA player endurance argument it's hard to tell, as it's hard to find stats to compare. One article I did find on the Herald Sun indicated that Brett Deledio had a VO2 max of 60(ml/kg/min or whatever the units are...)

Haven't found any specifics for NBA although some articles have shown basketball being anywhere between 40-60.... Would be good if someone could find hard stats on this.

I have no idea really, would still think that an NBA player would definitely have the capacity to cope, with the appropriate training.

5. Chuck Norris (because he's Chuck Norris)

We would have the drop punt

The torpedo

The banana

And the roundhouse where chuck Norris - at full back - kicking in after a behind would roundhouse the ball - mostly straight through the middle at the other end - but sometimes he'd miss and break a goalpost in half

If you could take any athlete from any sport in the world, which five would you take and why? Now obviously a lot of people are going to take Basketball players so I'm going to limit it to three players from each sport. Here are my five:

1. LeBron James - Basketball (203cms 113kgs)
2. Lleyton Hewitt - Tennis (180cms 77kgs)
3. Patrick Mills - Basketball (183cms 85kgs)
4. Usain Bolt - Athletics (195cms 94kgs)
5. Lionel Messi - Soccer (169cms 67kgs)

Justification: LeBron James is obviously a genetic freak and I feel like he would easily become the best ruckman in the AFL if he made the transition. Lleyton Hewitt has a huge motor and grew up playing Aussie rules. Patrick Mills falls into a similar category as Hewitt, he grew up playing Aussie rules and was apparently very talented. Usain Bolt is obviously the quickest runner in the world but his height and lean build would really help him make the transition in my opinion. Lionel Messi is clearly very talented with a ball at his feet and I think he would become a really good small forward if he made the transition.

Now it's your turn...

Not Messi, guy is having the worst year of his career for one. If we stick to soccer then Ronaldo would be a better fit, tall, quick, and just a prodigy of the game.

I would definitely love to see LeBron and Bolt play in the AFL.

LeBron among with a lot other basketballers could be decent players. There seems to be a connection between Aussie Rules and Basketball, considering that quite a lot of AFL players did play basketball when they were younger. Usain Bolt, apparently is good at soccer and I've seen him shoot hoops. Would love to see him have a go at Aussie Rules.

I also reckon Ronaldo has a much better body than Messi for AFL.

Lebron wouldn't be half as good as some think.
Endurance would not be there for starters. Same goes with Bolt.
Their bodies are not built for that kind of slog. Obv would be different if we're poaching them as teenagers.

I'd be more inclined to back someone like Joakim Noah or a young Pau Gasol as a ruck/forward
Steve Nash and Jason Kidd both have backgrounds in soccer and i'd say would've made decent footy players in their time too.

I always say this to my old man (we're both Storm members) and he agrees completely. The bloke would tear it up on a wing/HFF.
All he needs to do is perfect the bounce and he's set!

Back