Which Geelong potato did you think would be a star?

Remove this Banner Ad

David Johnson was no potato
Would certainly agree. Didn't play all that much footy for us considering how good I thought he was though (missed all GFs 07-09 I believe) and was gone before turning 28. Will sound crazy but I preferred him to Josh Hunt.

Who was that promising midfielder we had that broke his leg in a final in ‘09 and left to Ess for more money?

I though he would be a very good player, ended up being very ordinary without the superstars around him.
This was probably answered - Matthew Egan - I was devo for him

Edit:
Prismall, but I think it was '08 and he did a knee. Never the same again. Did the knee again a few and that was all she wrote.

He bloody flew at Geelong in late '08, though.

Last edited:

You wouldn't want it.
Reminiscent of Peter Johnston, a remarkable mark with an equally remarkable kick for goal- regularly missed from 10m out!
Sounds like most of the present day Cats players :rolleyes:

(I'm looking at you Tomahawk + you too Dangerfield)

So many great memories brought back by this thread. I would agree with nearly all names.

Ryan Gamble and Kane Tenace are my standouts.

I also thought we'd get something great out of Marcus Drum. Instead his eye fell out and he had about 25 injuries.
Oh yes! Marcus Drum! That's an ideal choice. Left Freo + came to Geelong.
"Drum move to Geelong for the Cats’ third round selection (pick 49)" 2009
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2009-10-09/drum-traded-to-geelong

"But although he was on Fremantle's list for four years and Geelong's for two, a multitude of injuries, including ankles, hamstrings, a smashed nose and a detached retina, meant he played just 22 games."
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-16/new-beat-for-battered-drum-

Didn't miss a match in 99. Even racked up 35-odd touches in one particular game and kicked 4 goals in another if my memory serves me right. Wasn't great at the Swans, though, and barely featured in our improved 2000 side. One of those players who struggled in decent teams.
I had a huge crush on Simon Arnott, wasn't a favourite player, but he was hot! lol He was delisted in 2000, after a huge first year in 1999. Leader in disposals in 1999 with 439 touches!
Gossip was that he fell out of favour with the PTB because of romantic indiscretions! <-- what is it at Geelong? Players doing the horizontal chacha with others' WAGS? :eek: or should that be :rolleyes:

We've been there before lol

Good to see the traditions continuing! :p

Mitchell White anyone?

"An All-Australian half forward in 1996, White kicked 103 goals in 151 games for the Eagles, swinging between defence and attack.

But by the time he reached Geelong in 2001 his legs were as flexible as the Tin Man, and nobody at Kardinia Park had an oil can.

There were glimpses of form – like his 3 goals, 3 behinds from 18 disposals against Collingwood mid-2001 – but Cats fans will mostly remember him as being a part of the 2002 VFL premiership team that included names like Gary Ablett, Steve Johnson, Paul Chapman and Jimmy Bartel."
https://thehickeystand.com/2017/05/...the-past-20-years-that-didnt-really-work-out/

Last edited:
What happened to him? Really good mark but didn't play finals in 1997 and didn't do much after that.
Derek Hall was another player like Mitchell White. Although Hall had an utterly stonking year in 1996, played all but one game, most marks 144, 334 disposals + 24 marks. He was supposed to be our third FF next to GAS + Billy. He seems to have just disappeared. Moved to country Victoria + then back to WA.

Has anyone claimed Cameron "The Next Wayne Carey*" Roberts
1roberts.jpg

*according to Phil Walsh
He came to Geelong in the Breuer trade to Port. Another kid who just couldn't make it at AFL level, but was huge when he returned to the SA country.

I thought Ruggles was going to be OK, too. I know he had some rough times this year, but I was surprised to hear that he got delisted.
Me too! Had high hopes for Ruggles + am still disappointed he has gone. Didn't seem to come good from his injury. Thought he had some Max Rooke grunt to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a huge crush on Simon Arnott, wasn't a favourite player, but he was hot! lol He was delisted in 2000, after a huge first year in 1999. Leader in disposals in 1999 with 439 touches!
Gossip was that he fell out of favour with the PTB because of romantic indiscretions! <-- what is it at Geelong? Players doing the horizontal chacha with others' WAGS? :eek: or should that be :rolleyes:

We've been there before lol

Good to see the traditions continuing! :p

Wasn’t “biscuits” Arnott one of four we traded in at the end of 1998? The other three being Bamford and Tristian Lynch from Brisbane and Jason Mooney from Sydney? I remember Mooney, Arnott and Bamford all having an impact in the come from behind win against North Melbourne in round 1 of the 1999 season. From memory we won the first 5 games and were premiership favourites before dropping the next 9! Unfortunately none of the 4 went on to achieve great heights with us but I imagine Jason had some impact in acquiring his brother to join us from north at the end of 1999 and I think that worked out pretty well in the end!

Wasn’t “biscuits” Arnott one of four we traded in at the end of 1998? The other three being Bamford and Tristian Lynch from Brisbane and Jason Mooney from Sydney? I remember Mooney, Arnott and Bamford all having an impact in the come from behind win against North Melbourne in round 1 of the 1999 season. From memory we won the first 5 games and were premiership favourites before dropping the next 9! Unfortunately none of the 4 went on to achieve great heights with us but I imagine Jason had some impact in acquiring his brother to join us from north at the end of 1999 and I think that worked out pretty well in the end!

Here you go Andy:

Some history + stats for those who have forgotten (like me):

"Arnott was a midfielder and made his league debut in 1995 with Sydney. Arnott decided to cross to Geelong. In 1999, his first season with Geelong, he managed to play every game of the home and away season but a drop in form in 2000 saw him delisted."
Wikipedia

Jason Mooney
"In the 1998 AFL Draft he was traded to Geelong and kicked 33 goals in his debut season, finishing just one goal short of topping their goalkicking that year. His tally included a career best bag of five against Essendon in Round 11. His career was plagued by knee injuries and it ended his AFL career in 2001."
Wikipedia

Scott Bamford
"At the end of the 1998 AFL season, he was traded to Geelong where he played in the 1999 AFL season, scoring 10 goals in 13 games for the cats. He was delisted at the end of the season."

"Round 1, 1999, MCG:
Geelong 22.9 (141) def North Melbourne 21.9 (135)
The Cats and Roos met in the opening game of the 1999 home and away season, and they produced a brilliant contest. Led by Wayne Carey, Anthony Stevens and John Blakey, North controlled the first half, racing to a 40-point lead at the long break. Geelong climbed off the canvas in the third quarter, but still trailed by 29 points at the last change. However, the Cats ran riot in the final term, kicking eight goals to two and snatching a remarkable six-point win. Garry Hocking and Darren Milburn both finished with 28 disposals and a goal, while David Mensch booted four majors. Simon Arnott and Jason Mooney chipped in with three each. It was a great start to the final year of Gary Ayres' stint as senior coach."
Cats Website

Geelong was 40 points down at Half-Time, but went on to win the game!

1999 Rd1 - North Melbourne.png !

Mitchell White anyone?

"An All-Australian half forward in 1996, White kicked 103 goals in 151 games for the Eagles, swinging between defence and attack.

But by the time he reached Geelong in 2001 his legs were as flexible as the Tin Man, and nobody at Kardinia Park had an oil can.

There were glimpses of form – like his 3 goals, 3 behinds from 18 disposals against Collingwood mid-2001 – but Cats fans will mostly remember him as being a part of the 2002 VFL premiership team that included names like Gary Ablett, Steve Johnson, Paul Chapman and Jimmy Bartel."
https://thehickeystand.com/2017/05/...the-past-20-years-that-didnt-really-work-out/
He was the GOAT when I was playing AFL games on PS2 age 6..

iameviljez - this is such a terrific thread + what a fantastic idea to remember + discuss those players, who had the potential, but failed to achieve the success many supporters expected!

Found these pix of some of the players mentioned in this thread, which I thought sparking by the visual, might bring back more memories -

Let's begin with David the Cat 's spud

1haynes.jpg

David Haynes - free kick?

Next we have Roadie 's Matthew Spencer with 2 Games - 0 Goals, who had to compete with Matthew Egan, Tom Harley + Matthew Scarlett for key defensive roles.

1spencer.jpg

Henry Playfair 52 games, 29 goals, was the player I thought would be Geelong's Buddy! Pick 41 in a draft that nabbed Jimmy Bartel, Gary Ablett, Steve Johnson + James Kelly. Playfair didn't recover from a broken jaw, losing confidence saw his form deteriorate.

2001 Draft - Ablett-Bartel-Johnson-Kelly.jpg

Doing three players at a time for those posters who can't concentrate for more than 10 seconds + reply with TLDR lol

How did we get so many spuds from WCE? It became a tradition!

Brett Spinks - 19 games, 35 goals
Mitchell White - 23 games, 21 goals
Derek Hall - 74 games, 74 goals
David Haynes - 19 games, 15 goals

Finally, Geelong got to send WCE a dud FF in Nathan Vardy - 25 games, 25 goals - hard to believe he only played 25 games in all those years.

How did we get so many spuds from WCE? It became a tradition!

Brett Spinks - 19 games, 35 goals
Mitchell White - 23 games, 21 goals
Derek Hall - 74 games, 74 goals
David Haynes - 19 games, 15 goals

Finally, Geelong got to send WCE a dud FF in Nathan Vardy - 25 games, 25 goals - hard to believe he only played 25 games in all those years.

Spinks is very interesting to look at it hindsight. That output is from one year which is all he played at Geelong. By comparison, it's one goal more than Nathan Ablett kicked as the second key forward in 2007, and one less than Lonergan in the same role in 2008.

As maligned as he was, his output was actually perfectly acceptable if not pretty good.

Spinks is very interesting to look at it hindsight. That output is from one year which is all he played at Geelong. By comparison, it's one goal more than Nathan Ablett kicked as the second key forward in 2007, and one less than Lonergan in the same role in 2008.

As maligned as he was, his output was actually perfectly acceptable if not pretty good.
Well firstly, hello Partridge - hope you are well?

Secondly, just adore your avatar!

Yes, I agree that Spinks is an interesting one because he started with a bang at Geelong.

Spinks played 21 games 14 goals at WCE from 1994 to 1997, was traded to Geelong in 1998.

Spinks was another who had to stop playing due to injury.

Nathan Ablett - 32 games, 46 goals

Lonergan 2008 kicked 36 goals

Jason Mooney! After the big hit he put on kangas nutta marty pike in that opening game v NM, I thought we would get the better of him than what the swans did.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ha I think Roberts turned out to be a handy country footballer after his afl dream finished in good league's beit SA NT & vic country

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Played SANFL for a while before he suffered one of the nastiest broken legs you'd ever have the misfortune to see.

On basis of potential to output, Steven (Stephen?) Reynoldson. Showed what he was capable of for half a game (a final against Collingwood, early 80s I think) and spudded in all other games.

Jared Jansen is my modern day nominee.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back