Which side is closer to a premiership - Carlton or Essendon?

Which club is closer to a flag - Carlton or Essendon?

• Carlton

Votes: 153 47.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 75 23.4%
  • Neither in next 10 ywars

Votes: 92 28.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking through Essendon's list they're doing a lot right.

In 2 years time they won't have lost much. Maybe Shiel who's only ok and older guys who aren't contributing much at the moment (Heppell, Phillips, AMT, Stewart).

But how much better can Wright, Redman, McGrath, Zerk-Thatcher, Draper, Ridley, Caldwell, Jones, Martin, Durham, Cox, Perkins and D'Ambrosio, Hobbs and Davey be? If those guys can keep improving and they can add a good key defender via trade or free agency they should be a very good side.

And all the while, the inner circle continue to have each other’s back’s.
Dodoro promoted to the executive.
Sheedy promoted to immortal.
Madden and Wellman running another internal review.
The old coterie man Brasher giving Harvey to the liniment sniffer’s.
Then there’s the efc media mafia, Watson, Sarah Jones etc continuously banging the drum … it’s bloody beautiful to watch 👍
You want to know what's funnier?

Every team in the competition can win a flag in the next 10 years. Ridiculous thing to say.
Yup, all it really takes is a really good run with injuries and hitting form at the right time (Melbourne 21, Geelong 22) and having a mix of some young talent and some older heads to lead the way.

Looking through Essendon's list they're doing a lot right.

In 2 years time they won't have lost much. Maybe Shiel who's only ok and older guys who aren't contributing much at the moment (Heppell, Phillips, AMT, Stewart).

But how much better can Wright, Redman, McGrath, Zerk-Thatcher, Draper, Ridley, Caldwell, Jones, Martin, Durham, Cox, Perkins and D'Ambrosio, Hobbs and Davey be? If those guys can keep improving and they can add a good key defender via trade or free agency they should be a very good side.
Of the list of players you listed, I'd say that Wright has hit close to his ceiling as a 60 goal a year FF. McGrath is closing in on his ceiling as one of, if not the best small defender in the comp (I'm not talk about a stat paddling runner like Sinclair, Lloyd or Saad/Docherty)

The others could really be anything. Ridley maybe the next cab of the rank from your list as an almost A - grade intercept defender, with the right structure around him, he could be elite.

I still maintain neither of us are anywhere near it.
We will never go anywhere until the fraudster Dodoro is punted from the club
Getttng rid of Dodoro might actually be a good move.

I reckon Carlton have turned the corner off-field since they got rid of Silvagni. They'll need a bit of time to right the ship, but there's a certain clarity to what they're doing now. You couldn't have said that before.

Guys like Hollands, Cowan and Motop fill list needs, and none were out of the blue for their draft range. I also like that they are bringing in guys like Acres who don't cost a lot and fit in nicely to the best 23. Sure beats paying 1m for Jack Martin.

It's light years away from what was happening previously. 2019 was the stuff of nightmares.

oh, and Voss... but he won't be there long. The next coach will have a better time of it.

Right now it’s Essendon. But flags are hard to win, Essendon might peak at runners-up behind a dynasty team in the next 2-3 seasons with the Blues saluting in a more even comp shortly after that.

Essendon this year should sneak into the final 8, mostly from the easy draw.
In saying that, we're definitely a team building up strength and played competitive in most games this year.
Our younger players are getting more game time. Also for the first time in a long time we have some talented backup players to fallback on in areas.

Carlton to me look like an unbalanced side (at this time). Either they aren't playing to their strengths often, or they are relying on too much on too few (coaching or too few players with ability). They're missing goals, but then a lot of those scoring shots aren't from easy angles.
I don't see the next gen Carlton talent showing much either.

So for me it's Essendon.

That question is like asking which of these two are closer to winning Miss Universe. I mean, one is going to be closer than the other but neither have a chance in hell.

IMG_9980.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geewizz ... who's better, Cream or Skyhooks?

I was just enjoying the fact that the only Carlton thread on the 1st page of the main board was about who has the most supporters between Blues and Tigers. A topic I couldn't give a s**t about.
Now there's like 12 Carlton threads on the first page and they aren't all getting bumped by Carlton supporters.

Awkward Kid GIF

I was just enjoying the fact that the only Carlton thread on the 1st page of the main board was about who has the most supporters between Blues and Tigers. A topic I couldn't give a s**t about.
Now there's like 12 Carlton threads on the first page and they aren't all getting bumped by Carlton supporters.
Carlton's greatest get in recent times has been Brian Cook.

Essendon this year should sneak into the final 8, mostly from the easy draw.
In saying that, we're definitely a team building up strength and played competitive in most games this year.
Our younger players are getting more game time. Also for the first time in a long time we have some talented backup players to fallback on in areas.

Carlton to me look like an unbalanced side (at this time). Either they aren't playing to their strengths often, or they are relying on too much on too few (coaching or too few players with ability). They're missing goals, but then a lot of those scoring shots aren't from easy angles.
I don't see the next gen Carlton talent showing much either.

So for me it's Essendon.
How about now?
Carlton are meant to be in a premiership window while Essendon are meant to be a middle of the road side, yet Essendon are higher on the ladder.

Having said that, Essendon would want to improve their precentage - although they get to play North next week which will be their best chance of a percentage boosting game.

Back