Which would be preferable?

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt opinions on this board are very divided, tempers are fraught and doom and gloom amongst us is at an all time high. So with this sort of "mindset" I have been wondering which of the following two scenarios we would prefer for the remainder of the season.

The first option is that we at last achieve some consistency and win all of our remaining home and away games but then lose our only final, interstate against Port or Freo.

The alternative is we win three of the last five but drop games against GWS and Melbourne, scrape into the 8 then win our first and second finals, bowing out in a close preliminary final against Hawthorn or Sydney.

No doubt opinions on this board are very divided, tempers are fraught and doom and gloom amongst us is at an all time high. So with this sort of "mindset" I have been wondering which of the following two scenarios we would prefer for the remainder of the season.

The first option is that we at last achieve some consistency and win all of our remaining home and away games but then lose our only final, interstate against Port or Freo.

The alternative is we win three of the last five but drop games against GWS and Melbourne, scrape into the 8 then win our first and second finals, bowing out in a close preliminary final against Hawthorn or Sydney.

First option- I never want to lose to the GoDees again.

Anyone who would choose the first option is kidding themselves. The only thing we can hope to salvage out of this season is a decent finals experience

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

option 2 easily. The experience of getting so close to a grand final would hopefully spur this group on and leave a burning desire for next season to get consistent.

You made the choice a bit easy Horace.

2nd option easily the most palatable but what if we changed option 2 to:

Winning only 3 of the remaining 5, then a shitty / gritty win first final followed by a 70+ pt pantsing by whoever in weeks 2 of finals?

Hmmmmmm

If I imagine myself looking back on season 2014 over the summer holidays, then 2. If I imagine actually living through losing to Melbourne and GWS in the same month, can't say I fancy it.

Seriously, there's nothing I want to see more than a finals win or two. If we came 8th and won even one, that would mean we'd beaten a pretty well-performed side, and it would be pretty exciting.

Plus making the finals with two bad losses would probably imply we beat Geelong and Adelaide, so that would be nice.

#2, for the obvious reason that it's a better finish to the season; I'd much prefer to, essentially, "finish top four", and narrowly miss a grand final, than to drop an elimination final, however nice our finish to the home and away season is. Losses against GWS, and particularly Melbourne, would be hard to bear, but at the end of the day losing a PF is better than losing an EF.

#2. Would be nice, but would be better to go all the way
( I am an optimist ) as hard as this year has been, it's still better then last season, but I will underline our expectations of the team so far has not been met.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Option 1. Option 2 is too risky. This season has shown that anything can happen. It's compulsory that we win all our next games. The boys should play consistent footy in the finals knowing that if they didn't put in the crap efforts against bottom teams, they could have had a 2nd chance. I don't want 2012 again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back