Oppo Camp Who’s your team

As per thread title - Which Team Would You Like to Win The Flag?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their home ground isn't the G. They barely ever play there. Against Hawthorn it was an away match as the G IS Hawthorns home ground.

If you are being technical, the GF Vs Sydney was a marginal home match.
I'm talking about the stress of repeated interstate travel in finals.. Something we have not been able to do apart from the GABBA covid prelim.

GWS have won away finals Vs Sydney (twice), Brisbane, Collingwood and St Kilda in their short history. I daresay no club has as many away finals wins in the same period.

GWS have won away finals Vs Sydney (twice), Brisbane, Collingwood and St Kilda in their short history. I daresay no club has as many away finals wins in the same period.
On your description, how dare you omit our team??
EVERY final we have won is "away"

I'm talking about the stress of repeated interstate travel in finals.. Something we have not been able to do apart from the GABBA covid prelim.
I think this factor is overrated when talking about the interstate clubs that travel often. Usually what happens is a side on such a run would simply run into a better team as they are starting underdogs every match.

If you are the home side you are the higher ranked one and have the support on your side too. But I don't think the actual travel is the point of difference.

I think this factor is overrated when talking about the interstate clubs that travel often. Usually what happens is a side on such a run would simply run into a better team as they are starting underdogs every match.

If you are the home side you are the higher ranked one and have the support on your side too. But I don't think the actual travel is the point of difference.
Sorry to disagree here. Travel in every way is a big factor. Credit to teams that conquered it- WCE , Lions in the past, but it is a real issue.

On your description, how dare you omit our team??
EVERY final we have won is "away"
Like I said, MCG finals against non MCG tenants (especially interstate) I would consider "marginal" home finals. If you are being pendantic then neutral but not "away". We play the G more than Marvel tenants like Bulldogs for instance.

2007: Port
2009: Bulldogs, St Kilda (Marvel tenants)
2011: West Coast
2022: Brisbane, Sydney

No Geelong flag won with every final on an oppositions home ground.

Like I said, MCG finals against non MCG tenants (especially interstate) I would consider "marginal" home finals. If you are being pendantic then neutral but not "away". We play the G more than Marvel tenants like Bulldogs for instance.

2007: Port
2009: Bulldogs, St Kilda (Marvel tenants)
2011: West Coast
2022: Brisbane, Sydney

No Geelong flag won with every final on an oppositions home ground.
You know what I mean, I know what you mean, will be interesting next week for sure.
This game is hot, and the loser will be very hard to beat at their home, but we won't go there again.
If GWS is good enough, great luck to them.
And we get to hear that song again, and marvel at Toby

Sorry to disagree here. Travel in every way is a big factor. Credit to teams that conquered it- WCE , Lions in the past, but it is a real issue.
Richmond 2020 say hello.

Giants 2019 went Sydney to Brisbane to Melbourne for 2 weeks.

Bulldogs 2016 travelled every week (Perth to Melbourne to Sydney to Melbourne).

Hawthorn in 2015 went from Perth to Melbourne, then Perth and Melbourne again.

Adelaide 1998 went from Melbourne to Sydney then back to Melbourne for 2 weeks.

A few sides have been road warriors during finals before.

Richmond 2020 say hello.

Giants 2019 went Sydney to Brisbane to Melbourne for 2 weeks.

Bulldogs 2016 travelled every week (Perth to Melbourne to Sydney to Melbourne).

Hawthorn in 2015 went from Perth to Melbourne, then Perth and Melbourne again.

Adelaide 1998 went from Melbourne to Sydney then back to Melbourne for 2 weeks.

A few sides have been road warriors during finals before.
Yes, but NOT EVERY week.

You know what I mean, I know what you mean, will be interesting next week for sure.
This game is hot, and the loser will be very hard to beat at their home, but we won't go there again.
If GWS is good enough, great luck to them.
And we get to hear that song again, and marvel at Toby
For the record I'm not tipping GWS next week. I just don't rule things out easily. It's a pretty even competition these days.

For the record I'm not tipping GWS next week. I just don't rule things out easily. It's a pretty even competition these days.
Fair enough, but you did start the discussion saying they were on their way to a premiership.

Yes, but NOT EVERY week.
They have the week off before finals.

Why is:

-starting in Melbourne after a fortnights rest, then going Brisbane, then finishing in Melbourne for 2 weeks

More difficult than:

-Crows: no pre finals bye. Going to Melbourne, Sydney, then Melbourne for 2 weeks

Or:

-Hawks: A double Perth to Melbourne road trip after no rest.

Or:

-Tigers: Head to Brisbane, go to Gold Coast, then Adelaide and then back to Brisbane.

GWS are yet to prove they are in those sides leagues but those tricky travel scenarios didn't stop those sides achieving what they did. They just had to be good enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They have the week off before finals.

Why is:

-starting in Melbourne after a fortnights rest, then going Brisbane, then finishing in Melbourne for 2 weeks

More difficult than:

-Crows: no pre finals bye. Going to Melbourne, Sydney, then Melbourne for 2 weeks

Or:

-Hawks: A double Perth to Melbourne road trip after no rest.

Or:

-Tigers: Head to Brisbane, go to Gold Coast, then Adelaide and then back to Brisbane.

GWS are yet to prove they are in those sides leagues but those tricky travel scenarios didn't stop those sides achieving what they did. They just had to be good enough.
Persuasive.
Did Crows not have any home final ?
Hawks had 2 that year.

Persuasive.
Did Crows not have any home final ?
Hawks had 2 that year.
I think Hawks were impressive because no Victorian team have done the double Perth trip (which Victorian sides struggle next week, generally) for finals before. No bye before they started too.

No home finals for Crows that year.

Sydney in 2005 had just one semi final at home sandwiched between a trip to Perth and 2 Melbourne games, so still pretty respectable.

Likewise Brisbane in 2003. MCG, Gabba, Sydney, MCG. Travelling state every week with just a home semi final, then beating an MCG tenant on GF day.

I think Hawks were impressive because no Victorian team have done the double Perth trip (which Victorian sides struggle next week, generally) for finals before. No bye before they started too.

No home finals for Crows that year.

Sydney in 2005 had just one semi final at home sandwiched between a trip to Perth and 2 Melbourne games, so still pretty respectable.

Likewise Brisbane in 2003. MCG, Gabba, Sydney, MCG. Travelling state every week with just a home semi final, then beating an MCG tenant on GF day.
Ok, there is precedence- Crows.
I mentioned Lions already.
Also highly rate the Hawks in that GF. We all thought/hoped they were done after losing to WCE away, but to win the way they did was simply stunning.
Is GWS at that level?
Time will tell.
I don't think Demons are out of it yet, but sort of hope they go out next week.

I think I am with the Giants.
Go the confected team.
Don’t ask me why. Maybe cos they haven’t been around long enough for me to dislike..?
I do like the port midfield. Would be nice to have one of them in the hoops.

Ok, there is precedence- Crows.
I mentioned Lions already.
Also highly rate the Hawks in that GF. We all thought/hoped they were done after losing to WCE away, but to win the way they did was simply stunning.
Is GWS at that level?
Time will tell.
I don't think Demons are out of it yet, but sort of hope they go out next week.
I don't think they are at level but they're an interesting underdog to follow. I know, I know - a golden stack of draft picks to set them up - but at least they've dealt with many many stars leaving and a trip back down to the bottom end of the ladder.

They've gone from a flarey side who got caught out when things got tough, to a plucky and even somewhat ruthless outfit. They have an identity now and have always done so more than Gold Coast.

I really can't see them getting past Collingwood at the G again but next week Vs Port who knows: one last upset remaining?

Carlton because of Vossy. Loved him as a opposition supporter. And Tommy Lonergan and Cooky being there, hope they do it.
I'd even like to see the pies or dee's (if they smarten up in a hurry) to W it.
Deep down hope Coll get there and lose with Maynard sitting in the stands watching on...
I hate Port (coming from South Australia and following Sturt in the sanfl, you do not follow Port) respect the history of the Port Magpies but that's as far as it gets.
I hate Brisbane! The cockiness they have shown especially this group before they have even won a flag, makes me want to spew up!
That's why it's the blues, pies, dee's and throw in the giant's too.

Reckon brissy deserve to win one- they hav e done the hard yards and worked on their deficiencies- good luck to them. Don’t mind if the pies win or even gws.
And a no thanks to Carlton for me.

Surely it can’t just be me that sees the irony in the whole ‘plastic franchise’ thing with GWS when almost as a rule they play with more inherent spirit than nearly any club in the comp?

Every club was in its infancy at some stage.

I think it's the fact that very few of the other infants were fed with the same silver spoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back