Oppo Camp Who’s your team

As per thread title - Which Team Would You Like to Win The Flag?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see Carlton as favourites. They aren't even in the top 4 for starters. But to state that there are no quality teams just among Collingwood, Port, Brisbane, or Melbourne - let alone the entire top 8 - doesn't seem to me to be accurate.

Stating that does not equate to anti-Geelong bias either.
You can be a quality team without being a truly great side. My point is I don't see the league as equal, I see it as nobody being that good.

As a footy purist it's upsetting, because no matter who wins it this year, nobody's done anything groundbreaking, changed the game, abnormally dominant year etc.

For example, I'd argue our 2017 side was miles off a flag. Holes everywhere, and yet they finished second on the ladder, only missing first by percentage.

It's just a weak era of footy. I'm on record last year during our winning streak saying we look like a damn good side, but the competition is pretty weak.

Melbourne are the only team in this year's contenders who can go down as a great side in history. That'll be 2 flags in 3 years, with a group young enough to go again.

In 20 years nobody will remember the competitors, they'll just see 2 in 3 and think "Hey, they must have been pretty great".

Port will have an era IMO somewhere in the next decade with JHF, Butters & Rozee, but they're a while off that still. That group has the potential to be Cousins, Judd & Kerr mk II.

Collingwood are full of spare parts and duct tape, while Brisbane have been around the mark, but proven they don't quite have what it takes.

Very reminiscent of Geelong over the last decade, but we were at least coming off a dynasty.

Quality rises to the top in September. By the end of the GF, we'll all be saying how obvious it was that this team was the best in 23???
Hopefully it turns out to be Collingwood.
I don't want the flag team to be one that we've beaten, so excludes Demons, Port, Doggies, Swans
Pies beat us twice.

The fact that collingwood are top of the ladder says it all. There are no great teams this september. Hence you will find me watching the storm try to stop penrith (who are a great team though it pains me to say it).

If the Cats can't win it no-one should!!! Can I barrack for another pandemic or a world war instead?

I'm joking, people. Honest!

Marine Life Goodbye GIF by pikaole

I'm firmly in the "anyone but Collingwood" camp. I say that as someone who's not even usually that much of a hater of the Pies. I've just found the hype around them this year insufferable and I've projected my irritation towards the hype onto their team itself. The way they've been talked up has been so wildly disproportionate to their actual performances I've found myself eye-rolling every time I hear about them.

Everyone in the media keeps saying how "likeable" this Collingwood team supposedly is, which from my perspective is ironic, as this year is easily the most I've ever disliked them.

Port just for the Hinkley factor is probably my first here.

Brisbane has some d***heads in it but I want to see Linc with a medal

Melbourne fans didn't let their first one go to their heads and they have some really likeable players so I'm behind them third.

The rest can gagf
I'm changing my list here.

Brisbane can gagf. Sorry linc but your teammates need to stop playing for frees.

I'm not hitching myself to anyone this year, but I'll do a ranking in order of my least wanted.

1 The orange team. Made up plastic franchise, no one supports them, Toby Greene.
2 Brisbane. Joe Daniher.
3 Carlton. Younger folks think Richmond supporters were bad when they finally came good a couple of years ago. If Carlton are good, you're in for a few lessons in just how entitled and arrogant people can be about a football team they support. Were ready to sack Voss a couple of months ago.
4 Collingwood. Probably deserve it after the year they've had, but can't have 'Bruzzy' or Ginnivan.
5 St Kilda. Losers, Ross Lyon.
6 Bulldogs. Weightman.
7 Sydney. They were nice enough to let us flog them last year.
8 Melbourne. Nothing really unlikebale about them, fans were not insufferable when they won a couple of years ago.
9 Port. Hate the feral fans, hate a couple of players (SPP and mine craft head Wines) but Kenny was my favourite player and would love to see him win a cup and tell all the "fans" who've been calling for his head over the years to get stuffed.

From most to least wanted.

1. GWS - Same as others have said, they're a plastic franchise with few fans and little presence. They win and it's basically a dead year for everyone. A big "okay" and let's move on. Also as the new franchises succeed, hopefully that means the AFL stops siphoning so much from other clubs to support them
2. Port - I think it'd be funny for them to win it given how Hinkley has been treated, even this year when they've been pretty good. Also a fairly entertaining side with some quality players. Fans can be insufferable but they're over in Adelaide at least.
3. Melbourne - Their coach seems to have some real personal issues, but they're a quality side with some exciting players, and I think 2 from this era at top would probably be appropriate, especially for how long Melbourne were crap beforehand. If the flag is staying in Melbourne, they are more tolerable than Carlton or Collingwood and more likely than the Saints or Dogs.
4. Sydney - Despite the advantages they receive, they continue to remain up at the top end, which is respectable, and even mid-year turned things around and rejuvenated their lineup. After getting so close and failing so frequently over the last decade or so, it would be nice to see them win one. Similar to GWS, there's also the "who cares?" factor, though they are a more mature franchise and more heavily supported.
5. St. Kilda - Would love to see it for their fans, and I'd have them right around the top if not for their coach being Ross Lyon, who I never want to see coach a premiership side. Also not really that good. Think they're pretty lucky to make the 8 this year, and incredible they may have a home final.
6. Brisbane - Don't like a lot of their players and how they carry on. Would like them to continue to get close but fail deep in finals. Would be nice to see Linc get a medal, and there's also that same minimal relevance factor as aforementioned.
7. Bulldogs - Excruciating coach and players. Haven't been at all good enough to even be considered this year. Had a recent flag and don't need another.
8. Carlton - Would be awful to have to deal with the supporters. Long may their drought continue.
9. Collingwood - Best all year, so element of tall poppy syndrome. I generally find their fans quite okay, personally. I think to an extent, much like with Sydney, you must respect how they are managed. They make big calls on players, make substantial list changes, and yet come back and are competitive every several years, never remaining mired at the bottom rung. Of the big 4, they've been the only side to remain strong on field throughout the modern era. But as the biggest club in the land, they'd celebrate the loudest if they won, and that would be annoying.

Nothing startling here, but it certainly is well set up for a Demons flag.
Good form.
"Home" qf v Pies, knowing they beat them there this year.
Fritsch is back and brilliant.
Great list.
No major weakness.
I'd rather see Pies win it, but that should be the GF.
Blues are surging.
Lions and Port are threatening.
GWS and Saints could surprise. But hard to see GWS getting past Blues.
Swans are unlikely to go past week 1.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm firmly in the "anyone but Collingwood" camp. I say that as someone who's not even usually that much of a hater of the Pies. I've just found the hype around them this year insufferable and I've projected my irritation towards the hype onto their team itself. The way they've been talked up has been so wildly disproportionate to their actual performances I've found myself eye-rolling every time I hear about them.

Everyone in the media keeps saying how "likeable" this Collingwood team supposedly is, which from my perspective is ironic, as this year is easily the most I've ever disliked them.
It reminds me a bit of the belief that if you're always called underrated, you inevitably become overrated. It's a bit of a paradox.

With the Pies, I sense similar. If the media have this enormous circle jerk about how likeable they are for 18 months, you just get sick of it.

What annoyed me the most is their premature anointment as a great side.

I remember that game a few weeks back at Marvel against the Dogs, and BT and JB just kept going on and on about how amazing this Collingwood team is. JB even said "How can anyone stop this champion side?"

We all know why. They're the biggest club, and it sells papers, clicks etc..but my God, I thought I'd been living under a rock for 3 years. What did I miss, have they already won a flag?

It's particularly annoying as a Geelong supporter, as they haven't done anything yet that we haven't done a gazillion times before over the last 20 years, and we never got anything like that treatment.

Even last year, we had to win the damn thing to truly earn respect. That doesn't seem to apply to the Pies though.

Good form.
Great list.
No major weakness.
Blues are surging.
Bulldogs and Saints could surprise. But hard to see Dogs getting past Blues.
Agreed

Hate to say it, but winner of Pies vs Dees will win the flag.

That'll be this year's version of our QF against Collingwood.

Taylor Hamstring
Carlton too good?
GWS-Everything to play for, Blues can only get injuries today, yet they'll probably beat them
A fairly bizarre take.

Carlton are the hottest team in the comp, full of self belief, at home and GWS are missing one of their most important players. Yet the Giants are going toe to toe with them. You want a pathetic finals contender performance? Bulldogs last night who had a lower expected score against half of Geelong's VFL team in a tribute match.

I have noticed you don't ever really dish out praise to GWS. Not a fan of the expansion?

Good form.
Great list.
No major weakness.
Blues are surging.
Bulldogs and Saints could surprise. But hard to see Dogs getting past Blues.
Just remember you may have to add GWS.

Can you hear a big big sound?

Interesting thread (deserves a poll attached!)
If Brisbane don't win this year - they never will with this list.
Collingwood have been playing attractive football, so probably deserve the flag.
I'd like Port to win for Kenny, but I don't think they have the depth.
I'm old enough to remember the entitlement of Carlton supporters.
But I actually respect Sydney - they are always competitive and never really bottom out (bit like us). Last year before the GF, I realised that if Sydney won, I wouldn't hate them like I hate Hawthorn and Richmond.

A fairly bizarre take.

Carlton are the hottest team in the comp, full of self belief, at home and GWS are missing one of their most important players. Yet the Giants are going toe to toe with them. You want a pathetic finals contender performance? Bulldogs last night who had a lower expected score against half of Geelong's VFL team in a tribute match.

I have noticed you don't ever really dish out praise to GWS. Not a fan of the expansion?
I love their song- Cat Empire.
I love Toby Green.
That is all.
Don't like or dislike them, and if they were to play finals and beat Carlton again, I'd be rapt.
But i can't see it happening, beating Carlton in 2 weeks that is.
They qualify as a team I 'd like to see win it because we haven't beaten them.
Tbh, have rarely watched them this year.

Just remember you may have to add GWS.

Can you hear a big big sound?
Ok, will do. have edited that post given the result tonight. Surprising to me, but glad Bulldogs did not make it. They have always been a poor-mans Geelong imho.
Remember, they were questions , not statements of knowledge. Quite glad they have beaten Carlton.

Oops, I thought game was already over- it was only a progress score.
I'll be peeved for sure if Carlton does a Collingwood and comes back to win this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back