Who do you support in the NHL & who are your favourite players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sabres.

Favorite Buffalo player would be Pominville and was a Derek Roy fan until the trade to Dallas. Picked up a Roy jersey from First Niagara Center(then HSBC arena) in 2010 prior to a northeast division clinching game against the Bolts and Roysie busted out a hat-trick in a 7-3 belting. Best holiday ever!!! Also caught Sabres/Sens, Sabres/Leafs in Toronto, Rangers/Isles at MSG and Kings/Oilers in LA.

I've always been a huge Gretzky fan and had a wicked 99 burger at Wayne Gretzky's in Toronto before the Leafs/Sabres game at ACC.

BUT...

My favorite current day player even though he may be retired?

Sean Avery. The Akermanis of the NHL. Big mouth but could back-up his yap from time-to-time. Hated by fans, opposition and even teammates! Dropped the mitts if need be and dated some dead-set stunners. I for one will miss the Avery show.

Oh and BTW end the fookin' lockout!

Another Pens fan here. Originally somewhat of a Habs fan because we have some extended family in Montreal. Had some cousins head over there and they came back with a bunch of Habs gear and convinced a younger version of myself to jump on board. Played many seasons as the Habs on NHL 99 to the point where I got bored with them, as you do as an 8-year old. So after trialing a few new teams I found an exceptionally skilled player with a glorious mullet (god knows what attracted me to mullets as an 8-year old) in Jaromir Jagr and I thought Penguins were pretty cool animals, have stuck with them ever since. Nowadays, I love that Pittsburgh is a working-class sports-mad city.... and I freaking hate Jaromir Jagr.

Favourite Pens players (no order): Dupuis, Letang, Crosby, Malkin, Engelland
Favourite non-Pens: J.Stall (still shattered about his move to the Canes), Landeskog, Iginla, S.Koivu (nostalgia), Langenbrunner, Selanne. I don't know if I love Talbot or not anymore.
Another Pens fan

7879.jpg

Regarding Talbot, I still have a soft spot for him. I can't blame him for going for the best deal he was offered (or would ever be offered), even if it was to go to the Philth. He played a big part in the '09 Cup win, so he paid his dues and gave us some great memories.

I have a white Talbot jersey with the Stanley Cup patch. It won't get much wear ever again, but it's a great memento.

Leafs *ducks to dodge tomatoes*

Picked the Leafs after my first ice hockey experience. Was channel surfing the hotel TV in Toronto and came across a college game. Found the sport so exciting I decided to follow it, and picked up a Leafs jersey before I left town because I loved the city.

Favourite players are Joffrey Lupul, Clarke Macarthur and Dion Phaneuf (and before they left, Luke Schenn and Jonas Gustavsson, who I can't hate because he stole as many games as he lost).

Moreover, I also like Matt Duchene, Patrick Kane, Jamie Benn and Claude Giroux; mostly because my friends support the Avs, Hawks, Stars and Flyers and so I don't mind these teams, but also because there have been some really exciting plays sparked or led by these players. I also like watching goalies like Hank, Quick and Brodeur as I want to play goalie and one way to learn new things is to watch the pros.

Calgary Flames fan here.
First town I visited in Canada was Calgary, their colours are red and black and everyone in BC where I spent 5 months working as a liftie last year hates them!

On the way out of the country I saw the Flames play the Canucks at the Saddledome, after copping sh*t from Canucks fans for 5 months it was very satisfying to see the Flames beat them 3-2 at home.

Favourite players are Miika Kiprusoff (who ensured I saw the Flames win, absolute legend of a keeper!), Jarome Iginla and Mike Cammalleri

Vancouver man here. Olds brought back a Canucks top from their trip to Canada a few years ago. Couldn't say no. Felt the heartbreak of losing to Boston!!

Fav player would probably be Henrik Sedin.

Still got a lot to learn about the game. I know the Canucks have their troubles with Luongo and this season is our last shot to get that elusive title. Any extra info on what other teams think of Vancouver, etc. Very naive here.

Vancouver were actually voted the most disliked team in Canada recently. They think they are very good but have actually achieved nothing :p Calgary, Chicago and Boston are their rivals. Don't worry about Luongo going though. Schneider is a very, very good netminder.

I understand the Boston and Calgary rivalry, but why Chicago?

I understand the Boston and Calgary rivalry, but why Chicago?

It's kind of a recent rivalry. They have been two of the top teams in the Western Conference over the past few years and they seem to keep meeting in the playoffs. They've had some tough, physical games and the players don't like each other too much. When you have guys like Kesler and Burrows meeting Kane and Toews then their is a big clash of egos!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah good to know. Glad we get to meet them a few times this season then.

Are we a realistic chance of winning it? Who will get in our way in the east?

I suspect a team out of the top 4 in their conference can do it this year. Just a matter of peaking at the right time ey

Yeah going to buy to Game Center pass this arvo.

Vancouver were actually voted the most disliked team in Canada recently. They think they are very good but have actually achieved nothing :p Calgary, Chicago and Boston are their rivals. Don't worry about Luongo going though. Schneider is a very, very good netminder.

Yup - fans are generally absolute douchebags (bit like Bomber fans for mine) but also have that smug sense of entitlement even though they have actually won bugger all in their franchise history.

Also the fact the city has rioted the last two times they have lost in the SC finals = easily my most hated team in the league.

Yup - fans are generally absolute douchebags (bit like Bomber fans for mine) but also have that smug sense of entitlement even though they have actually won bugger all in their franchise history.

Also the fact the city has rioted the last two times they have lost in the SC finals = easily my most hated team in the league.

Exactly! My team has been struggling lately and I get picked on in this city but I love reminding them that Edmonton have 5 cups to their 0!

How do you think the Flames will go this year?

Same as always - 8th-12th and probably outside the playoffs :D

Will need guys like Cervenka, Baertschi and Widemand to fire up offensively if we are going to make it - and also need to improve our historically disgusting display in shootouts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back