Opinion Who is the greatest Richmond player of all time?

Who is the greatest Richmond player of all time?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We may make fun of Mr. Squiggle, but I tell ya, considering his modest frame I have never seen anyone throw themselves into a contest the way DB did. Sure, he was like a ragdoll and I saw him get smashed numerous times, but my god, that kid had guts just like his old man. He was simply never meant to be a footballer. But god he tried. He never worked out, but for effort alone I'll always have time for David Bourke.
Yes...what a bummer for DB...son of a Tiger Icon and just simply not physically built to compete in AFL footy!
But credit where credit is due...took an almighty hanger over Hird...was there that game!

Wow, can you say what the indiscretion was? I remember when this happened and we got Ian Stewart in exchange from the Saints. I don’t think Stewart left St Kilda on great terms either.
Let's just say he did a Wayne Carey. Stewart had alcohol problems and had to be locked up on Friday nights or would turn up half cut for games.

Let's just say he did a Wayne Carey. Stewart had alcohol problems and had to be locked up on Friday nights or would turn up half cut for games.

If Barrott did a Wayne Carey wouldn't it be common knowledge to Mal Brown in this interview

It seemed like there were Punch ups with his team mates? Not following coach's instructions.

BARROT: Yes. Ben Alexander tried to get me back to Richmond through Graeme Richmond and Tommy. I know he tried to get me back there a few times but it didn’t eventuate.

Annoyed Hafey & GR too?

BARROT: I’ve got that at home in my scrapbook. I did write for the Herald-Sun with John Craven. When I read the articles he would twist it around to sensationalise it. It got me in big trouble. As for the money-making machine comment that’s rubbish, we all played for money, we work for money. Some of the things that were written about me were more than untrue.

If Barrott did a Wayne Carey wouldn't it be common knowledge to Mal Brown in this interview

It seemed like there were Punch ups with his team mates? Not following coach's instructions.

BARROT: Yes. Ben Alexander tried to get me back to Richmond through Graeme Richmond and Tommy. I know he tried to get me back there a few times but it didn’t eventuate.

Annoyed Hafey & GR too?

BARROT: I’ve got that at home in my scrapbook. I did write for the Herald-Sun with John Craven. When I read the articles he would twist it around to sensationalise it. It got me in big trouble. As for the money-making machine comment that’s rubbish, we all played for money, we work for money. Some of the things that were written about me were more than untrue.
Okay the rumour was he'd done a Carey but I'm not going to say with who. Richmond supporters I know at the time were aware of it. I don't think they were prepared to come out and make accusations and it would have lessened Barrots value in any trade. Mal browns interview years later would only have been slander if you could not present proof. Also I don't think brown is the type to be raising such an issue.
Also the player he was involved in a punch up with was the player supposedly affected by the said affair.

Okay the rumour was he'd done a Carey but I'm not going to say with who. Richmond supporters I know at the time were aware of it. I don't think they were prepared to come out and make accusations and it would have lessened Barrots value in any trade. Mal browns interview years later would only have been slander if you could not present proof. Also I don't think brown is the type to be raising such an issue.
Also the player he was involved in a punch up with was the player supposedly affected by the said affair.

Didn't Sheedy KO Barrot after training one night when a kid asked Barrot for an autograph and Barrot told him to F off?

I can recall that SOS legends game against the Blues out at Windy Hill where Rex Hunt was doing the commentary over the P.A. (before he had a run himself) and he said words to the effect, "This is such an important day that Kevin Sheedy and Billy Barrot are both on the ground together, at the same time. I never thought I'd live to see that day again".

Didn't Sheedy KO Barrot after training one night when a kid asked Barrot for an autograph and Barrot told him to F off?

I can recall that SOS legends game against the Blues out at Windy Hill where Rex Hunt was doing the commentary over the P.A. (before he had a run himself) and he said words to the effect, "This is such an important day that Kevin Sheedy and Billy Barrot are both on the ground together, at the same time. I never thought I'd live to see that day again".
Not aware of Sheedy incident.

Your first paragraph reminds me of the time in 1972 when I asked Ricky McLean for an autograph.

He signed alright, but it wasn’t his name he wrote down. I was 13 years old at the time. My mother was furious.

He did have lovely handwriting though I must say.

wouldn't surprise , for the 1974 GF you had front up to Punt rd 3 times , one to reserve a spot in the queue , two get a queue ticket and final to buy the tickets

I think it was the time to get a queue ticket the boys had a light training run
the stars pinged off but Sheedy walked the queues shook hands hundreds of times got hugs and kisses from old ducks , signed autographs for kids
its great for the game and the club , it showed his people skills and part of why he was a good coach and promoter of the game

so no surprise if Sheedy was very protective of the young supporters

Sheedy actually signed an autograph for a kid and then handed the book to Barrot to sign.
When Barrot handed it back to Sheedy to give to the kid, Sheeds noticed that Barrot had signed the works 'Get F****' in the kid's book.
Sheeds belted him and jumped atop to deliver a few more whacks and by his own admission was going to kill Barrot.
It took a few players, including the late Michael Bowden, to drag Sheedy off the top of Barrot.
In later years, Sheedy admitted he feared what he might have done to Barrot if no one had intervened.
Barrot was diagnosed as bipolar or as it was known back then as 'manic depressive', albeit not a lot was known about the condition as it is today, which explains some odd, for want of a better word, back in the day.

For anyone interested in knowing more, I suggest tracking down the book on Tom Hafey. I think the Barrot-Sheedy fight gets a mention as does some of Barrot's behaviour that led to him being moved on.

Your first paragraph reminds me of the time in 1972 when I asked Ricky McLean for an autograph.

He signed alright, but it wasn’t his name he wrote down. I was 13 years old at the time. My mother was furious.

He did have lovely handwriting though I must say.
Ricky was at the other end of a big family of a school mate of mine. I remember a few of the family at school not Rick. I got to see our flags of 72~74. Rick was suspended a lot. Shame it didn't work out. Nephew Brock had a career.
Gary Foulds was from there too. Innocous wing man but durable. 300 odd games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For anyone interested in knowing more, I suggest tracking down the book on Tom Hafey. I think the Barrot-Sheedy fight gets a mention as does some of Barrot's behaviour that led to him being moved on.
The Hafey Years? Been looking for a copy for ages. There are a couple on eBay, but for like $120

Sheedy actually signed an autograph for a kid and then handed the book to Barrot to sign.
When Barrot handed it back to Sheedy to give to the kid, Sheeds noticed that Barrot had signed the works 'Get F****' in the kid's book.
Sheeds belted him and jumped atop to deliver a few more whacks and by his own admission was going to kill Barrot.
It took a few players, including the late Michael Bowden, to drag Sheedy off the top of Barrot.
In later years, Sheedy admitted he feared what he might have done to Barrot if no one had intervened.
Barrot was diagnosed as bipolar or as it was known back then as 'manic depressive', albeit not a lot was known about the condition as it is today, which explains some odd, for want of a better word, back in the day.

Seems like such a dumb overreaction from Sheedy. Stupid classless thing for Barrott to write, but wanting to kill him for it just seems ridiculous.

Only been a tragic since the late 90s, hard to ignore the way the older generation speak about KB, its the same way my generation speak about Martin. Used to doubt I'd see anyone better than Richo in the yellow and black, lucky enough to see 2, IMO of course.
Martin
Rance
Richo
Riewoldt
Cotchin

Back