Roast The NGA is a complete rort and pointless waste of time, money and resources.

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s great having Scott, Frangalas and Bower play for our VFL team but they’re not eligible to be taken as father sons because their Father’s didn’t play 100 games for Richmond.

That's not the point of what I wrote. Obviously if sons of Ben Holland (125 games) and Ben Hollands (8 games) are in the academy together the club would initially treat them fairly similarly. Even if Hollands shows more promise by crunch time at 15/16yo the administration is smart enough to realise only Holland qualifies so without rubbing it in the non eligible kids noses you'd start pumping more resources into the one you have a free shot at drafting.

The club would still offer reduced assistance to the other kids as they could end up like Bower, Broderick, Frangalas and Scott finding their way to the club not through the draft and the club would greatly benefit from the early work put into them as kids as they should be disciplined in using both sides of body and have worked with AFL standard skills and goalkicking coaches. Also by way of a buddy they might be going through a rough time with a form slump, knee reco, goal kicking yips etc. The club could help them out and nip it in the bud and get someone like a Cumberland or Dylan Grimes to cheer them up and motivate them that the injuries will heal better if they do xyz???

We're all frustrated and pissing and moaning about our lack of quality father sons. The club not even having a father son academy til 6 months ago is an embarrassment. Anyone who's successfully ran a business knows you look at ways to better make use of funds. For mine the NGA is a complete farce. If they're any good and outside pick 40 we get first claim anyway.

Slash the budget 90% give them each a pair of boots a jumper, and gear and host a couple of clinics and a few things leading up to dreamtime game as well as tickets but nothing more. As I've said before in 8 years we've spent God knows what and in return got 1 good game out of eggy (was a rookie pick anyway)

"A Victorian powerhouse is reportedly pursuing “every good Irish athlete” as part of a colossal recruiting effort that is set to cost up to $500,000.
BLUES’ BIG-MONEY BONANZA ABROAD

According to Nine reporter Tom Morris, the Blues are employing a recruiting strategy to “get ahead” of the other 17 clubs.
“This is a really bold play from Carlton to dominate Ireland and, more specifically, make sure that every good Irish athlete who wants to play footy goes to Carlton,” Morris said.

“As we speak, (national recruiting manager) Mick Agresta, (list manager) Nick Austin and (football director) Greg ‘Diesel’ Williams are arriving in Dublin, where they’ll spend a week and they’ll scour the country for the best talent to bring back to Australia.”

The targeted approach isn’t set to come cheap, with Carlton seemingly keen to gain an upper hand on the rest of the competition.
“This is costing almost half a million dollars a year, all up, including their academy, and they’ll have a full schedule,” Morris continued.

“But what it is, is a ploy for them to get ahead of every other club. Most other clubs go in July and August — Carlton are there in May. They’re trying to dominate Ireland.”
Asked if any such Irish recruit could play immediately upon arriving on Australian shores, Morris mapped it out.

“He can (play straight away). A Category B rookie can play any time — also outside the salary cap — so we’ll see what they come back with, but certainly they’re being extremely ambitious in their plans.”

As recently as last August, Carlton signed Irish pair Rob Monahan and Matt Duffy as international rookies.

In addition to luring now-274-gamer Zach Tuohy to Australian Rules, the Blues have nabbed the Irish likes of Setanta O’hAilpin, Ciarán Sheehan and Ciarán Byrne over past years."

I applaud the Blues for thinking outside the box. Wish management at Punt Rd. were capable of being innovative like that. I dare anyone here to tell me the name of a kid in our NGA who's highly touted........ 🥱🥱🥱🥱
No one can because none of them are. Not from U18's, U16's, U14's. The club should look to NZ, Papua New Guinea or other Islander countries. Hell even USA, Canada and Ireland. We're the only team who's never had an Irish player.

So many bag Mason Cox, obviously he's no superstar but he's played 120 SENIOR games. Colina in his grand total of 7 VFL games (ave. 4 touches, 0.7 marks and 5 hitouts)

Smart by the Blues, now they're becoming a profitable powerhouse again they're thinking of ways to use some of that surplus profit to make the club stronger. Punt Rd just hand it over to the equalisation kitty like buffoons making other clubs stronger 🤮🤮🤮

Honestly I'd be more inclined to scour the US for talent than Ireland. Never understood the fascination with them. They play a game that's about as close to AFL as NFL is, they're prone to sook it up and head home and the strike rate with finding actual talent seems dismal.
The US college system is more professional than the AFL. NFL rejects are still often supreme athletes they play with a simiularly shaped ball and although padded are used to taking physical contact.

Honestly I'd be more inclined to scour the US for talent than Ireland. Never understood the fascination with them. They play a game that's about as close to AFL as NFL is, they're prone to sook it up and head home and the strike rate with finding actual talent seems dismal.
The US college system is more professional than the AFL. NFL rejects are still often supreme athletes they play with a simiularly shaped ball and although padded are used to taking physical contact.
The Irish game is the closest to afl in the world. Get an Irish kid to kick a football as opposed to an nfl player and tell me who could pick up the game faster.

I think richoplzbreed was on the money closer to home
PNG, Pacific islands, Torres straight and New Zealand

Jr union programs would have a very good springboard for transferring to Aussie rules and we have a lot of immigrants from these countries anyway so a move to Australia wouldn’t be something that’s overly difficult to sell for a young athlete

The Irish game is the closest to afl in the world. Get an Irish kid to kick a football as opposed to an nfl player and tell me who could pick up the game faster.
Im talking absolute athletic specimens we could be looking at. 6ft 6 blokes who move like mids. If we want players that can just quickly pick the game up why look outside Australia?

I think richoplzbreed was on the money closer to home
PNG, Pacific islands, Torres straight and New Zealand

Jr union programs would have a very good springboard for transferring to Aussie rules and we have a lot of immigrants from these countries anyway so a move to Australia wouldn’t be something that’s overly difficult to sell for a young athlete
I mean that's a fine idea but its only really capturing a couple of extra island nations. Im talking casting the net wide. If were willing to go to Ireland and look at players playing that hideous touch footy soccer hybrid why not look at a serious sport thats producing super human athletes.

The main problem here is the points system. It’s too easy for northern/father-son teams to match the bids of other clubs.

Gold Coast for example had so many quality academy players this year. Yet, they’re still able to keep three first-rounders in 2024. Yep, three!

Meanwhile, the NGA player is part of the open draft if a team selects them within the top 40.

If you’re going to have the northern academies/father-son systems, then update the points system. Also update the NGA system to make it worthwhile for clubs.

This.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The fascination is that they kick and mark it , unless I’m mistaken there’s no bloody us sport that does that . Realistically only a fraction look to be worth the effort the rest are just plodders

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fascination is that they kick and mark it , unless I’m mistaken there’s no bloody us sport that does that . Realistically only a fraction look to be worth the effort the rest are just plodders
International players are always going to be a gamble. What I'm saying is why focus on a tiny island 15,000km away playing an amateur sport that uses a round ball, considers tackles to be a form of spooning and fields players built like Connor Menadue?
I thought international rookies were meant to be wildcard picks based on rare physical/athletic attributes that we reckon could translate to Aussie rules. Not trying to find the closest sport we can so it gives them a headstart in transitioning to Aussie rules. There's kids lining up in the state leagues that have kicked and marked a footy since they were 6, so what's the point of looking overseas?

Athletic specimens like Israel Folau?

Folau was justifiably harshly judged because he was getting $1.5million p/a. He's right though, there's some physical beasts out there who could easily become the next Mal Michael or Esava Ratogolea. No one's going to be harsh on their development as their salary is off the books anyway. All they would need to do is a 2-3 year apprenticeship in the magoo's learning how to follow their man around and fist the ball away. In time their sheer size and athleticism will be added to once they learn to Mark and kick adequately. 7ft full forwards are becoming the norm would be handy having defenders that size who can run and jump and only really needs to nullify their opponent. Obviously, they're odds on not going to be in charge of kick out duties.

"A Victorian powerhouse is reportedly pursuing “every good Irish athlete” as part of a colossal recruiting effort that is set to cost up to $500,000.
BLUES’ BIG-MONEY BONANZA ABROAD

According to Nine reporter Tom Morris, the Blues are employing a recruiting strategy to “get ahead” of the other 17 clubs.
“This is a really bold play from Carlton to dominate Ireland and, more specifically, make sure that every good Irish athlete who wants to play footy goes to Carlton,” Morris said.

“As we speak, (national recruiting manager) Mick Agresta, (list manager) Nick Austin and (football director) Greg ‘Diesel’ Williams are arriving in Dublin, where they’ll spend a week and they’ll scour the country for the best talent to bring back to Australia.”

The targeted approach isn’t set to come cheap, with Carlton seemingly keen to gain an upper hand on the rest of the competition.
“This is costing almost half a million dollars a year, all up, including their academy, and they’ll have a full schedule,” Morris continued.

“But what it is, is a ploy for them to get ahead of every other club. Most other clubs go in July and August — Carlton are there in May. They’re trying to dominate Ireland.”
Asked if any such Irish recruit could play immediately upon arriving on Australian shores, Morris mapped it out.

“He can (play straight away). A Category B rookie can play any time — also outside the salary cap — so we’ll see what they come back with, but certainly they’re being extremely ambitious in their plans.”

As recently as last August, Carlton signed Irish pair Rob Monahan and Matt Duffy as international rookies.

In addition to luring now-274-gamer Zach Tuohy to Australian Rules, the Blues have nabbed the Irish likes of Setanta O’hAilpin, Ciarán Sheehan and Ciarán Byrne over past years."

I applaud the Blues for thinking outside the box. Wish management at Punt Rd. were capable of being innovative like that. I dare anyone here to tell me the name of a kid in our NGA who's highly touted........ 🥱🥱🥱🥱
No one can because none of them are. Not from U18's, U16's, U14's. The club should look to NZ, Papua New Guinea or other Islander countries. Hell even USA, Canada and Ireland. We're the only team who's never had an Irish player.

So many bag Mason Cox, obviously he's no superstar but he's played 120 SENIOR games. Colina in his grand total of 7 VFL games (ave. 4 touches, 0.7 marks and 5 hitouts)

Smart by the Blues, now they're becoming a profitable powerhouse again they're thinking of ways to use some of that surplus profit to make the club stronger. Punt Rd just hand it over to the equalisation kitty like buffoons making other clubs stronger 🤮🤮🤮
Hopefully in the future Carlton move the whole club into the Irish league to combat homesickness and we never hear of them again 🙏

I agree RFC has been bit slow on Irish players AFL & AFLW but the Blues are spending half mill a year to get 3 cat b rookies/per year?

3 players who can spend 3 years on the rookie list then they have to be elevated or delisted?

Blues banking on the Irish players being turned into AFL ready players in one year maybe. FMD they're gunna be homogenous list profile

What do the Blues do with the rest of them.

The point is they now like us, WCE, Pies, Hawks get their excess profits stolen by Robin Hood at the AFL and thrown into the equalisation kitty for welfare clubs. Instead of effectively just setting their money on fire, they're spending it to benefit their club. Greg Williams is tied up in it too. He has things to do with the Blues including skills training. Would be easy to get creative in accounting and in lieu of his annual pay rise. Fly him out 1st class on an all expenses paid trip to the UK.

So much better to spend the clubs profits on the betterment of that actual club, than hand it over and watch broke arse North spend it on Clarko.

If staid is Dusty son of deported maori bikie gang prez Shane Martin, Biggie, Chol, Le Fau, El Nour, and half a doz indigenous boys on the field each week?
More staid please.
Did you ever see our team in the 60s? or 70s? Diversity was having micks or proddies on the team

So many unimaginative people try to turn things into something racial. He's talking about pushing the envelope and thinking outside the box, nothing about a whites only policy. The whole Dustys dad thing has been blown out of proportion making it sound like the path to his door resembled Vlad the impalers as his bikie mates were cooking meth in the kitchen. And ok Mr virtue signaller Biggie and Chol amounted to zilch and El nour is still just a good magoos player, same as hundreds of others doesn't prove he's gonna be a decent AFL seniors player. Should we throw Daw a lifeline to fill the quota now?

I agree RFC has been bit slow on Irish players AFL & AFLW but the Blues are spending half mill a year to get 3 cat b rookies/per year?

3 players who can spend 3 years on the rookie list then they have to be elevated or delisted?

Blues banking on the Irish players being turned into AFL ready players in one year maybe. FMD they're gunna be homogenous list profile

What do the Blues do with the rest of them.
I don’t think it reads like that from what I’ve been told . They’re just going to do the research work on kids in Ireland and will pick at least three players over a time period and the investment will be 500k per year on them. That’s what I was told by a guy high up at the blues. They may not even pick three , but the investment is to look at around three to develop long term.
I told me mate I can’t believe Diesel Williams is still getting free holidays from the CFC. lol.

I don’t think it reads like that from what I’ve been told . They’re just going to do the research work on kids in Ireland and will pick at least three players over a time period and the investment will be 500k per year on them. That’s what I was told by a guy high up at the blues. They may not even pick three , but the investment is to look at around three to develop long term.
I told me mate I can’t believe Diesel Williams is still getting free holidays from the CFC. lol.
Sounds pretty plausible, 3 Irish on list is a fair investment, I spose tho , if one becomes A grade it’s all worth it

If staid is Dusty son of deported maori bikie gang prez Shane Martin, Biggie, Chol, Le Fau, El Nour, and half a doz indigenous boys on the field each week?
More staid please.
Did you ever see our team in the 60s? or 70s? Diversity was having micks or proddies on the team
Yeah "staid" in our Club's vision and treatment of fans!
Staid in their reno of PRO...are we there yet?!?
Staid in their use of the The AFL Old Boys Corrupt Club intro of the NGA...
Staid in their willingness to explore colourful and innovative Club Guernsey's for marketing...
Staid in their non-public condemnation of the free kick bias...
Staid in their Club's Medical and Fitness programe...
Staid in their non use of the Medja to push RFC issues...
Staid in their use of quality Lawyers to contest MRO issues...
Staid in non challenging of AFL directions...
Since the won 3 GF's the club looks like a staid deer in the headlights...
Staidley reactive rather than on the front foot reactive..
Are we a powerhouse Club with 100, 000 members plus a year for the past 6/7 years?!
Could have fooled me...in the Public arena...we act like a wounded fitzroy cut off at the knees...mute and inept!

Turn it into something Racial?

Your thread is a rant against the waste of resources and Rort, that is the NGA. FMD, Its just a bit racial. I'm not racist either I just dont like foreigners

RFC is full of supporters like me; gay, vegan cyclists who have small bar fridges devoted to kombucha made by lesbian AFLW playing friends up on their hobby farms.

Richo (Pratt) it sounds like you love the way the Blues go about it, I give you permission to leave, thank you for your service.

If you can be in Richmond one morning I'll get benny and the KGI kids will have a farewell single origin coffee with you.

Eggmolese can show you his games in 2020, where we ,hang on, won a flag
I'll get off the thread and leave youse to it

ah your definition of "full" differs from 99% of the population. To be expected I guess when you most likely think there's a billion genders instead of 2, and so brave they deserve to be celebrated for a month. Like most blokes I bit the bullet and eventually got a prostrate exam. Not something I care to repeat, but i'd hardly consider myself "Brave" for doing so and wanting some flag displayed all over the place marking the occasion. And having endured all those lean years in the 80's and early 90's sitting in the red members section with the same sad, sorry 200 or so members week in week out I'll be going nowhere.

Gay, vegan, cyclist, kombucha, single origin cofee? I'm sure we'll never cross paths. And don't be so stereotypical..... not all AFLW players are Lesbian...... Conti and that farmer chick weren't....

1713772753267.png

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back