Strategy Dimma said it, Last Dance is over, and now recruitment time is the focus as well as development!!

Remove this Banner Ad

The cream comment is really fair, IMO, but I also think the last three weeks, for the first time he's really got his running patterns right along with having the stamina to pull them off. Hitting clearances at unstoppable pace and using his run to get around the blocking and deliberate congestion.

I saw a turning of the corner and I don't think it was a coincidence that he slid past that 100-game mark at the same time. I'm not 100% convinced either, but I'm very confident and way more so than I was a month ago.

Between his unrivalled talent, further potential to come and perhaps most importantly, his durability, he's quite literally the last player I'd trade.

Bolton was AA last year. He’s just hitting an age where he will be at his absolute peak. He needs to play basically permanent mid. I’m anticipating in 2024 he will explode the same way Dusty did in 2017.

We are not trading out someone who IMO will be one of the best players in the competition for the next 5-years. Just crazy talk to consider trading him out. If he was 29yo maybe, but not at 24yo.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bolton was AA last year. He’s just hitting an age where he will be at his absolute peak. He needs to play basically permanent mid. I’m anticipating in 2024 he will explode the same way Dusty did in 2017.

We are not trading out someone who IMO will be one of the best players in the competition for the next 5-years. Just crazy talk to consider trading him out. If he was 29yo maybe, but not at 24yo.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What are you holding on to??

I would rather win premierships.

If that is not going to happen unless we do something for 5 years we are just enjoying finishing ninth.

This is about the team, Bolton is a great player but I want premierships and if we cannot win premierships we should be building towards premierships, not floating around in the either finishing ninth etc...

To win the premierships it is about team and the collective and where they are tracking like Graham winning in his first year with us in 2017.

As a fan RFC for me is not a social exercise I engage to win premierships or work towards them including the growth and development, if the growth and development is not adequate, things wane and fester and get worse

I actually don't mind hearing the left field type of ideas.
But I definitely don't know enough about Harley Reid to know how much of a "once-in-a-generation" player he is.

West Coast probably would give up pick 1 for 3 first rounders.
We are a long way off having 3 first rounders.
So, possibly Bolton, Baker & trade someone elsewhere for a first-rounder and they might consider us.
Who do we have that we could trade for a first rounder? Balta? D Rioli? Lynch?

Would be about done with the club if they offered 3 of those players.

Maybe the 2024 or 25 draft when we start with more draft capital we could consider trading our way to the pointy end.
Every draft there is a once a generation talent if you believe the blurb

But how many times have we heard those words about the next generational type player
It literally gets ripped out once a year about a some kid who is doing good things at JR level

Rayner was going to be the next Dusty, as was Powell Pepper as for Patreski Setton, Rowell was generational talent so was Walsh

Even Horne Francis who we reportedly went hard for was seen as that but what a * up that would of been after he requests a trade to his home state

If you are club in the box seat already for your Reid type.. fantastic you take the punt because you already have found yourself in the position to take the risk and all you are risking is the drat pick you got from finishing low on the ladder

But if you are actually trading out genuine talent for one kid who may not even make it you are increasing the cost and risk already
Beat me to it

Bolton, unless he pulls his finger out and starts to turn games consistently like he has done so the past 2 weeks, can be seen as a cream player. I want to be proven wrong but I can't shake the nagging feeling that he is too much of our barometer and doesn't have the temperament to stand up and grab the game by the scruff of the neck. He seems like he could be one of those brilliant in a good team type players but useless in real poor teams.

The mail that seems to be going around is that the Harley Reid kid is another Dusty type generational player. I would do the deal of Bolton and a first rounder next year for Dusty
Dusty wasn’t considered a once in a generation player in his draft year

Dusty wasn’t considered a once in a generation player in his draft year

Exactly, Dusty by himself was not enough, we also needed, Cotch, JR, Rance and all the team including Townsend at the time.

Dusty was good enough the Swans wanted to go up like they wanted to go up for Humphrey,we where chasing JHF and I wanted Phillipou but knew we did not have the draft pick to get him.

The thing is last year was a great draft, we missed it, but we did not have a lot to play with. I am not having a go at Taranto and Hopper, I am just saying as a club for success we need to go to the draft this year hard meaning trading players out if we can.

We wanted Bailey Smith, could not get it after time it adds up, the Daicos boys have developed and we have some handy youngsters but we need far more to cause a stir in a upward premiership contention trajectory and to attract others.

If RFC does nothing we look like a sinking ship no one will want to come to.

West Coast have similar idea, on Footy Classified they are talking about more cap space in the next few years for WC, they re getting busy, despite their dark days the silver lining is there, nothing stands still, we need to get busy to and Dimma I think knows it and what is in the best interests of the players and club, that is do not stand still otherwise you get run over like we did for over 30 years. Can't say it enough, the days of the brown paper bag are over, we have to embrace the draft or get run over by it again.

As Brendan Gale said, it starts with a vision and we need to go the draft

Last edited:
Ok. So I was the one who broke the Hopper/Taranto trade here first (search comments) it was before media.

Balta or Bolton will be on the table potentially to go for pick 1 this year. They are contracted so we have the leverage we need to extract maximum value. The club is aware we will not be contending for 5 years at least so why wait until they are 30 to cash in. We need picks, West Coast need 25 year olds to race up the ladder. We as a club also intend to farm as many elite picks as possible until Tasmania's entry into the competition.

Quote this and watch the space.

Ok. So I was the one who broke the Hopper/Taranto trade here first (search comments) it was before media.

Balta or Bolton will be on the table potentially to go for pick 1 this year. They are contracted so we have the leverage we need to extract maximum value. The club is aware we will not be contending for 5 years at least so why wait until they are 30 to cash in. We need picks, West Coast need 25 year olds to race up the ladder. We as a club also intend to farm as many elite picks as possible until Tasmania's entry into the competition.

Quote this and watch the space

That would be an absolute ludicrous decision. Will also free up a lot of cash as Dusty Lynch will go elsewhere to finish their careers.

That would be an absolute ludicrous decision. Will also free up a lot of cash as Dusty Lynch will go elsewhere to finish their careers.
In isolation yes, but buying draft picks is also on the cards regarding clubs who are contending and want to poach more players yet have cap constraints. Easy now hard later or hard now easy later. Cotchin, Martin, Prestia, Riewoldt, Lynch, Deledio, Rance, Astbury, were all high end picks. Whether we like it or not we ran the lottery to get them and we will run the lottery to get their future equivalents starting this offseason. Mark my words.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In isolation yes, but buying draft picks is also on the cards regarding clubs who are contending and want to poach more players yet have cap constraints. Easy now hard later or hard now easy later. Cotchin, Martin, Prestia, Riewoldt, Lynch, Deledio, Rance, Astbury, were all high end picks. Whether we like it or not we ran the lottery to get them and we will run the lottery to get their future equivalents starting this offseason. Mark my words.

Na disagree if there is visions of a 5 year rebuild we’d lose majority of our key pillars and will turn into a 7-10 year rebuild. No way knowing we would even consider Bolton and Balta on the table

Last edited:

Yeah, little incentive for us to free up cash initially for our side.

Remember the days years ago we paid some of our players a fortune like Hollands because we had to meet the cap.

The fact is GWS and West Coast are close to the cap right now and we can use that to our advantage by helping them out possibly so it helps all clubs and players get what they ultimately want in terms of pathways.

Theoretically towards the end of a quick rebuild freeing up cash would be handy attracting others but the reverse would be the case for a initial build where draft capital would be the priority. Especially the likes of GWS who would be looking for a final run at the premiership while they had the Toby Greens, Coniglios, Kelly's etc..

Pendlebury & Sidebottom would be relieved the Pies didnt just turf out all their older players when McCrae took over.

Darcy Moore & Jordan DeGoey were 25 when Buckley left, imagine if the Pies traded them away for picks? Actually, they have quite a few older blokes still playing.

Mason Cox is 32 (30 when McCrae took over)
Jamie Elliot (30 yo)
Brody Mihocek (30)
Will Hoskin-Elliot (29)
Taylor Adams (29)

When Buckley left Collingwood there is no way known anyone would have predicted the Pies to be where they are at now, they didnt even have a 1st rounder. The fortunate thing for them was they knew they had a young Daicos coming, but their list was hardly young.

It's not always about going to the draft, you use the draft to improve your list but its not the be all and end all. Same with trading.

Pendlebury & Sidebottom would be relieved the Pies didnt just turf out all their older players when McCrae took over.

Darcy Moore & Jordan DeGoey were 25 when Buckley left, imagine if the Pies traded them away for picks? Actually, they have quite a few older blokes still playing.

Mason Cox is 32 (30 when McCrae took over)
Jamie Elliot (30 yo)
Brody Mihocek (30)
Will Hoskin-Elliot (29)
Taylor Adams (29)

When Buckley left Collingwood there is no way known anyone would have predicted the Pies to be where they are at now, they didnt even have a 1st rounder. The fortunate thing for them was they knew they had a young Daicos coming, but their list was hardly young.

It's not always about going to the draft, you use the draft to improve your list but its not the be all and end all. Same with trading.
Was Nick Daicos the brownlow favourite last week??

Certainly in the running for MVP given he has almost transformed the team.

Mitchells helps to but their youth and run have revitalised them

Na disagree if there is visions of a 5 year rebuild we’d lose majority of our key pillars and will turn into a 7-10 year rebuild. No way knowing we would even consider Bolton and Balta on the table
Not if you can load up on picks and in 4 years bring in the Bolton/Balta equivalents then.

Was Nick Daicos the brownlow favourite last week??

Certainly in the running for MVP given he has almost transformed the team.

Mitchells helps to but their youth and run have revitalised them

I would say their new coach has revitalised them and my point still stands, your way of thinking you would have turfed Moore or Degoey to get a 1st round pick. You would have also turfed Pendlebury and Sidebottom.

Quote this and watch the space.

was this in the pipeline prior to the hopper and TT deal? The media coming out of the club from Gale even dimma leaving saying that the squad is in a good place to rebound and have success. Also Balme said we wanted to be like the Cats and stay up through free agency and trades.

So is what they're saying a front too the members so they don't drop membership sales?

I'm not overly sure there is a way to get back into this years draft, meaningfully anyway. You would probably need to trade someone like Short, which will likely interest teams placed 3rd to 11th & push the pick available down. Is it worth trading Short if we get back a pick 10-12? Is that worth it?

I can't stress enough how difficult our current situation is - without our picks this year, it simply means the club cannot afford to be losing games in the name of development. If the pick we traded ends up being a top 5, it has the potential to be an absolute disaster. Cant commit to youth without expecting heavy losses due to the tightness of the league. No matter what could possibly happen we most likely are going to fall into a "no mans land" this year in regards to growing our rebuild & not playing finals. As we require younger players, free agency is pretty pointless, as we still have no draft/trade capital.

All we can do this year is try to win as many as possible. This years Free Agency draft has nothing we need - we definitely should NOT be going for Harry Himmleberg now, thats for sure. And we DEFINITELY should not be trading any of our future picks for anything, even picks in this years draft. I'd have some interest in Tom De Koning as he ticks 3 needs in being young, tall & has high potential as both a forward & ruck. Carlton have done a pretty awesome job at blowing up his value as well, plus Carlton is a team who might be interested in some of our older players, especially if we are happy to eat some contract.

I have to be honest i would love to see the club get real bullish over getting top value from assets & trades again, i really feel like we have became pretty soft at that. Once we do see our cap open up from the last of the golden era retiring, i would want to see the club get smart and use its cap to trade players for picks, but us wearing a portion of the salary to ensure they provide a pick at a premium value.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back