Coach Is it time for Dimma to go?

Is it time for Dimma to go.

• Yes

Votes: 97 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 126 57.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep absolutely , yet people on here still believe that Hardwick “created” the flags with out any input, there is no way he did it from Harvard he was busy taking exams, the assistants created the game plan and once they started leaving we have reverted to 2016 , micro manage

Lol the assistants didn’t create the game plan what an absolute load of garbage. They all had input bringing their different strengths and utilising the strengths of the list that were funnily enough not realised until mid season when it was done through necessity.
You’re doing the exact opposite to what you’re claiming the Hardwick supporters are doing where in reality it’s lays somewhere in the middle.
Back to micro managing? How exactly?

Last edited:
Some people on this forum should look back to what we did with Hafey in '76 yes he didn't win another flag but he made a lot of Finals while our club became a basket case post 1980, 3 flags is about all anyone gets before a bit of a dip, Dimma deserves to see out his contract to see where he can take this team.

Does any club burn its own as bad as Richmond, its the one thing I don't enjoy about supporting this club, had we listened to some of the negative supporters back in 2016 we would be short 3 flags.

Loyalty some of you should try it.

Last edited:
2017 doesn’t happen without the new assistants, go back and look at 2014, and 15 , 16 us trying to copy hawthorn, in fact Jack was quotes as saying we are not Hawthorn and he got castigated by Hardwick trying to chip the ball around like hawthorn, we give Hardwick credit for the 2017 game plan, well he must have implemented the gave plan via Skype if you all recall he was overseas on a course untill the first practice game , 2017 onwards the game plan was on the assistants as he wasn’t there, so people on here should go back snd revise history.

He has lost all this quality assist and and reverted to type. TigerImposter you recall me mentioning Skype back then , I also made that comment on this board. Caracalla was the ball movement coach and Leppits h the defensive coach , when Hardwick returned the game plan was already set, once it worked in 17 they were never going to change it.

Don't you miss those days :)
Rance, deep in defence, chips to Chaplin. He chips it over 10 metres to Batchelor, who in turn chips it back to Chaplin. Chaplin switches it 45 across goals to Rance, who finds Morris - surprisingly - on his own, 15 metres further afield. Without hesitation, Morris finds a loose Rance with another, yep, chip. Rance chips to Chaplin, to the same spot he was a minute and a half ago.
If only the $13 bucket of chips you buy at the MCG or marvel had as many chips in it.

Lol the assistants didn’t create the game plan what an absolute load of garbage. They all had input bringing their different strengths and utilising the strengths of the list that were funnily enough not realised until mid season when it was done through necessity.
You’re doing the exact opposite to what you’re claiming the Hardwick supporters are doing where in reality it’s lays somewhere in the middle.
Back to micro managing? How exactly?

Well he was overseas during the pre-season.

Well he was overseas during the pre-season.
During the holiday/conditioning phase.
So What you’re saying is. The senior coach had no input into the game plan game style? It was all done by the assistants?
If people honestly believe this then I can’t wait for my delivery of my rainbow unicorn.

The pressure stuff was hardly groundbreaking. We didn’t go to the small forward high octane pressure game until Ben Griffiths and Shaun Hampson were essentially ruled out mid season through injury. That’s the time we brought it in the undersized ruck to act as another midfielder.

Yep absolutely , yet people on here still believe that Hardwick “created” the flags with out any input, there is no way he did it from Harvard he was busy taking exams, the assistants created the game plan and once they started leaving we have reverted to 2016 , micro manage
Unless you were living under a rock we knew there was a review of Richmond end of 2016. Amazing no sacking of head coaches or president.
I rated the coaches we bought in, including balme. New look game plan too.
Kudos to dimma for being able to reinvent himself.
Amazing how well we played in 2017.
As we gained coaches sad that we lost them. Some now senior coaches.
Covid was an unexpected challenge and state of the game BS we still managed a last flag.

We didn't do everything perfectly off the field in 21 and the club's complaint about stand rule was a waste of energy.
The other thing we didn't do well was reign in the game style that conceded so many free kicks, especially dissent.
Last year our scoring was good, defence not so. Rutten in seemed good on paper.
Ex senior coach. We bought in TT and JH to fix that area.
On paper we are doing the right thing.. just not converted to good football.

Last edited:
Don't you miss those days :)
Rance, deep in defence, chips to Chaplin. He chips it over 10 metres to Batchelor, who in turn chips it back to Chaplin. Chaplin switches it 45 across goals to Rance, who finds Morris - surprisingly - on his own, 15 metres further afield. Without hesitation, Morris finds a loose Rance with another, yep, chip. Rance chips to Chaplin, to the same spot he was a minute and a half ago.
If only the $13 bucket of chips you buy at the MCG or marvel had as many chips in it.
Loved it , we were lucky he went to Harvard in the off season, and learnt how to count

So What you’re saying is. The senior coach had no input into the game plan game style? It was all done by the assistants?
If people honestly believe this then I can’t wait for my delivery of my rainbow unicorn.

The pressure stuff was hardly groundbreaking. We didn’t go to the small forward high octane pressure game until Ben Griffiths and Shaun Hampson were essentially ruled out mid season through injury. That’s the time we brought it in the undersized ruck to act as another midfielder.

Wrong.
Castagna, Rioli, Butler played as pressure forwards from round one and all through pre-season, including the pre-season contest v Port Adelaide in Mount Gambier that I attended in February.
It was always the intention to roll with that plan. The only change was the substitution of caddy for the injured Griffiths.
Hampson??? He was never going to get anywhere near the team once Nankervis was recruited.

Round 1 v Carlton (2017)
Butler 19 disposals, three tackles, two goals
Castagna 20 disposals, four tackles, two goals four disposals
Rioli 10 disposals, two tackles, two goals
Amazing foresight by our goals to come up with a plan where Griffiths would be injured early in the season

Holiday Conditioning? So he came back to Australia 4 weeks before the start of the season to a group that had been training for two months and introduced a game plan that would go on to win flags?, without the new assistants there would be no flags, I give him credit because he was the coach, but that’s as far as it goes.

and oh yeah we lost Hampson, who didn’t play a game in 2017 after spending more time in rehab than Dion Prestia, and Ben Griffith who played the first two rounds in 2017 so where does mid season start? End of 2016 or after round 2 2017, the game plan was in place before the start of the season in 20!7 it was implemented by the ”new” assistants ,I’m sure Dimma put in his two cents worth via Skype.

he gets credit for the flags as he was the senior coach, just as Tony Jewel was the coach in 80 but back then Sheedy was taking the training sessions, but jewel got the credit.

again he was at Harvard till the first practice game, is it plausible that he arrived two days before that game and introduced a new game plan?

there are fairies at the bottom of your garden,

Of the people who want dimma to go I'd be interested to find how many Richmond coaches you've seen sacked
I hated them days where we were averaging a coach every 2.6 years like Carlton

For me if a coach wins a premiership he has 5 years grace , Dimma has another 18 months before this gets considered

And i totally agree with all you said and we all knew Cotchin was a gun and would be captain the day he walked into the club

But my comments were more regarding the media and their acceptance that Cotchin was a good mid but Kreuzer was the undoubted #1 pick that year

Carlton made a massive mistake as even their own info had Nic Nat a better Ruck than Kreuzer but they still took him

Should have taken Cotchin and Nic Nat the following year

I do think Cotchin was rated higher than just a ‘good’ mid. That draft it was Kreuzer/Cotchin then daylight …..

I recall a story of an underage game recruiters were watching where Cotchin was playing, and they requested he be taken off the field as he was getting every clearance and the other clearance mids couldn’t be properly assessed - the commentary was he was going top-2, they knew he’d be a star and they didn’t need to see Cotchin play.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Holiday Conditioning? So he came back to Australia 4 weeks before the start of the season to a group that had been training for two months and introduced a game plan that would go on to win flags?, without the new assistants there would be no flags, I give him credit because he was the coach, but that’s as far as it goes.

and oh yeah we lost Hampson, who didn’t play a game in 2017 after spending more time in rehab than Dion Prestia, and Ben Griffith who played the first two rounds in 2017 so where does mid season start? End of 2016 or after round 2 2017, the game plan was in place before the start of the season in 20!7 it was implemented by the ”new” assistants ,I’m sure Dimma put in his two cents worth via Skype.

he gets credit for the flags as he was the senior coach, just as Tony Jewel was the coach in 80 but back then Sheedy was taking the training sessions, but jewel got the credit.

again he was at Harvard till the first practice game, is it plausible that he arrived two days before that game and introduced a new game plan?

there are fairies at the bottom of your garden,

More rubbish from you. Amazing how you know this, yet the AFL world and club management etc have been hoodwinked by Hardwick this entire time.
Those extra premierships and that extended multi million dollar contract has been given to a fraud.

This guys is a crazy operator if that’s the case. He has the world fooled. But not you, you clever little sausage

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some people on this forum should look back to what we did with Hafey in '76 yes he didn't win another flag but he made a lot of Finals while our club became a basket case post 1980, 3 flags is about all anyone gets before a bit of a dip, Dimma deserves to see out his contract to see where he can take this team.

Does any club burn its own as bad as Richmond, its the one things I don't enjoy about supporting this club, had we listened to some of the negative supporters back in 2016 we would be short 3 flags.

Not necessarily wrong but does that mean we should have stuck with Frawley or Wallace for another 5 years. It’s the hard question of knowing when they can’t do better if the stay.

I just watched Dimma’s presser. I think he’s going to stand aside end of this season. When asked about his passion etc… his reply was all ‘Benny and I are in constant discussion about how that looks’. And he dodged the question about his passion and the players motivation.

I think he knows he’s taken this team to the top of the mountain and whilst the players love him and he could do the job in 2024 and onwards, it’s time for a new voice to take them forward.

I just haven’t heard what I regard as rock solid 100% commitment from Dimma to the long-term transition the club is going through.

I just watched Dimma’s presser. I think he’s going to stand aside end of this season. When asked about his passion etc… his reply was all ‘Benny and I are in constant discussion about how that looks’. And he dodged the question about his passion and the players motivation.

I think he knows he’s taken this team to the top of the mountain and whilst the players love him and he could do the job in 2024 and onwards, it’s time for a new voice to take them forward.

I just haven’t heard what I regard as rock solid 100% commitment from Dimma to the long-term transition the club is going through.

I didn’t get that at all

I didn’t get that at all

I just think if he’s in for the long haul, and someone asks about his long-term future, his reply would be “I’m fully committed, as passionate as ever and am excited about coaching this next wave of players” … not “Benny and I are in constant dialogue” about his future.

No big deal either way, I just don’t think anyone is set on wanting Dimma to coach long-term… either Dimma or the club. Given he’s contracted for 2024 he might be there next season (I wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t) - but I’ll be very surprised is he’s there 2025 onwards.

I want him to be, I’m just not convinced he thinks he’s the man long-term.

I just think if he’s in for the long haul, and someone asks about his long-term future, his reply would be “I’m fully committed, as passionate as ever and am excited about coaching this next wave of players” … not “Benny and I are in constant dialogue” about his future.

No big deal either way, I just don’t think anyone is set on wanting Dimma to coach long-term… either Dimma or the club. Given he’s contracted for 2024 he might be there next season (I wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t) - but I’ll be very surprised is he’s there 2025 onwards.

Sounded like he is taking it a week at a time which is what you’d be wanting him to do. He’ll definitely see how this contract

We didn't replace the quality we lost no way near it have look at our fitness department we hire within total mess that's a prime example. Covid is gone now we herd that exuse other clubs appointments compared to ours across the board alot better. We made a big deal we hired to ex coaches as assistant's that doesn't make them great appointments based on what yeah Rutten was great previously, but have look at difference Scott is making at Essendon.Very simple for me in 2017 we invested heavily in our football department since then we dropped the ball.
You sound like an expert in the field. Wouldn't Burges program just continue on, the one Meehan has inherited.

Hawthorn's injury list is enviable. Not translating into wins though.

Scott made a great start, top of the ladder after Round 1.

some clever selections

they now sit outside the 8.

Have a look at their administration Still a basket case of a club.

Last edited:
Not necessarily wrong but does that mean we should have stuck with Frawley or Wallace for another 5 years. It’s the hard question of knowing when they can’t do better if the stay.
I can see your point, loyalty can only go so far but one thing is, although they may have been pushed neither of those two coaches were sacked, I think they both realised they weren't up to the job and neither have been senior coaches again.

Dimma on the other hand took us out of the 37 years of darkness and that deserves some loyalty, his contract ends at the end of 2024 so let it run its course, I feel Dimma is the type that will know when its time to go, we are currently 7 games in to the season with a list devastated by injury so lets not sell the farm just yet.

There is the other issue in the amount of the payout which would hamper our search for another coach and hit our soft cap hard, also not sure any of our flag winning players would be too happy, it could destabilise the club for years.

Does any club burn its own as bad as Richmond, its the one thing I don't enjoy about supporting this club, had we listened to some of the negative supporters back in 2016 we would be short 3 flags.

A basket case???
That came later.
We played finals the year after Hafey quit.
Finished off 79 with a full head of steam and then won the flag in 1980.
1981 underperformed, by 1982 we were back in the Big dance and should have won it - a full six years after Hafey had QUIT!
Losing Hafey far from turned us into a basket case.
What happened post '82 did, by which time Hafey was on to his third club.
PS From 83 to 85, Hafey failed to take the cats to the finals (I don't say this to denigrate an obvious legend, but his aura and message had wore thin).

A basket case???
That came later.
We played finals the year after Hafey quit.
Finished off 79 with a full head of steam and then won the flag in 1980.
1981 underperformed, by 1982 we were back in the Big dance and should have won it - a full six years after Hafey had QUIT!
Losing Hafey far from turned us into a basket case.
What happened post '82 did, by which time Hafey was on to his third club.
PS From 83 to 85, Hafey failed to take the cats to the finals (I don't say this to denigrate an obvious legend, but his aura and message had wore thin).
I did say post 1980, after dumping Hafey we won one flag in 41 years.

I know there will be some to tell me to piss of with Negative Dimma stuff.

But I am very interested to see the percentages here.

The poll is a very simple yes/no answer.
Next time do a poll where you can see who voted for what. Oppo posters can easily vote and you can't tell.

Last edited:

He didn’t say it in exactly those words but he sounded pretty passionate and committed to coaching Richmond and the new wave of players.

After he said Benny and I are in constant dialogue he said “ But what I will say is this, I’m excited about coaching Richmond and providing the job I’m doing, and we’ve brought in Taranto and Hopper and we’re disappointed we haven’t provided them with the journey we want to give them yet but it doesn’t mean that we won’t provide that journey in the future”

He was then asked about campaigners saying he has lost the players and he said “it’s easy to sit behind a desk and say those things, say it to my face”

Back