Who was Hawthorns last great "Marker" of the ball?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tim was very good on a lead I thought. Used to put a couple of metres on defender and take it cleanly in front. The game has changed a lot but I still can't quite understand why there's now so little of this.

Nb. I also still feel a bit like Tim didn't quite get the run he deserved - was that just because of Rough and Buddy coming through? What was the actual reason for him getting the arse nr end?
Buddy kicking 100 goals in 2008 is why. 2009 teams started blocking those leads, Jack Watts got drafted 2009 as a leading forward. Melbourne would have been looking at what Buddy and Roughy did, fast mobile tall forward who ran towards the kicker and took the ball out in front where the defender had no chance
But that space to lead into has dries up, and forwards are rarely leading out of the square they are running back from their defensive positions

Roughie was a great mark once, so was Buddy before the pre lim in 08 when he broke his thumb

I was going to post this myself. I wonder what changed. For Buddy it was Clearly Injuries. Rough seemed to lose the ability to mark when we moved him to the ruck. Ever since has sought to bring it to ground or tap to advantage.

Its highly feasible that our Fwds are coached to tap the ball to advantage if mark is not certain.

I was going to post this myself. I wonder what changed. For Buddy it was Clearly Injuries. Rough seemed to lose the ability to mark when we moved him to the ruck. Ever since has sought to bring it to ground or tap to advantage.

Its highly feasible that our Fwds are coached to tap the ball to advantage if mark is not certain.
I think they definitely try to tap it instead of making it, lessens the chance of a turnover l suspect.

I think in the most recent times, before the current dynasty started, Nathan Thompson was a pretty good mark.

BB Cegs Gunners and Lake only players averaging over 1 contested mark a game this year, its one area Cegs has improved in and further improvement will go a long way to cementing a place in the team, along with goal kicking

Shem the only one coming through in the forward half that is a contested marking type, everyone else is really more of a lead up forward, Shoe now has the size but as a junior he wasn't playing FF or CHF, he may get there, he is at least trying to use two hands to mark.

Rough going one handed too much I think the good defenders know he will try to hold them out with one hand if they make contact like he is playing as a power forward in basketball. I think at this point it's something that can't be coached out of him so we will have to live with it.

Jumping Jack is the only mobile forward above Lake for average contested marks a game and he is pretty close to Lake on both average marks and average contested marks this year, most of the guys up near the top are plodders like Casboult Hawkins Gawn etc
I think a few of Roughs marking attempts are one handed due to him only having one bloody arm available. Cheats.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Ray Jencke was a safe pair of hands. Chris Mew definitely.
So brilliant is Lake's judgment that I actually can't help but laugh sometimes. Phenomenal. A bit like Jarman's kicking - you just had to laugh it was so sublime.

Tim was very good on a lead I thought. Used to put a couple of metres on defender and take it cleanly in front. The game has changed a lot but I still can't quite understand why there's now so little of this.

Nb. I also still feel a bit like Tim didn't quite get the run he deserved - was that just because of Rough and Buddy coming through? What was the actual reason for him getting the arse nr end?

Boyle suffered too many injuries. His body wouldn't let him play.

But he could pluck a good mark. Here's a photo I took back in round 2, 2007 when he took a nice mark over Hawthorn's favourite defender, Nathan Carroll.

Bm763hdCMAAee1K.png

Tim wrote an article early last year when Franklin cannoned into Tim trying to take a mark against North Melbourne which eventually forced Tim to retire.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/lance-franklin-a-buddy-remembered-20140329-zqocs.html

Boyle suffered too many injuries. His body wouldn't let him play.

But he could pluck a good mark. Here's a photo I took back in round 2, 2007 when he took a nice mark over Hawthorn's favourite defender, Nathan Carroll.

Bm763hdCMAAee1K.png

Tim wrote an article early last year when Franklin cannoned into Tim trying to take a mark against North Melbourne which eventually forced Tim to retire.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/lance-franklin-a-buddy-remembered-20140329-zqocs.html

Thanks.

Very down on himself for a guy that made it to elite level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big Cegs!!!

On the underrated scale for Hawks markers in years gone by....Paul Dear and Gary Buckenara
He could be, has improved big time in that area this year and hoping that his goal kicking improves too

A few others:
David O'Halloran a solid and very reliable mark, similar to Chris Mew as an intercept mark.
John Barker was a very good mark.
Dermott was under-rated as a mark. Took some nice hangers early in his career. Couldn't get off the ground after 1990 but his mark in the 89 GF is probably my favourite all time mark by a hawk.
Kel Moore similar to O'Halloran.
Leigh Matthews has Poppy and Cyril covered. Just as courageous and got off the ground when he needed to.

I agree with Jade Rawlings comments when he first started at the hawks he clunked everything.

Stratton is very useful, he and Lake are the best two in the team at the moment.

Dutchy virtually marked everything that came his way.

Chris Mew along with Jenke was very very solid down back, Hall was a highlight reel until he did his knee. To be honest the memories of Dunstall's was lead, mark , roll.

Of the opposition players Lowe was on another planet, mind you his hands were about twice the size of an average person which helped.

Might add, the best hands I've seen at Hawthorn were Dunstall's. Nobody that I've seen positions their body better in a marking contest than JD. Body on body, in an age where defenders could hack a forward down with impunity, he was almost unbeatable.

While the consensus is that he never jumped, he could get right up there - even a lot of his marks on the lead were taken at a decent height, sometimes almost horizontal to the ground.

There's a shot somewhere of him standing on a player's back. He would always say in interviews that he didn't jump because the percentages weren't there, and I'm inclined to believe that.

Dunstall certainly could leap, he was incredibly explosive. But it's his vice like hands that set him apart. They were sure in a way that I've not seen since. You would see a kick moving around in flight on its way to him, as he ran a million miles an hour at it, and it would look like he had a tractor beam locked on the damn ball.

People say he was predictable. Bland. Lead out, chest mark, kick a goal etc. But the truly, truly great players make the difficult look easy - and that is what he did. Lockett might have the record, but as one eyed as I am, I think JD was better. He gave so many goals off, he tackled incredibly well, and was rarely out of a contest.

Lockett did just one of those things, and while he undoubtably had an intimidation factor that I've not seen before or since, the goal assists and tackles put JD ahead of him in my eyes. Were it not for SOS's clumsy attempts to spoil on a couple of occasions, Dunstall would have had a longer career and the record.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back