4. Clarke
5. Smith
6. S.Marsh
7. M.Marsh
8. Johnson
9. Harris
10. Hazlewood
11. Lyon

This isn't a ODI! Hartley as an opener is an absolute joke. I can cop him playing but he bats 7.

Really depends on which way the selectors wish to go, I suppose.

It does certainly seem they want Haddin to stick around for as long as possible, after which Whiteman would hopefully be ready to replace him.

If Haddin decides to retire before the Ashes ala Hussey, then I'd imagine Wade, Hartley or Nevill getting the nod. Nevill seems to be the best pick when trying to find a balance between batting and keeping (although Hartley's a better gloveman) but Wade's selection can't be ruled out given his prior international experience, his apparent keeping improvement (though probably still not enough) and the fact that he's actually a Test-class #7.

Frankly, I wouldn't have been averse to dumping Haddin and drafting in Nevill over the short-term - Haddin's keeping has been fine, but it's never been Healy-esque and he's been out of form with the bat for a year - and not just in a minor way, either. You can't afford to have your keeper averaging 8 in Test cricket.

Maybe Haddin will hold on for a farewell test at the SCG test early in the new year?

Should be Nevill, will be Wade.

Sam Whiteman - give him half a decade. Honestly, BigFooty would cap a preschooler if he showed talent.
Well, it isn't like he's a mug with the bat or anything since he's scored 174 against South Africa A, and he's playing with Australia A, so he's probably closest to a call up. It'll be between him or Neville if you consider selections coming from the Australia A side, but then against I'm not a selector so I have no idea.

I doubt the selectors will drop Haddin until the Ashes. His keeping is going well and they probably think he'll be able to make a big score soon.
Haddin is safe only for two more matches, his batting problems are now becoming too big a problem and even CA can no longer hide the fact that last summer's form is the glitch on his batting radar given you have to go back to the previous Ashes series in Australia to find an above average series performance.

Since 2010/11 Ashes (excluding 2013/14 Ashes) 24 Test 42 innings for 701 Runs @18.94, for a player who is talked about as a keeper batsman those number definitely say otherwise.

As a comparison, Ian Healy's last 24 Tests prodcued 793 runs @ 24.03 and whilst Healy wasn't a mug with the bat, he wasn't a wicketkeeper/batsman.

Honestly i would play Hartley and have the line

At best

1. Warner
2. Hartley
3. Burns
4. Clarke
5. Smith
6. S.Marsh
7. M.Marsh
8. Johnson
9. Harris
10. Hazlewood
11. Lyon
Keeping and opening doesn't mix well, Alec Stewart averaged in the mid 50s before bneing given both jobs, finished his career just over 40. Hartley is nowhere near as good a batsman as Stewart, so thinking he can do it in test cricket is just not on. Have him at 6 or 7 yes, but not an opener.

As good as Gilly was, the obsession with keepers who MUST be able to bat has seriously hindered this next generation of 'keepers'.

Hartley is no better, nor worse than Wade whilst Neville at 29 is our best 'long term' option. If only the states went for pure keepers than batsmen.

For those of you berating Peter Handscomb, you are a joke. Having watched him KEEP right up through his junior days, the kid has a resume to do so at the next level should it be required of him. Get over your little tit for tat against him.

As good as Gilly was, the obsession with keepers who MUST be able to bat has seriously hindered this next generation of 'keepers'.

Hartley is no better, nor worse than Wade whilst Neville at 29 is our best 'long term' option. If only the states went for pure keepers than batsmen.

For those of you berating Peter Handscomb, you are a joke. Having watched him KEEP right up through his junior days, the kid has a resume to do so at the next level should it be required of him. Get over your little tit for tat against him.

Most of our wicket keepers have been able to bat. Healy wasn't all that great with the bat but he averaged 27 and scored runs when needed. I still remember watching him as a kid scoring his top score 161 run innings. Haddin definitely has batting ability and potential, and was crucial in some of the tests in the back-to-back ashes series. In fact, he scored half centuries in all but 2 innings he batted during the return ashes that we won 5-0. Although, 2 innings aside, he was absolute s**t in England, and his form in Australia against the poms saved his career for another year.

After Haddin? Well hopefully someone that scores more runs than dismissals :)

Hads has done a great job but do think its time for him to hang up the gloves. I for one (especially for the WC) would prefer to see Ben Dunk in as the next keeper/batsmen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peter Handscomb is averaging over 100 this year in the shield and he's only 23. More batsman than keeper but it doesn't hurt South Africa having AB keep.

Steyn can do some trouble with his short ball but Johnsons is in a different league in its own and much more frequent. We'll need an experienced keeper, which is why I don't think even Whiteman would be ready.

Even then, SA don't really have an effective spinner for AB to ever be up to the stumps. The majority of the time he kept between Boucher and de Kock was during Philanders purple patch and he's not a difficult bowler to keep to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back