Remove this Banner Ad

Wrenny

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Hey guys im a tigerfan here and im sorry for intruding. Um i just wanna know who you think is better out of heffernen,caracella or blumfield before they left your club. I just wanna know because blumfield is finally injury free so will he have an effect next year and i need to know is he also good forward?

Heffernan is tougher, more consistant and has more heart than Blumfield and Carcacella put together. Caracella has the best foot skills and Blumfield has an injury prone body and a bulging pay cheque for doing bugger all.

When they played together, Caracella did a heck of a lot of work finishing off the work from up the field. Blumfield played well above his height and was an excellent mark. Heffernan, the least experienced of the 3, played many crucial roles as a edefensive ball-getting midfielder.

Hard to say, but, I think Caracella had more strings to his bow when at Essendon.

As people though, Blumfield was the most approachable.

Originally posted by dees_best
Heffernan is tougher, more consistant and has more heart than Blumfield and Carcacella put together. Caracella has the best foot skills and Blumfield has an injury prone body and a bulging pay cheque for doing bugger all.

Rubbish!!!....Heffernan is useless. At their best it's a close call between Caracella and Blumfield. Both can get 20+ touches and kick multiple goals. Heffernan is nothing more than an overated tagger. Doesnt get enough of the ball to hurt anybody. And as for being tough and having heart you obviously didnt see many of his games at essendon. Soft as butter.

I think we ruined Heff by making him a tagger for so long. He used to be able to find the footy for himself, but he seemed to lose all confidence in doing that after a while (and when he was rushed back in way too early in 2001). He could have been a very good wingman imo.

Caracella was probably the most effective, so many times when he'd get the ball forward of centre we'd score. I was most annoyed at losing him at the time.

We probably miss Caracella the most out of the 3, since we've lost him we've lacked silk across half forward.

The other two were alright, but the loss of neither has hurt us in any great way.

Justin Blumfield. Easily. Caracella is a pea-heart, no ticker at all. Heffernan had the most ticker out of the three but overall, Blumfield was the most complete package.

I think his best position is playing on an opposition midfielder that is a prolific ball winner. Here, Blumfield is accountable enough to stop them getting too much of the footy, but he himself is a very damaging player with the ball. Can often drift forward of the wing to kick goals, or set them up. Is a better mark than 9 out of 10 medium midfielders in the AFL. Watch a video of the 2000 Grand Final - a little unlucky to miss out on the Norm Smith, as was Paul Barnard.

Originally posted by bozza
Watch a video of the 2000 Grand Final - a little unlucky to miss out on the Norm Smith, as was Paul Barnard.

Norm Smith for half a game?:confused: Okay he kicked four goals but that rarely gets anyone best on ground.

I can't really remember much about Blumfield and Heffernan except there last year. Unfortunately they sucked badly. Caracella is more noticeable as he does the finishing off and can do some freaky stuff occasionally. He is lucky he had a coach that allowed him to be unaccountable though.

Yeh me myself as a tiger recken blumfield is a legend. He only played a handfull of games this year coming off OP over the preseason and then he tore his calf or sumthin so he hasnt proved himself yet. I always see when he does play though that danny frawley uses him as a forward pocket. I myself prefer him in midfield. Do you recken a good coaching move would be for blumfield and brown rotate out of the centre and the other is in the forward line? I love how this guy marks what i saw of him this year was great and i am glad to have him. Is there anyway i can look at the 2000 grand final for free? Like go to a site or sumthin?
Anyway i think with a full preseason blummy should be great next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by wrennyboy
Hey guys im a tigerfan here

I guessed that when I saw the spelling.;)

oh and BTW - definitely Heff. I wish we still had him.:(

Good riddance to Blumfield and Caracella:eek:

All were serviceable players and nothing more. I'm not really sure we miss any one of them more than the other two; they were all about equal to me.

I think the trades will in the long run benefit the club a lot more and so for that I'm glad the hard decisions were made.

Caracella was the more skillful of them and had more of an impact on games than the other 2. Would be the only one I would take back of the 3.

Originally posted by pazza
At the time, our first tier (or rotation) midfield was: Ramanauskas, Long, Jason Johnson, Misiti, Denham.

Our 2nd tier was: Blumfield, Heffernan, Solomon, Hird, Peverill.

(you could easily mix the names up for different combinations).

Disagreed. Rama was in his 2nd season, and hardly a midfielder at that stage. Long was at the other end of his career, and played in the forward line too. Denham couldn't get a game. Blumfield, Heffernan and Hird were 1st tier, and peverill didnt make his debut till 01 :rolleyes:

Originally posted by dj21
Norm Smith for half a game?:confused: Okay he kicked four goals but that rarely gets anyone best on ground.

More than half a game, came on in the 2nd to replace Lucas who had kicked 0.4 from memory. The fact that he turned the game is enough to throw him into BOG contention.

Originally posted by bozza
More than half a game, came on in the 2nd to replace Lucas who had kicked 0.4 from memory. The fact that he turned the game is enough to throw him into BOG contention.

I thought he had a good game, but I didn't think he was anywhere near best on ground personally

Blumfield's last season with Essendon SUCKED!!!

Mainly because he couldn't hit a target by foot because of his knee.

But he is by far the best of those three players.

Caracella and Heffernan would not have the capacity to help the Tigers. Although I think Cara will be great for Brisbane and Demons fans will be happy with Heff... Blummers was certainly the right choice for you blokes. Particularly since you virtually got him for nothing. Make no mistake, our trading that year was OK... but you guys virtually stole Blumfield.

If he can get back to his best you boys will be giggling... all the way to ninth :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back