why aren't Fitzroy's premierships considered part of Brisbane Lions history?

Remove this Banner Ad

South Melbourne aren't gone, they changed their name to Sydney Swans. It was a literal relocation of a club. Show me where South Melbourne folded?

Fitzroy may no longer be a VFL/AFL club, but they are still very much alive albeit in an amateur competition.

I'll use North Sydney - and Glebe - as an example.

North Sydney Bears still exist as a club in a different competition. And yet using your logic (and the logic of old mate) they are dead, because they are no longer in the NRL and the Northern Eagles merger broke down.

Same with Glebe. Glebe are actually still playing in one of the NSW competitions, and yet they're the same club that once completed in the NSWRL. Again using the above logic they're gone.
What about Port Power and Port Magpies?
One club or two clubs?
I know one was founded in 1870 and the other in 1997.

What about Port Power and Port Magpies?
One club or two clubs?
I know one was founded in 1870 and the other in 1997.
Yep, you're right.

Port Adelaide were established in 1870.

In 1996/1997 we left the SANFL to join the AFL. Yes, this included a change of nickname, colours, jumper and song. But we were still Port Adelaide.

To "replace" us in the SANFL, a "new" club was established - the Port Adelaide Magpies FC which was not the same. They were even forced to play out of Ethelton for a while (down the road form Alberton). In 2010 the two clubs merged under the One Club banner (probably more of a takeover as the original Port Adelaide club absorbed the SANFL club).

So yes. One was formed in 1870 and one was formed in 1996.

But how is that even relevant to this topic? How is it relevant to the Brisbane vs Fitzroy argument?

Or are you here purely to troll like that St Kilda idiot?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back