Why did Brisbane take Aish?

Remove this Banner Ad

With drafting I think there's times when clubs can afford to take a risk whether that be undeveloped talent/a bolter, injury, home sickness or other issues, but at other times a club needs to select a safer option, maybe settle for a solid 200 gamer instead of a potential star. These times will depend on numerous circumstances and maybe club specific. An example is Melbourne, who I think made the mistake of trying for the star too often. I don't know Brisbane's list that well or the reasons behind the exodus, but given the high number of players you'd think there has to be more to it than just being home sick. If only 1 or 2 players had left sighting this you could excuse Brisbane for taking the chance with Aish, but 5 or 6 I'd have gone for a safer bet.

We've drafted over a dozen players from outside WA since Judd left...?

Our problem is that we keep drafting duds. See below:

Ebert, Selwood, Shuey, Smith, Jones, Stevens, Gaff, Lycett, Karpany, Duggan, Lamb, Nelson, Cavka.

West Coast clearly weight being from WA as a key factor in drafting since 2007...

Years West Coast called a WA kids name out first in the draft: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013

Years they didn't: 2010, 2014

Hopefully the Aish situation leads to all first round draftees getting 3 year deal preferably with a 4th year option. 2 years is much too easy for players to just bide their time then leave.

If you want to play AFL then you enter the draft system and you be thankful for the opportunity no matter where the club is based. If at any time you want to leave that club then you can kick up a stink as asked to be traded but the club won't be dictated to by 1st or 2nd year players.

These boys have chosen to play AFL as their career, so how is it fair that they get no choice in which club they go to, when factors such as development staff, culture and facilities can have a massive impact on how succesful their career is.

Imagine if your reward for studying hard all through highschool and getting the best ATAR in your school meant that you had to go chisholm tafe becuase they requested you go there, yet your mate who ****ed around in school and got plastered the night before your exams ends up getting a full scholarship to study at Melbourne Uni becuase he was lucky enough to be selected by them.

West Coast clearly weight being from WA as a key factor in drafting since 2007...

Years West Coast called a WA kids name out first in the draft: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013

Years they didn't: 2010, 2014

2007 - pick 3 - 3, 4, 6, 7 were from WA
2008 - pick 2 - 2, 3, 6, 7 were from WA
2009 - pick 7 - next picks from WA were 12 and 14
2010 - pick 4 - 1, 2 , 6 only top 10 picks from WA
2011 - pick 23
2012 - pick 45
2013 - pick 11 - 11, 13, 14 were from WA
2014 - pick 11 - next picks from WA were 15 and 19

The only iffy ones are 2009 (because Sheppard really hasn't come on) and 2013 where we had pick and decided to downgrade it to 11 and take Sheed so we could trade for Yeo and stay in the second round.

None of the guys taken after Sheppard are much better and we were never going to draft Jake Carlisle or Jack Gunston etc. with pick 7, just like the clubs that ended up drafting them. If you take Gold Coast's concessions out of play we would've passed on Gaff and taken Swallow or Bennell. 2013 is too early to call, but I am happy we got Yeo.

Extending rookie contracts works both ways. How many kids end up being de-listed after two years? Well all those kids are going to stay on lists for another year if rookie contracts go to three years.

Unfortunately for Brisbane if Aish wants to leave it's because he is unhappy at Brisbane / thinks he'll get a better offer elsewhere. Forcing him to stay an extra year wouldn't make him suddenly happy at Brisbane, it would just mean this debate would be going on in 2016 rather than now.

There is no real freedom of movement in the AFL as there is in other sports, so if he goes he will be traded or have to go back into the draft since Brisbane won't de-list him and let him go to his club of choice for nothing as a DFA. I don't know what people want beyond that? You get to draft a kid from anywhere, they are tied to you for two years at which point you can re-sign them, trade them or let them go. Plus the AFL is a closed system with a salary cap.

Extending rookie contracts works both ways. How many kids end up being de-listed after two years? Well all those kids are going to stay on lists for another year if rookie contracts go to three years.

Unfortunately for Brisbane if Aish wants to leave it's because he is unhappy at Brisbane / thinks he'll get a better offer elsewhere. Forcing him to stay an extra year wouldn't make him suddenly happy at Brisbane, it would just mean this debate would be going on in 2016 rather than now.

There is no real freedom of movement in the AFL as there is in other sports, so if he goes he will be traded or have to go back into the draft since Brisbane won't de-list him and let him go to his club of choice for nothing as a DFA. I don't know what people want beyond that? You get to draft a kid from anywhere, they are tied to you for two years at which point you can re-sign them, trade them or let them go. Plus the AFL is a closed system with a salary cap.
What about Mitch Brown? Pretty sure l read an article a couple years ago before he was cemented into the West Coast lineup that he desperately wanted to go to Saint Kilda. Asking West Coast to trade him and they flat out refused. They kept and read 1/2 years later that he was happy at WC and glad that declined to trade him.

What about Mitch Brown? Pretty sure l read an article a couple years ago before he was cemented into the West Coast lineup that he desperately wanted to go to Saint Kilda. Asking West Coast to trade him and they flat out refused. They kept and read 1/2 years later that he was happy at WC and glad that declined to trade him.

What does that have to do with James Aish?

Two years ago Mitch Brown asked for a trade to St Kilda because he wasn't getting a regular game and they offered him a 3 year contract. He was contracted to us and a required player, so we said no to St Kilda's offer. At this point he had been on our list 6 years and had already re-signed twice. Half way through the 2013 season he re-signed again for a further 3 years, despite St Kilda's flagged interest to again go after him once he came out of contract.

Again, what does this have to do with James Aish - who has never re-signed with Brisbane and has played 24 of 26 games since being drafted?

Interesting to note that Brisbane has had just five first round National Draft selections in their entire history stay with the club from drafting until retirement - Justin Leppitsch (Pick #4, 1992), Nigel Lappin (Pick #2, 1993), Chris Scott (Pick #12, 1993), Luke Power (Pick #5, 1997), Ash McGrath (Pick #13, 2000) - all of whom have premiership medals to their name.

First rounders to leave the Bears/Lions over the years - Nathan Chapman (Pick #2, 1992), Andrew Gowling (Pick #12, 1995), Rory Hilton (Pick #3, 1996), Shane O'Bree (Pick #10, 1997), Des Headland (Pick #1, 1998), Damian Cupido (Pick #6, 1999), Jason Gram (Pick #19, 2001), Jared Brennan (Pick #3, 2002), Llane Spaanderman (Pick #18, 2003), Cameron Wood (Pick #18, 2004), Mitch Clark (Pick #9 2005), Lachie Henderson (Pick #8, 2007), Jared Polec (Pick #5, 2010), Billy Longer (Pick #8, 2011), Sam Docherty (Pick #12, 2011), Elliot Yeo (Pick #30, 2011). All bar Andrew Gowling (who never played an AFL game) played games with another AFL club after Brisbane.

Matthew Leuenberger (Pick #4, 2006), Daniel Rich (Pick #7, 2008), Sam Mayes (Pick #8, 2012) and James Aish (Pick #7, 2013) are the only current first round picks on Brisbane's list.

The "exodus" of top young talent, either through leaving of their own accord, being traded, or just simply not making it at Brisbane, is not just a recent thing. It's pretty much been happening for the better part of 15 years. Makes their early 2000s run all the more remarkable, but also makes the drop-off since that Premiership three-peat more understandable, too, because there's only so many first rounders that you can whiff on, move on or can go home before you're simply bereft of top talent in that prime age group (25-29 years of age) which is the backbone of every playing list, and the main determinate of your success and failure.

Matthew Leuenberger (Pick #4, 2006), Daniel Rich (Pick #7, 2008), Sam Mayes (Pick #8, 2012) and James Aish (Pick #7, 2013) are the only current first round picks on Brisbane's list.

Last edited:
If players have been leaving since before they had salary cap concessions and since said salary cap concessions were removed then it doesn't do much to justify the need for salary cap concessions, but I digress...

Spaanderman was de-listed and ended up being rookie listed a year later by West Coast but never played a game. Lachie Henderson was put up for trade to get Fevola. Cupido was also traded under contract to get Caracella. Brennan played 8 years at Brisbane and the club were happy to see the back of him. He also stayed in Queensland.

Brisbane have a problem, but people are pretty quick to play the 'homesick' card for any player that leaves the club when it does not always apply.

The fact of the matter is that the draft is flawed if a team can't or shouldn't choose the best available talent at their pick due to the go home factor.

Sure the occasional player might move for exceptional circumstances, but the kids know now that it's easy to dictate where they go after the 2 years is up.

They want to play AFL footy and choose it as their job, plus they are well aware that it's a national competition.. so for them to leave after 2 years and dictate where they play is just flat out wrong. Good on them for doing so though because there's no rule against it, but maybe it's time for those rules to be tightened because the draft is now a mockery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aish should have simply nominated he only wanted to be drafted by Port Adelaide and refused interviews with all others. He also should have refused to give any physical testing results to anyone.

Says more about the self entitled culture of these young draftees.

They enter the draft knowing that they can be jettisoned anywhere across the country. Rather than see this as an opportunity to grow into an independent young man away from home and knowing they still have the resources and backup of an AFL club if need be, they would prefer to have mummy still cook dinner.

Soft utensils.

Does my ******* head in.

Or maybe they enter the draft knowing they are contracted for only 2 years and that once they have fulfilled that contract they are free to walk out the door. Just because a team picks you in the draft doesn't mean you are tied to them for your entire career. The draft rules state 2 years so you do your 2 years, unless a trade is worked out ala Tom Boyd.

The sooner clubs understand this the better off they will be.

Brisbane were on a high pre-season though. Beams and Christensen along with a fast finish to 2014. They were looking the goods. However they've imploded because they don't have any tall talent on their list. Until they correct that they'll be bottom of the ladder material and midfielders will exodus. Theyir drafting and recruiting strategy has to be to clean up the spine first and get the rest after that.
Leppitsch in trouble though.

My formular for Lions would have been

Trade Aish & Crisp for Dayne Beams, if Pies still upset not fair, then tell them to go screw themselves. End of the day it's Beams that's wants to go home first, Good deal!. Make Pies trade 30 for Levi Greenwood.

Aren't you the guy that incessantly derailed the ladder prediction thread telling us how good Carlton's list was ?

I'm not sure I'd be following anything you dish up.

Aren't you the guy that incessantly derailed the ladder prediction thread telling us how good Carlton's list was ?

I'm not sure I'd be following anything you dish up.

It's a forum, I'm entitled to give opinions on lists and trades just like everyone here does

as for Blues predictions on ladder, I actually had them outside the 8, before the season started. Look have to stay positive but reality is there are issues and making finals is doubtful and have to look at bigger picture for the long term, Of course I'd love to make finals and try sneak my team in the 8 but not happening

Hope we understand eachother now

Aish should have simply nominated he only wanted to be drafted by Port Adelaide and refused interviews with all others. He also should have refused to give any physical testing results to anyone.

Well, you can't do that .... but thanks for playing.

As a person who has watched James Aish since his junior days, I don't know what his problems may be at Brisbane, but he is a quality young man and I have no doubt he will show his capabilities very soon. People forget that he is still a very young man. Played in a premiership with Norwood at 16, and another the following year at 17. How many players have played in 2 senior premierships before his 18 birthday?

He is a quality young man from a very close family, perhaps he is missing not having their support close at hand, just a thought. I also know his Grandfather is very ill, and this may be playing on his mind, wishing he was there. Nope, Brisbane selected a good player who will have a successful AFL career. I wouldn't go trading him unless a very good offer presents itself, because it will bite them in the bum if they don't.

Well, you can't do that .... but thanks for playing.

As a person who has watched James Aish since his junior days, I don't know what his problems may be at Brisbane, but he is a quality young man and I have no doubt he will show his capabilities very soon. People forget that he is still a very young man. Played in a premiership with Norwood at 16, and another the following year at 17. How many players have played in 2 senior premierships before his 18 birthday?

He is a quality young man from a very close family, perhaps he is missing not having their support close at hand, just a thought. I also know his Grandfather is very ill, and this may be playing on his mind, wishing he was there. Nope, Brisbane selected a good player who will have a successful AFL career. I wouldn't go trading him unless a very good offer presents itself, because it will bite them in the bum if they don't.

Yes you can.

What about this for an idea. If a player is lost like the go home five and the returned draft pick is below that of where the player is selected then the pick is upgraded to the same pick as before as compensation equilivent to free agency compensation . They could call it home sick compensation. This would be open to every club.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back