Why is Messi better than C. Ronaldo?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't think messi played that well against belgium. Thoughts?

Argentina didn't really set out to score again once they bagged the first goal. Messi wasn't amazing but certainly wasn't terrible.

He'll need to step it up with Di Maria being injured though.

The best player of all time was Cruyff, and he (along with Ajax and Netherlands) were the biggest influence on the modern game and the way it is played, he reached a final and dominated the tournament, but because he didn't win is not considered the greatest ever. That is absolute bullshit, he led Ajax to three successive European Cup triumphs an achievement unmatched

Far far too much emphasis is put on the World Cup, a player will have at most 4 chances to win it, probably two at their prime, and have a chance of being injured for at least one of them, equally if they play for a major team they will likely have played 50+ games in the season before the world cup and will be tired. Brazil the most successful team are only averaging a win every 4 competitions, a number that is likely to go down as more nations improve and more nations are capable of winning it

If Pele had been born in Liechtenstein or Maradonna in Andorra would they have been any lesser players because they didn't win the World Cup (or qualified for it)

As for Messi vs Ronaldo it is very hard to say which of them is better, they are both very very good, and the both thrive in their respective club setups (though not in their national ones) and if you put Messi at Real and Ronaldo at Barca, neither would be as good as they currently are, however i wouldn't put either of them in the same bracket as the stand out top three of all time, but they are both in the next bracket along with the likes of Zidane, Beckanbauer, Muller, Ronaldo (brazillian), Zico, Garrincha, Best, Platini etc

[QUOTE="tamotu, post: 34046249, member: 154747"]The best player of all time was Cruyff, and he (along with Ajax and Netherlands) were the biggest influence on the modern game and the way it is played, he reached a final and dominated the tournament, but because he didn't win is not considered the greatest ever. That is absolute bullshit, he led Ajax to three successive European Cup triumphs an achievement unmatched

Far far too much emphasis is put on the World Cup, a player will have at most 4 chances to win it, probably two at their prime, and have a chance of being injured for at least one of them, equally if they play for a major team they will likely have played 50+ games in the season before the world cup and will be tired. Brazil the most successful team are only averaging a win every 4 competitions, a number that is likely to go down as more nations improve and more nations are capable of winning it

If Pele had been born in Liechtenstein or Maradonna in Andorra would they have been any lesser players because they didn't win the World Cup (or qualified for it)

As for Messi vs Ronaldo it is very hard to say which of them is better, they are both very very good, and the both thrive in their respective club setups (though not in their national ones) and if you put Messi at Real and Ronaldo at Barca, neither would be as good as they currently are, however i wouldn't put either of them in the same bracket as the stand out top three of all time, but they are both in the next bracket along with the likes of Zidane, Beckanbauer, Muller, Ronaldo (brazillian), Zico, Garrincha, Best, Platini etc[/QUOTE]

Except by...ummm....Beckenbauer? 74-75-76 with Bayern Munich.

The guy that also lead the West German team that beat Cruyff's Holland in the World Cup in 1974.

Try again.

Good point, i forgot about Bayern and Beckenbauer, however i do think he has had less of an influence on the game and development of the game than Cruyff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ronaldo now in the top 10 La Liga scorers of all time with the best goals to game ratio in the top 30. Now the most hat tricks ever in La Liga.

Already has the most golden shoes in European history and the only player to win more than 1 in 2 different leagues.

Scored the most goals in a CL season. First ever to score in the final for 2 different winning teams.

Record holder for English Premier League goals in a season.

The fastest Real Madrid player to score 50, 100, 150, 200, 250 goals.

Portugal's all time top scorer

Playing from the wing.

You have French background and are renowned for your subjectivity. After that, you kinda lose credibility.

While your username is a tribute to Johan Cruyff, yet your credibility can't be questioned?

I have no dog in this fight, but surely you can see the double standard?

Last edited:
Ronaldo is in brilliant form of late- don't think he'll ever be better than Messi in my eyes. Messi is a more accurate shot, links up better with teammates etc.

This article really does sum it up with numbers and facts(was posted earlier; http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/lionel-messi-is-impossible/?ex_cid=espnsoc); and even when I watch Barcelona games or Real Madrid games I just think Messi is more important to the team and the better player.

Will be a discussion that will go on forever between the two sets of fanboys.

The thing for me is that i don't really rate either as superior to the other but do class them well above the rest. It must be said though that yes ronaldo plays on the wing but he doesn't actually fulfil that role in a way that most wingers do. He almost plays as a 2nd or 3rd striker in the sense that he rarely ever crosses the ball but instead is usually on the other end of it. I wouldn't use terms like 'all of this from a winger' it just doesn't quite match his actual task and position

The thing for me is that i don't really rate either as superior to the other but do class them well above the rest. It must be said though that yes ronaldo plays on the wing but he doesn't actually fulfil that role in a way that most wingers do. He almost plays as a 2nd or 3rd striker in the sense that he rarely ever crosses the ball but instead is usually on the other end of it. I wouldn't use terms like 'all of this from a winger' it just doesn't quite match his actual task and position
He does play wide, but drifts in ala Thierry Henry. He scores a hell of a lot of close range goals and headers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back