Why Rocca Must Play

Remove this Banner Ad

stevo10

Senior List
Apr 18, 2001
If his form in the vfl is going as well as people who watch it have indicated, he must come in straight away! The main reason is that it will mean Petrie and Motlop won't have the first and second best defenders, but second and third, and while that happens Corey Jones gets the fourth. All of a sudden bingo, mismatch and a few more goals are kicked. Petrie has a rise in confidence and we are back on track. If teams put the third or fourth best defender on Rocca he'll kick ten anyway, which means we'll win. Development of players doesn't just mean putting them in the seniors for game time (as we could do for Chad Jones) but having big bodies and players with experience around them to help educate them.

While i'm not quite sure its that simple, IMO there is a more fundamental reason Sav deserves a go this week.

From all reports, Sav is a hugely popular personality around the club. He has really carried on from Carey and co in terms of getting the boys together outside the club and continuing on the spirit that we always hear about within our playing group.

Now for a bloke at his age and the stage of his career that he is, to not reward him for what has been a great work ethic and very solid form so far this year would be a potential real downer for the playing group. They'd all be aware of how he is going and would love to see him rewarded. And i think our boys could do with a bit of a lift at the moment.

Not to mention that right now i think he could make a big contribution to our team's fortunes.

Carlos I also agree with this. I just think Drew needs a little of the heat taken of him at the moment to get his confidence up.

I think we need a Gorilla up forward that can take the opposition's best tall and bash a few packs, taking the pressure off Dish. Sav is this guy, I am thinking he will be brought back too.

No point giving him another year if you're not going to pick him when he's in form and the team isn't.

TheGreatCoranzo goes nicely with TheGreatSaverio does it not?

The only concern you might have is his opponent running up the ground getting easy posessions. Although if Sav comes in it would have to be on the basis there are genuine crumbers in the forward line to pick up the scraps.

I don't think Corey McK and Sav belong in the same team, and I think Corey needs to be persevered with for a few weeks yet.

That said like most of us here we tip our hat to Carlos' VFL nous, so if the time is right then why not.

But I can't see Sav in the ruck, nor can I see a forward line with Sav, Drew and McKernan (or Sav, Drew and a resting Hale).

Porter is as good as dropped this weekend - Laidley stated he is not to play alongside Hale anymore. With Makepeace in for Sinclair (crystal ball stylee) maybe Porter for Rocca should be looked at, despite the natural reservations of a tall, slow forward line.

In the changes thread I picked Brown at full forward so we had a permanent focal point there but I would like to see Sav play at FF if Brown is not going to be moulded as a potential KPP up forward.

I think after Brown's 6 goals in the first game his abilities have been wasted on a Mr Fix it role which invariably doesn't get the best out of him.

He was good this week but having good games in defense is meaningless when the forward line doesn't look like kicking a goal.

Our big men are too soft. They do not use their weight well. Sav cannons through a pack and if you stand in front of him then you wont be doing it twice. All our other big men do not make the opposition pay for their zoning up forward and are thus left outpositioned and behind the play.

We need alot more mongrel and sometimes you have to give away some early free kicks to put the fear of god into the oposition.

Originally posted by Tas
In the changes thread I picked Brown at full forward so we had a permanent focal point there but I would like to see Sav play at FF if Brown is not going to be moulded as a potential KPP up forward.

I think after Brown's 6 goals in the first game his abilities have been wasted on a Mr Fix it role which invariably doesn't get the best out of him.

.........We need alot more mongrel and sometimes you have to give away some early free kicks to put the fear of god into the oposition.

I agree 100% Tas. Although Brown is so versatile now that keeping him at CHB could just well be his calling in the short term.
Sav at FF with a floating Hale across the HF spot will create alot of match up head aches if the team click on the day.

re-sav

Happy for Sav to return as long as its for
Porter or Corey!!!
Hale MUST STAY FOR GOOD IMO !!!!
Going by Laids comments it will be
Porter-but Corey needs to lift also
his stats are ok but the frees
he gives away have been pathetic IMO

thoughts???

Over + out
Digby

Rocca in. Porter out.

Keep Watt at FB
Brown permanent CHB
Colby BP
McKernan CHF
Rocca FF
Petrie FP
Hale RK

With Hale, Petrie & McKernan rotating and sharing equal time in the ruck, up forward and having spells on the bench.

Originally posted by TheGreatCoranzo
The only concern you might have is his opponent running up the ground getting easy posessions. Although if Sav comes in it would have to be on the basis there are genuine crumbers in the forward line to pick up the scraps.
Sav has chased harder and with more purpous so far tjis year than i can ever recall seeing him. On Sunday he probably created 2 or 3 goals with big chases and by applying pressure to the ball carrier which forced a turn over which then resulted in a Port goal. He was huge.

But also, he has been doing a more than servicable job in the ruck as well this year. Probably for only about 20-30 minutes a game, but he has contributed when there.

While i agree with the concerns about McKernan, Petrie and Sav all in the same forward line, i doubt we'll see them all there at the same time.

If Porter is indeed dropped, Mckernan will probably be the nominal #1 ruckman while Sav and Drew occupy the KP's in the forward half. Corey will either then go to the pine while Hale does his stuff, or swap with Sav or Drew and so on and so forth.

I think it can work as long as Sav is switched on. He is looking as fresh and mobile as i can recall, but obviously its a fair step up to AFL level. But then again, he has played over 200 games of the stuff, so i'd say he'll be comfortably aware of that.

He deserves another crack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From my vantage point out in the centre on Sunday, Sav looks more than capable of coming back to AFL level this weekend. North can test out the Dogs defence by stocking the top shelf of the pantry with big forwards. We will win, though, regardless of wheter Sav plays. The margin will be affected slightly though to our benefit with him in the side, I'd say. The concierge should play, he is very underrated by all on this board. Who to drop? Certainly not McKernan, possibly Grima. The extra tall will help us win this one by over 140 I'd say. Let's hope we "come to play" and that margin could creep up to 4 figures. The dogs are a joke.

its time for sav to come in we need a power forward that can crash packs take marks and kick goals , corey mckernan is a second or third option at best at the moment . how long will we have to wait before laidley puts sav back in front of goals he has kicked 14 goals in 3 games not just playing forward sharing ruck duties as well . he should have been back in after his 8 goal haul a few weeks back.

one thing i haven't seen for a while is a fully fit Sav. Last year he had trouble getting to 100%.

I've warmed to the idea of Sav at FF. Our forward line is not functioning at present. I'm one of those against a team that is too tall. Either Porter or McKernan should make way for Sav.

I'd drop Porter, and start McKernan in the ruck. Hale can relieve. Sav and Petrie up forward.

Sinclair is playing poorly. He was in great form from second half of 2002 to the first half of 2003. Since then he's dropped off a lot. Makepeace will return, probably at Sinclair's expense.

Originally posted by speedy
Rocca in. Porter out.

Keep Watt at FB
Brown permanent CHB
Colby BP
McKernan CHF
Rocca FF
Petrie FP
Hale RK

With Hale, Petrie & McKernan rotating and sharing equal time in the ruck, up forward and having spells on the bench.

Not much wrong there for mine, but still happy for Drew to try and regain touch at CHF. He's working hard enough. It'll come

Just reading this thread opens your eyes to how many forwards we have. Dare I say perhaps 2 many forwards.
There is a team in the competition who needs a full forward and centre half forward.
And it just so happens that this same team has a young victorian superstar midfielder who would be more than happy to return home.
Hmmm. Opportunity ?
Trade a couple of forwards maybe WA boy chad jones and what do you know, a huge boost for our midifled.

Would you be talking about WCE.. and if so, which midfielder are you talking about?

We are not trading Chad Jones- firstly at this stage, he is worth zip apart from what we picked him up for- pick 24.. and secondly, he was a Roo all his life, and as long as he has talent, and can do something with it, he is staying.

Go Roos

This thread is going crazy. Firstly, we are having a Saverio love in. Do any of you boys need some time alone? Here's a picture to tide you over... (http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,220175,00.jpg)

Secondly, one thread talks about getting rid of veterans, and this one talks about bringing one back, and even getting rid of Grima or downgrading Drew. Sheesh! My head hurts. Can't any of you remember how poorly Sav played last year? OK, injuries didn't help, but do we really think he is the answer? I'm yet to see three tall Roo forwards tear a game apart when playing in the same 50 - even Carey and McKernan sometimes didn't fire when they had to share the space down forward.

Now let me completely contradict myself by saying ok let's give him a shot, but let me just go on record by saying a Sav, Drew, Corey / Hale forward line ain't gonna work. And heaven help us if Brown kills it again down forward - that would mean two part time ruckmen / homeless forwards on the bench and a whole lotta dead wood.

As for trading Roo forwards for Judd...uh, yeah, ok.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back