Windows 8

Remove this Banner Ad

They should have called it 'Window' 8, not Windows, as single apps seem to take up the whole window when they are running. Maybe this can be changed, but I always thought the whole point of Windows was that you could multitask.

More seriously, they really should have built two OS - one for tablets, the other for desktop PCs. Instead, we have this hybrid piece of crap. I've not found the Metro interface to be at all useful for work requiring a keyboard and mouse (i.e. 99.99% of the work I do on my desktop) - all Metro does is appear from time to time when I don't really want it to (e.g. if I hit the Start button, do a search, accidentally click on the side or corner of the screen, or open a file that, unbeknownst to me, is associated with an app instead of a desktop program). Usually at that point, I panic momentarily before looking around for an 'X' to get rid of this thing that has suddenly taken control of my entire screen. Eventually I remember that alt-F4 does the trick.

If I could have my way, I'd remove Metro and keep everything else. Apparently the OS itself is quite an improvement over 7, but the UI sucks balls.

Maybe I am old-fashioned but I don't think tablets will ever replace desktops entirely. Sure, they have replaced many of the functions that desktops have previously performed, because they do these things better. But I can't see myself, or anyone else really, comfortably writing reports or working with spreadsheets or multimedia on a touchscreen based system anytime soon. (A tablet with a keyboard is just another laptop.)

How to make Windows 8 look like Windows 7

I think they're a chance to replace PCs (for most purposes) eventually, but only by becoming fully dockable so you can use a keyboard/mouse/monitor/etc the same way you can with laptops today.

So i bought a new Laptop (Lenovo y510p) and after a few days i decided Windows 8 isn't for me and wanted to finally give Linux a go, but apparently due to UEFI this is not an option? :rolleyes: Does it mean i'm stuck with Windows 8 or are there alternatives i can use somehow else.....or even manage to get Linux up and going?

So i bought a new Laptop (Lenovo y510p) and after a few days i decided Windows 8 isn't for me and wanted to finally give Linux a go, but apparently due to UEFI this is not an option? :rolleyes: Does it mean i'm stuck with Windows 8 or are there alternatives i can use somehow else.....or even manage to get Linux up and going?

Have you googled the issue? Sounds like there are numerous options

What flavour Linux?

Zorin OS is a good Linux Distro, ( looks like Windows 7) , also Linux Mint is a good one and most popular, both user friendly.
I haven't had to use Windows in over 3 years, once you find the Linux software equivalent to Windows, it's great. Plus you don't have to search for hours looking for Windows drivers, all come pre installed.
Zorin OS free (core) download
http://zorin-os.com/
or
Linux Mint 16, Mate edition.
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2493

ITT: peoples complaining about features they can just not use.

My Windows 8 laptop is great: the considerable performance improvements, better task manager, and much more useful file copy make it unarguably better than W7. Personally I don't like Metro, so I don't use it. The desktop interface and software all still exists, and it takes all of five seconds to install the start menu of your choice.

I'm not a huge fan of the Explorer ribbon, but I can see how it would be useful for people who don't know all the keyboard shortcuts, and it's easy enough to minimise or disable.

My Windows 8 laptop is great: the considerable performance improvements, better task manager, and much more useful file copy make it unarguably better than W7.

Still not much of an incentive to upgrade. Metro was the selling point, and it's a flop for desktop users.

Still not much of an incentive to upgrade. Metro was the selling point, and it's a flop for desktop users.
Oh, definitely not incentive to upgrade, not worth the hassle. Definitely better if you're building a new computer or doing a reinstall though.

The only desktop users W8 is a flop for are the ones who didn't actually use the OS and don't realise that the normal desktop still exists. Metro isn't worthwhile on desktop, but it was never meant to be.

Definitely better if you're building a new computer or doing a reinstall though.

Not everyone's an early adopter; most will wait a bit and read the reviews. A new Microsoft OS is supposed to spur sales of new PCs; they've actually fallen with the release of Windows 8. IMO it's unviable for most businesses to upgrade. I'm on my third W7 build. Have a home theatre PC with W8, but haven't used it in six months.

MS tends to get it right every second time. Hoping Windows 9 is a winner.

A new Microsoft OS is supposed to spur sales of new PCs

This was true in 1995, but with PC ownerships being superseded by laptops, smart phones, and tablets in the last three years, it's both untrue and unsurprising that desktops are starting to lose ground.

The DDR4 manufacturing wait doesn't help either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was true in 1995, but with PC ownerships being superseded by laptops, smart phones, and tablets in the last three years, it's both untrue and unsurprising that desktops are starting to lose ground.

The DDR4 manufacturing wait doesn't help either.

Yep there's a change underway, but not everyone wants to catch the mobile computing train. MS has misread a decent slice of the market (or maybe thought they could tell it what to like).

I'm upgrading to Windows 8 from XP i just hope i made the right call

People carry on about it but Windows 8 is fine, just turn off the BS touch related stuff. There was also an update that came out last week that was meant to improve usability for desktop users. Your biggest issue will be getting used to the layout, but that'll just take time.

Made the switch over the weekend from 7 for no reason at all.

Over the initial regret, so i'm cool with it now. The 8.1 Update makes it much closer to 7.

Just got myself an Asus Transformer T100 w Windows 8.1 + Microsoft office for just under 500 on eBay.

Really good little pad. Windows 8 is definitely taking some time to get used to, I can't imagine how frustrating it would be on a non-touchscreen.

Anyways I don't mind it, still prefer Apple but you get tons more actual work done on these little things in comparison to an iPad and its ios.

Why Linux? Just install Windows 7

nobulltiger try upgrading to windows 8.1
I had to do this because being at uni i couldn't get anything that would use vista.
So i changed and upgraded my operating system.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back