Wooden Spoon 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Want Harley Reid don't want another spoon.Time to star making 22 Port Adelaide voodoo dolls.Knowing our luck if Port finished last they would trade the number 1 pick just to f*#ck us off.
How can Pooort trade something they don't own?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I doubt we'll win the spoon, but I'm confident we'll be bottom four and possibly even still bottom two. It is hard to know exactly how useless and damaging Noble was to know how much natural improvement is hidden from plain sight for Clarko to unlock. At least we know there will be a proper pre-season and a game plan next season. I've always said the list is much better than what was shown on the park and it has been improved since last season. What we'll never get back is the two years of lost development of young players under Noble's watch. The skill levels of North were clearly the worst in the AFL and foot skills in particular is something very dear to Clarko's heart, so I expect that players will be putting in long hours to improve those. I expect us to be far more competitive, so 10 goal floggings should become an exception rather than the norm. I'm thinking that 5-6 wins is realistic and that the 2nd half of the season could be quite good. My tip for the spoon is Hawthorn because of the lack of experience left on their list.

I doubt we'll win the spoon, but I'm confident we'll be bottom four and possibly even still bottom two. It is hard to know exactly how useless and damaging Noble was to know how much natural improvement is hidden from plain sight for Clarko to unlock. At least we know there will be a proper pre-season and a game plan next season. I've always said the list is much better than what was shown on the park and it has been improved since last season. What we'll never get back is the two years of lost development of young players under Noble's watch. The skill levels of North were clearly the worst in the AFL and foot skills in particular is something very dear to Clarko's heart, so I expect that players will be putting in long hours to improve those. I expect us to be far more competitive, so 10 goal floggings should become an exception rather than the norm. I'm thinking that 5-6 wins is realistic and that the 2nd half of the season could be quite good. My tip for the spoon is Hawthorn because of the lack of experience left on their list.
Look at the bottom clubs for this year - two of the dodgiest clubs in hawks and weagles will do anything to get a leg up.

If we finish bottom 3 (my prediction) surely we will get a better priority pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we finish bottom 3 (my prediction) surely we will get a better priority pick.
We didn't get a priority pick despite for all intents and purposes coming last for three years in a row, so the AFL has set a precedent that will make it very hard for them to ever award a priority pick to anyone in the future. If we finish bottom three without finishing last, I doubt we'll get one because the AFL will reason that we have bottomed out and that we're on the improve again. They'll consider the number of wins and the size of our losses to come to that conclusion. They'll give themselves a pat on the back for the miniscule assistance package they provided us this year that didn't offend any of the other clubs. That's my theory anyway.

If we don’t win 5+ games next year we are in a world of pain. So let’s hope everyone is competitive (except poort).
l want us to play the Dawks twice, West Coast twice, and Adelaide twice with home games against the Bummers, Pies, Tiggers and Port..

Before us Melbourne, GWS and STK I think are the most recent teams to get back to back spoons. Richmond and Carlton had a couple within a few years too.

However 3 in a row in modern AFL is unprecedented, historically inept stuff. That's when it starts to really hurt the brand off field.

All those teams got a PP directly after their first pick. We got shafted!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Surprised so many here think Hawthorn’s list is worse than West Coast’s. I can see the Hawks green shoots. The eagles are already diabolical and there’s been nothing this trade season to improve their stock.
While the hawks have given away much of their midfield leadership and experience, at least they have very good young KPPs coming through. The same cannot be said for WC.

Some players will work hard and improve regardless of the coaching, it is just in them to get better (see LDU and Simpkin).

Other players will drop off when they aren't happy with their coaching group (I'll decline from naming players but we all know which ones).

As for 5-6 wins, if we get the Hawks and Eagles twice each there should be 4 wins if we are serious about things. 5-6 wins would constitute just 1-2 wins outside of this.

It's a catch 22.

We all want Reid, as he looks like a generational alpha type that you can plonk across any line.

Some teams will tank extremely hard for him just 5-6 games in if the writing is on the wall. Just as West Coast did last year, you probably need 2-3 wins next year to secure it.

I think West Coast, Hawthorn and Essendon are all monty's to go for him at some point. Particularly Hawthorn, they haven't won a spoon in almost 60 years, Mitchell is in a grace period, they stripped all their senior players, they will view it as something that isn't great, but worth it for Reid and can ride out the supporters given their success of the last 30 years.

If we win the spoon - Clarko's first year has been a failure and some players have likely regressed and given it will be 3 spoons in a row, some promising young players are likely at the end of the line as some are at make or break years. We are also unlikely to get some major instant improvements under Clarko that we think might happen if we win the spoon.

The only scenario in which we show major improvement and still win the spoon is probably if we face an injury crisis and still perform to an extent. Given our injury record with especially younger players the last 4-5 years, I don't really want that either.

I guess another scenario is if Goldstein/Cunners/Ziebell/Hall all absolutely fall off a cliff this season performance wise and the younger players make some strides but the senior players regress.

Long terms injuries to McKay, Larkey and Goldy at once would probably send us in a death spiral.

I've very much been in the "don't really care if we win the spoon" the last 3-4 years, as it is a means to an ends of getting better.

But we are at the point now we have PLENTY of young talent and further spoons may just mean the players we did draft aren't good enough.

There's plenty of good players at the bottom next year that we can still get with a welcome improvement of 5-7 wins, which would mean we are moving in the right direction.

You are still probably securing a Nick Watson and Caddy/Reid combination with picks 5 and 10-12 next year. which is still another massive injection of elite talent.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back