Remove this Banner Ad

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
Its on again! World Baseball Classic. Hosted by... well all over the place. But the important thing to remember is that Australia is in Pool B, playing out of Tokyo Dome.

Some important points:
  • We are in a Pool that includes historically strong squads from Japan and Korea.
  • There is a chance we may be slightly uncompetitive against those two.
  • We may have a decent game against China or Czech republic
  • Any ticket to see either Japan or Korea costs a fortune.
  • Tokyo Dome is one of the top 5 sporting facilities in Tokyo Dome City, along with the ten pen bowling centre and a wicked rollercoaster.
  • Top 2 from Pool B will join top 2 from Pool A and blah blah blah
  • May or may not be on telly in Australia
1677043116921.png

Last edited:

I didn't know this thread had been made, so copying over the details from the Hot Stove thread.

ESPN2 on Foxtel and Kayo will broadcast all Australia pool games live (and presumably on demand).

Australia plays Korea at 2pm AEDT tomorrow, then China at 2pm AEDT on 11 March. Australia then plays the big game against Japan at 9pm AEDT on 12 March. Final pool game is against Czechia at 2pm AEDT on 13 March.

I expect Australia will get walloped by Korea and Japan, so it'll come down to the matches against China and Czechia to see whether Australia advances, as only the top two from each pool advance to the quarter-finals. Japan is ranked #1 in the world and Korea is ranked #4 in the world. By comparison, Australia is ranked 10th in the world ahead of Czechia (#15) and China (#30).

Last edited:
Cuba v Netherlands on right now to start the WBC. Bottom of the eighth and the Dutch are leading 4-2. The Dutch have a decent side. Xander Bogaerts, Didi Gregorius, Jonathan Schoop, Andrelton Simmons, Jurickson Profar all playing for the Dutch. The Cubans have Yohan Moncada, Luis Robert, and Yoenis Cespedes.

Japan has named Shohei as their game #1 starter to take on China. Given the strict rules around the number of days rest for starting pitchers during the pool games, it's unlikely that Shohei will pitch against Australia. Hopefully we see him bat.

Steven Kent has walked two Koreans to start the bottom of the eighth. Has completely lost command of his pitching. Looks like he's about to get pulled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After an absolutely bizarre and seemingly needless delay while the umpires check something or other, Australia finally is able to make a pitching change with Kent behind 2-0 in the count against the third Korean batter in the inning.

Glad I looked at this thread, I thought it started at 10pm for some reason....

Get to watch the 9th inning.....hopefully we get it done

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Japan game is in the evening on Sunday. Possibly got confused with that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back