Worst tail ever

Remove this Banner Ad

How about Australia in 32/33 - 4rd test.

Ernie Bromley - test average 6, Bill O'Reilly 12, Tim Wall 6 and Herb Ironmonger 2.

Or in the 2nd Test 28/28 - Bert Ironmonger and Don Blackie were Nos 10 & 11 - the kicker being both were 46 years old.

I think you probably have to discount pre-war lineups. The pitch quality in those days was so awful that 12 was not exactly a terrible average for a tailender.

The pitch quality didn't seem to affect Ponsford. Or Hammond. Or Hobbs. Or Sutcliffe. Or that little bloke.........

Did a couple of quick analyses on Cricinfo. First - average scores of Nos 8-11. The best decade by Australia was the 1920s. The second best was the 1940s. The worst was the 1930s. Make of that what you will.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en..._average;team=2;template=results;type=batting

The second was for partnerships 7-10. Similar results (not exactly the same).
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...rship_wicket;team=2;template=results;type=fow

As an aside, the 1890s look like we had a stronger tail in general than the 1990s (or at least equal). And when you compare it to the top order, the 1890s we had our best ever tail.

All greats of the game, hardly good examples.

Maybe they were greats of the game because of the era they played in.

The average score per wicket in 1920s and 1930s were the 3rd and 4th highest scoring decades for Australia. (The 1940s and 2000s were the best 2.) They were higher than the 1990s, 1980s, 1970s etc.

I think it's generally accepted that apart from the occasional rare 'sticky', the between-wars pitches were roads. That's why they were able to have timeless tests.

Maybe they were greats of the game because of the era they played in.

The average score per wicket in 1920s and 1930s were the 3rd and 4th highest scoring decades for Australia. (The 1940s and 2000s were the best 2.) They were higher than the 1990s, 1980s, 1970s etc.

I think it's generally accepted that apart from the occasional rare 'sticky', the between-wars pitches were roads. That's why they were able to have timeless tests.
Has a lot to do with the quality of Australia's teams in those decades. If you look at runs/wicket in FC competitions, or for other teams of the era, they tell a very different story.

The pitches for the test matches were prepared for timeless tests. In 1928/29, 3 of England's Top 4 bowlers for the series had an economy rate of less than 2 per over (the 4th was Larwood at 2.8). The Australian bowlers were similar. in 1936/37 - higher, but still well below 3. That was cricket in Australia between the wars.

Because the pitch was so dead (but there was no time limit), you just sat on the bowling until a bad ball came along.

I think you probably have to discount pre-war lineups. The pitch quality in those days was so awful that 12 was not exactly a terrible average for a tailender.
Certainly. Pitches in the pre-war days were not covered and batsmen had to have more skill than they do now to make runs at least when the weather was not completely dry. Still, one can observe Nottinghamshire in the early 1930s, when Sam Staples batted at number 11 and had a career average of 17, followed by Harold Larwood and Bill Voce at numbers nine and ten with averages of nineteen. Voce actually reached 1,000 runs in 1933 and Larwood would have done that in 1931 but for a motor accident wiping a quarter of his season.

Despite a sticky wicket, it says a great deal about Hedley Verity’s record 10-for-10 (against a team of eleven century-makers) that was accurate enough stop Voce or Larwood from smashing him for a few sixes.

At the other extreme among English county sides stands Gloucestershire in the middle 1950s:
  • #8 – Peter Rochford, 113 innings with an average of 5.25 and only three scores of 20 or more
  • #9 – Cecil “Sam” Cook, 611 innings with only six scores of 20, and an average of 5.39
  • #10 – Bryan “Bomber” Wells, 423 innings with an average of 7.47, but over a quarter of that was from sixes
  • #11 – Francis McHugh
    • 111 innings
    • scored in only 45 of them
    • for 179 runs at an average of 2.63, which is the lowest batting average by any regular first-class cricketer, including even before the heavy roller was introduced in the 1870s
It’s notable that this Gloucestershire team was able to win quite a few matches because of the prowess of their top order led by Tom Graveney and Milton. They won five games in the very wet 1954, nine in 1955 and fourteen in 1956 – when McHugh, after playing only three balls in six innings, succumbed to illness and was replaced for 1957 by David Smith.

I believe that England once fielded a tail of Caddick, Mullally, Tufnell and Giddins - three genuine number 11's and someone who'd probably bat at #11 in many Test sides. The stuff that nightmares would be made of.

...and to think we've all been annoyed at Siddle's batting form (admittedly the way he's batting ATM he would slot in at #11 if he ever came back) - he's much better than any of those guys!

Siddle is the only No 9 who has made 2 half-centuries in the same test (India 2013). He's got a lot of 30s and 40s. It makes has last twelve months completely baffling.......................................

Yeah it's fairly frustrating because he has performed so well with the bat in the past. It's hard to forget his past deeds like the Pakistan SCG test or being about the only guy to show up with the bat at the Boxing Day test during the 2010/11 debacle. I had always rated Ryan Harris as a lower order batsman from what I had seen of him prior to playing test cricket, so I was a bit miffed at how shocking he was early on in his test career, but he's settled in well now and has made some telling contributions overtaking Siddle in the order.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe that England once fielded a tail of Caddick, Mullally, Tufnell and Giddins - three genuine number 11's and someone who'd probably bat at #11 in many Test sides. The stuff that nightmares would be made of.
It’s interesting to note that in the 1935 Test at the Oval against South Africa England fielded two players – Bill Bowes and Holcombe “Hopper” Read – who both had more wickets than runs in their careers. Read in fact has the lowest first-class batting average (3.67) by any Test cricketer since 1877, and in fact scored in merely 22 of his 54 first-class innings in England. During that season, Read was out for a duck seven times in eight innings and zero not out in the other!

A third player with more wickets than runs – Eric Hollies – would have certainly played in the third Test alongside Bowes but for crying off due to an accident – so it’s conceivable England could have played a tail of three players with more wickets than runs in their first-class careers! More than that, Edward “Nobby” Clark, who played sixty-five innings without reaching double figures in the 1920s and had a highest score of 30 in 510 innings, might also have played at Leeds. A tail, of Bowes, Clark and Hollies – let alone with Read – would made the tail you mentioned seem like the Nottinghamshire of 1930 to 1933!

Yeah it's fairly frustrating because he has performed so well with the bat in the past. It's hard to forget his past deeds like the Pakistan SCG test or being about the only guy to show up with the bat at the Boxing Day test during the 2010/11 debacle. I had always rated Ryan Harris as a lower order batsman from what I had seen of him prior to playing test cricket, so I was a bit miffed at how shocking he was early on in his test career, but he's settled in well now and has made some telling contributions overtaking Siddle in the order.
I think Siddle is kinda stuck in a bit of a no-mans-land at the moment with respect to the type of batsman he is. He's not your lower-order slogger, and yet he seems to go out early too often. You know when a tail-ender is 'beaten' and we say, "a better batsman would have nicked that" - I think Siddle is that better batsman, ironically. Boy he nicks them a lot, perhaps needs to learn how to leave them a bit better and focus on time out in the middle as opposed to runs until he is more solid.

The Windies would've had some horrible tails around the mid 2000's.

Jerome Taylor
Daren Powell
Corey Collymore
Fidel Edwards

Their main fast bowlers of that time.

MacGill would get in there, surely?

I had him, but surely the others were less capable - I remember MacGill sticking around a couple of times. That massive rough head of his filling a helmet is something I cant etch from my mind...

Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere in this forum, but there was a game in England recently, where the team batting first was dismissed for 108. Unfortunately the team batting second made things rather difficult for themselves, by slumping to 8 for 0. They then "recovered" slightly, being dismissed for the princely sum of 3!!!! There were 10 ducks in the innings, number 10 scored a single, and the other 2 runs were sundries. Wouldn't have thought there'd be too many times where a team has scored 108, and won by more than 100 runs :)

I just thought I'd look up the record of Azeem Hafeez. He came out to Australia in the early 80s with the Pakistanis. He was a left-arm bowler but he was missing several of his fingers on his right hand (he was the "Hafeez-hand-missing" in the 12th Man skits). He had a pretty shocking run with the bat out here (1,0,2,5,7,4,2) and there was a lot of speculation that this was due to his disability. But he did later make double figures a few times and wound up averaging 8 - so not the complete worst ever. I also see he scored a 69 in first class cricket.

Not a bad effort to face test fast bowlers without the full complement of fingers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back