Would we be a chance in the mini draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Megaman123

Team Captain
Oct 4, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
With a "Superdraft" next year, and other clubs likely to not trade away high picks for players like this year, would the Cats not opting to use the Ablett Compo pick be a sign they may intend on trading it, plus a player (someone like Byrnes, who at 28 would be beneficial for GWS) to get one of the best 17 year olds? Clear we need to rebuild our mids for the future and with us looking like being a top 6 (at least) contender again, this may be an avenue to access to a potential Top 3 2013 equivilent draft pick. Something we will probably never really get the chance to get with out ladder consistency.

With the old guys retiring over next few years, be nice to have a 17 year old superstar in the wings!

Maybe. Depends ultimately if we want to or if we want to save it to use in future drafts.

I suspect GWS will get less for the MD picks than last year simply becase this year's draft is strong so the clubs with really high picks will be more reluctant to offer them. Might be more players as much as picks this year.

That said, compo + Byrnes, maybe not. Wouldn't have thought a 28 yo small forward has currency, particularly when they could get him as a free agent anyway. A lot of our older players are too old to have currency and we wouldn't trade them anyway, and I doubt we'd trade a younger player.

But anyway, a lot of water to go under the bridge. We'll see.

Maybe. Depends ultimately if we want to or if we want to save it to use in future drafts.

I suspect GWS will get less for the MD picks than last year simply becase this year's draft is strong so the clubs with really high picks will be more reluctant to offer them. Might be more players as much as picks this year.

That said, compo + Byrnes, maybe not. Wouldn't have thought a 28 yo small forward has currency, particularly when they could get him as a free agent anyway. A lot of our older players are too old to have currency and we wouldn't trade them anyway, and I doubt we'd trade a younger player.

But anyway, a lot of water to go under the bridge. We'll see.

I just have a feeling with a few promising rookies maybe a chance to be upgraded, and us maybe needing to free up a spot or two, depending on retirements, it may be an option to trade someone. Agree we wont trade any of the youngsters, but out of Gillies, Byrnes, Hogan etc, I think GWS could be tempted. Particularly with Power, Cornes and Brogan probably only a year or two away from retirement, a 28 year old with 4 or so decent years of footy (and a premiership player), may be an option.

Particularly with Power, Cornes and Brogan probably only a year or two away from retirement, a 28 year old with 4 or so decent years of footy (and a premiership player), may be an option.

Really doubt it. Byrnes is not a big bodied player like a young team needs, nor is he a proven clearance winner. Can't imagine that they would be interested.

iameviljez makes a good point.

Also Byrnes is a free agent so they have no need to trade for him when they can have him for free. Ditto guys like Hogan and Gillies who may (possibly) be delisted at the end of the year, so why would they pay for them? either way if you want in to a minidraft you have to trade guys who have some trade value, and those three, Byrnes in particular, probably don't.

iameviljez makes a good point.

Also Byrnes is a free agent so they have no need to trade for him when they can have him for free. Ditto guys like Hogan and Gillies who may (possibly) be delisted at the end of the year, so why would they pay for them? either way if you want in to a minidraft you have to trade guys who have some trade value, and those three, Byrnes in particular, probably don't.

Yeah I hear you in regards to the them not having huge trade value on their own. But the Compo pick would be the main part of the trade, and a player like these guys a sweetener. I guess Im just thinking other clubs will be less likely to part with their Top 10 type picks due to the strength of this draft and the fact the players drafted can be played the following year unlike the 17 yr old who a club will have to wait another year for AFL footy. And the GWS will have to trade two of them this year, which means it may be more likely a club wont have to give up pick 4 like last year to get the job done.

They don't really have trade value even as the sweetener though, given GWS could probably get them for free.

Something like our second rounder (given this is a decent draft) might have better value as a sweetener if we decided to go down that route.

Put yourself in the GWS camp for a second.

Ok now would you accept a very late first round pick + Byrnes / Gillies / Hogan for the possible future no.1 pick in 2013. Thought not!!

Same goes with trading. Look at Danger from the Crows. As much as Sando loves the cats he's asking for Menzel and a pick or something like that to get the deal done.

I'd imagine that if some one wanted one of our players our demands would be pretty high too. Don't forget that the players we gave away for a set of steak knives were going to be delisted or moved on due to salary cap restraints anyway. That's why they were moved on for next to nothing. Won't be happening again unless we need to.

The one thing that may appeal to them is our comp pick. It allows them to spread their list age. Would that be enough , probably not considering there is still another round of non contracted players for them to persuade.
For eg. If they got Goddard for instance , the Saints would be in a good position to trade their comp picks for the mini draft pick.

As far as adding a player , we probably would if someone liked Byrnes was asked for but I agree with others , not likely. They would want someone that would still be playing when their main group hits it strength in 3 to 4 years.Id say from drafts 2005 and on.

The one thing that may appeal to them is our comp pick. It allows them to spread their list age. Would that be enough , probably not considering there is still another round of non contracted players for them to persuade.
For eg. If they got Goddard for instance , the Saints would be in a good position to trade their comp picks for the mini draft pick.

As far as adding a player , we probably would if someone liked Byrnes was asked for but I agree with others , not likely. They would want someone that would still be playing when their main group hits it strength in 3 to 4 years.Id say from drafts 2005 and on.

Yeah all points taken. I probably was a little ambitious. Might of got carried away with the thought of landing a seriously talented pick! It will be interesting to see what gets the deal done whoever it is. I think the compo pick has real currency, but we would likely need another 1st rounder I guess. Ill go back in my box now!

Yeah all points taken. I probably was a little ambitious. Might of got carried away with the thought of landing a seriously talented pick! It will be interesting to see what gets the deal done whoever it is. I think the compo pick has real currency, but we would likely need another 1st rounder I guess. Ill go back in my box now!

Nah mate, it's a public forum and lets face it, everyone loves a bargain!!!

I think both of the new franchises are in need of some more seasoned campaigners but more so guys that will be there for 5+ years. If I was GWS or GC I'd be looking at blokes who have some years under their belt but still have some really good footy ahead of them. A few in the 23 - 26 year bracket would just shore up the gap between the kids and the veterans and make both sides more competitive.

GC already have O'Meara in the bank and can probably add Stringer or someone like that too so they won't be trading picks. Essendon, Melbourne and perhaps the Pies will need to use their 1st picks on father/son selections. Not sure if there's too many other clubs that will be prepared to give up a first rounder in this draft either, remembering that whoever goes in the mini draft doesn't get the use of that player until 2014. So I guess you can't discount it.

No,no stay out that Box. Nothing like another persons opinion to bounce off. Opinions are not facts and reasonable debate is what its all about.

Im sure we all wish every trade could be like alchemy. Just don't see it happening to often.

Nah mate, it's a public forum and lets face it, everyone loves a bargain!!!

I think both of the new franchises are in need of some more seasoned campaigners but more so guys that will be there for 5+ years. If I was GWS or GC I'd be looking at blokes who have some years under their belt but still have some really good footy ahead of them. A few in the 23 - 26 year bracket would just shore up the gap between the kids and the veterans and make both sides more competitive.

GC already have O'Meara in the bank and can probably add Stringer or someone like that too so they won't be trading picks. Essendon, Melbourne and perhaps the Pies will need to use their 1st picks on father/son selections. Not sure if there's too many other clubs that will be prepared to give up a first rounder in this draft either, remembering that whoever goes in the mini draft doesn't get the use of that player until 2014. So I guess you can't discount it.

Haha, cheers Rosso. Your last point was what I was getting at more so. Unless they find a club willing to offer up a gun player to trade, there wont be to many sides with Top 10 picks who will be willing to trade a pick with so much talent there available and ready to play straight away.

I just thought it was weird Wells chose to hold back the pick for another year considering the talent in this draft, and us needing to pick up some quality thought we may try and use it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just thought it was weird Wells chose to hold back the pick for another year considering the talent in this draft, and us needing to pick up some quality thought we may try and use it.

I think that is due to the compo pick not being worth as much due where we finished at the end of the season.

By the way, can someone let me know? Are the picks that are allocated to teams based on where they finish on the ladder at the end of the Home and Away rounds, or where a team finishes at 5pm on Grand Final day?

I do agree that teams won't be as willing to offer first round picks as they were last year, due to the strength of this draft, so if it's picks we're in the game.

But other teams have got more players in the 23-26 age bracket to offer that might satisfy GWS. We are not in a good position to deal with them in that respect because we have a lot of players over 28, and a lot under 22, and not a lot in the inbetween age group, and the ones in that age group (Sel, Varcoe, Hawkins West etc) are essential for us as they will be the leaders of our future once the 99-00 and eventually the 01 draft group retire.

We don't really have any players in that age group that we could afford to part with, hence I'd be surprised if we are in the mini draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back