Opinion Your favourite North players

Remove this Banner Ad

Saintly31

Cancelled
Apr 2, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I started a thread on this a couple of years back, but for an off-season thread thought might be interesting to discuss what supporters view as their favorite players, as we have a pretty level group with plenty of options.

I had Thommo, Wells and Swallow last time from memory, amazing what a couple of years does as none of them remain (even though still rate them obviously)....

My favorite three players now are;
1. Higgins - just delivers and moves so well, is our best player with Boomer to watch when 'on' IMO (assuming Wells is injured). It might be a touch controversial as such a new player, but just love watching him play plus he is happy to take a hit when required.
2. Goldstein - love the big guys work ethic and attitude, even ignoring his AA is clearly one of the best players in the league. Such an unassuming, basic and likeable guy off field also.
3. Firrito - people wrote him off (not me) and he delivers a near career best season. Can't help but admire a player with limited ability that has truly got the best out of himself. A genuine Shinboner too, reminding me of the hard-nosed tough and successful attitude of the 90's.

Honorable mentions to Swallow and Cunnington.

Yours? No right or wrong here, we all admire different aspects to players, just a discussion :thumbsu:

Last edited:

Love him but after how Ben Jacobs turned his career in 2015 he has raced up into my top 3. His form against guns was awesome. I just hope it wasn't a one off season.

Yeah fair enough mate.

Your Jacobs is my Spud I suspect :thumbsu:

1. Drewy - a great servant of the club. Sometimes I wonder if he is more respected by opposition fans than our own
2. Big Ben Brown - always having a go and improving through the roof. I am confident he will come out charging after a disappointing last game.
3. Waite - he took a little while to settle, but was ripping it up later in the year. He seems very settled now and am expecting a big 2016.

What can I say, I am a sucker for forwards. And these guys all have personality.

1. Cunners - on and off the field, just looks like a bloody legend. Would love to have a beer or a fish with him.

Daylight
2. Goldy
3. Ats

Honourable mention to Higgins, JZ and boomer

1. Cunnington
-----------------------
A weeks worth of daylight
-----------------------

2. Goldstein
3. Kayne Turner

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wells- Will always be #1.

Jack- Top bloke and tough as ****.

Atley- Most exciting player on the list

Honourable mention to the rest of the list.

Agree on Wells, but he doesn't turn up anymore (sadly) but hope that changes.

Atley. Yep, he can be for very exciting for sure. Doesn't do enough or mine, but if he takes a step or too above be perfect for us

Agree on Wells, but he doesn't turn up anymore (sadly) but hope that changes.

Atley. Yep, he can be for very exciting for sure. If he takes a step or too above be perfect for us

Sneaky edit there, Saintly.

They're the three I enjoy watching the most.

This is such a difficult question to answer. Ben Cunnington is a favourite because he hails from the same neck of the woods as I do and he is such hard and tough competitor.

I have a soft spot for all of the boys who have come from other clubs, being in no particular order, Robbie Nahas, Nicky Dal, Jarrad Waite, Ben Jacobs, Sean Higgins, Scotty Thompson - have I missed anyone?

Spud, Drew and of course Boomer because they have been around for such a long time and are really wonderful servants of the club.

Actually I better stop. They are all favourites, every last one of them.

3. Firrito - people wrote him off (not me) and he delivers a near career best season. Can't help but admire a player with limited ability that has truly got the best out of himself. A genuine Shinboner too, reminding me of the hard-nosed tough and successful attitude of the 90's.

Well said.

My favourites of 2015

1. Goldstien: He is elite and makes our team so much better
2. Jacobs. I love his attitude and to see him get reward for all his effort and nail his spot in the best 22 was one of the stories of the year for me.
3. Garner. Came from a long way back to hold down a spot during the back end of the season and playing finals. This boy has some x factor about him. Not a flashy type but I love watching him play.

JZ
Brown
Boomer

This might be the first time I've included Boomer in our Top 3, but he has just really impressed me the last 12-18 months. A legend of our club and game, and one I've underappreciated over time.

1. Boomer, been my favourite for ages now and is so good to watch. Legend of the game.
2. Cunners, love the way he goes about it, plays footy how it should be played.
3. LT, a lot of people dislike him but he's one of my favourites, he's so exciting to watch and bleeds blue and white.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back