80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:

i thought use pf mobiles during comp was DQ. but internet is telling me its ok, including use of spirit level, compass, weather conditions!

Technically speaking I was only playing a social round, and there was no way I would play a track like that without taking a couple of photos!! Good to know though regarding use of mobiles although most decent clubs don't allow phones to be used on the course anyway despite the R&A rules.

Technically speaking I was only playing a social round, and there was no way I would play a track like that without taking a couple of photos!! Good to know though regarding use of mobiles although most decent clubs don't allow phones to be used on the course anyway despite the R&A rules.

as it should be...of course only use in emergency.

Broke my handicap for the first time in quite some time on the weekend. A relief as I only took up the game a year ago and was beginning to question how much improvement I could make, just want to back it up next weekend now.

Still finding some trouble off the tee but using my irons much better at the moment and learning how to get out of trouble more efficiently now. Short game still lets me down a bit. Not so much on the greens but those shots when you're within 5-10m of the green. Had a couple of times the ball was sitting on the cut of the fairway/rough which really threw me off. Need to practice those.

Broke my handicap for the first time in quite some time on the weekend. A relief as I only took up the game a year ago and was beginning to question how much improvement I could make, just want to back it up next weekend now.

Still finding some trouble off the tee but using my irons much better at the moment and learning how to get out of trouble more efficiently now. Short game still lets me down a bit. Not so much on the greens but those shots when you're within 5-10m of the green. Had a couple of times the ball was sitting on the cut of the fairway/rough which really threw me off. Need to practice those.

may i suggest putting from that distance if not in short longish stuff of course.

whats your handicap and where you playing?

may i suggest putting from that distance if not in short longish stuff of course.

whats your handicap and where you playing?
I try to do that where possible. There are a number of greens that have a thicker cut of grass on a mound or something beside the green which can make it difficult though. The greens are small and many of them are on slopes so going over the back and left/right is when you get into trouble.

My GA handicap is 25.7 but with the slope rating converts to 28 at my local. Waiting to see if that goes down once the weekends results go in.

I'm a member at Romsey GC, a pretty average course it's only got 12 small greens, two bunkers and is completely run by volunteer members who are doing a great job under the circumstances. In the last year they have installed irrigation throughout the course so it's in the best nick it's ever been in for this time of year.

I try to do that where possible. There are a number of greens that have a thicker cut of grass on a mound or something beside the green which can make it difficult though. The greens are small and many of them are on slopes so going over the back and left/right is when you get into trouble.

My GA handicap is 25.7 but with the slope rating converts to 28 at my local. Waiting to see if that goes down once the weekends results go in.

I'm a member at Romsey GC, a pretty average course it's only got 12 small greens, two bunkers and is completely run by volunteer members who are doing a great job under the circumstances. In the last year they have installed irrigation throughout the course so it's in the best nick it's ever been in for this time of year.
Maybe try putting with a 3 wood/hybrid where you need to get through thick grass. They don't get caught as easily as the irons.

Nice little boutique track.

a fantastic morning where overcast conditions greeted met at The National (cape schank not the other one). chilly upon arrival, not a breath of wind caused me discomfort as i changed in the toilets from shorts to pants. why discomfort? once playing it got hot.

anyway no wind on the Old course. front 9 and 20 pts. every tee shot in play bar 1, which i wiped because i, wait for it, thghout yeah ill find it, its just in the trees. buw buuwwwww. nope. an not provy ball was hit. so wipe after 1 shot lolololololololol.

back 9 the wind and SUN picked up. wind is not a problem, i quite like it. sun i struggle to play in. wut? a grand 11 pts with 3 wipes. FU.K yyyeaahhhhhhhh ...... MERICA!!! could get off the tee, power fading everything. my draw deserted me. all irons burnt worms and spun left to right. thanfkully putter and 5 rescue aided me.

all in all an enjoyable day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did 21 points for nine the other day. That included wiping the first and 3 3 putts. Was pretty happy with that. The next week got 12 points on same 9 in a round of 18 for 30 overall.
Had an air swing with my hybrid which was slightly embarrassing.
I scored the most points on the toughest holes as well. Unsure if that's positive or negative. It is annoying wiping the 16 & 17 index holes though

Played at Sandringham about two weeks ago - first game in probably 5 years.

Front 9 - great (for me). 45 off stick. Back nine - started OK, got tired, shoulders and back got stiff, scored - well, it really doesn't matter (50-ish, I dug the foundations for my future retirement home in one particular bunker). Overall I was happy.

So then did the follow-up last week at Ivanhoe (nowhere near as tough a course as Sandy). During the week, thought about how well I had played at Sandy and how I could improve. Needless to say, I played rubbish.

Time to give up for another 5 years.

72 first time around Royal Adelaide golf club..

AMAZING course in mint condition... Had -4 around the front nine which resulted from solid striking and a very hot putter. The birdies dried up on the back, 2 bogeys and a double at the short par 5 15th made for a slightly disappointing finish. That said I would have been happy to break 80 first time around a track like that!!

Possibly highlight of the day was at the signature 3rd hole 265m par 4 flushed the driver which landed on the front part of the green and ended up on the back fringe. Missed the Eagle putt but made the birdie. You can just see my ball long right of the flag in the below photo..

View attachment 198518
Yeah I played it last Sunday, 40 odd degrees she was a challenge on the back nine but it is a terrific track. The 17th hole isn't the greatest but I believe they will be redesigning it again as Clayton designed it not to long ago (don't think he would be invited for another shot) Love the 7th hole for its design, always has been my favourite par 3

Yeah I played it last Sunday, 40 odd degrees she was a challenge on the back nine but it is a terrific track. The 17th hole isn't the greatest but I believe they will be redesigning it again as Clayton designed it not to long ago (don't think he would be invited for another shot) Love the 7th hole for its design, always has been my favourite par 3

Yeah 17 is so uncharacteristic... It's a really good green but the bunkers in the middle of fairway don't work!! Clayton did the same thing messing up the 12th at Metro with a bunker in the middle of the fairway!!

The stretch 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 is an awesome stretch of holes, refreshing to play some short 4's and some small greens!! mixed in with some really strong holes also the wind didn't blow much the day I was there but 7 played straight back into it, I can imagine when it is blowing 30-40 km/h it would be a brute!!

Yeah 17 is so uncharacteristic... It's a really good green but the bunkers in the middle of fairway don't work!! Clayton did the same thing messing up the 12th at Metro with a bunker in the middle of the fairway!!

The stretch 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 is an awesome stretch of holes, refreshing to play some short 4's and some small greens!! mixed in with some really strong holes also the wind didn't blow much the day I was there but 7 played straight back into it, I can imagine when it is blowing 30-40 km/h it would be a brute!!
Yeah the course hasn't been tamed as much as some of the other older courses due to those small greens, when its set up for tournaments its a tough beast just checked that Chalmers shot 288 there to win the Australian open, grow the roughs and its normally windy. Did you see the bunkers he put behind the 17th green, I think it was two or three big bunkers but they are situated about 20m past the green, pretty pointless.

One of the water hazards at my local is beginning to dry up given the recent heat, in the last week I've pulled out well over 50 balls with my old mans ball retriever. Most of them are fairly nice balls too, I won't say how many had my mark on them :$

One of the water hazards at my local is beginning to dry up given the recent heat, in the last week I've pulled out well over 50 balls with my old mans ball retriever. Most of them are fairly nice balls too, I won't say how many had my mark on them :$

which course?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back