Your ultimate Gold Coast footy trip guide/discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Just thought I'd provide some info about a venue that is really ideal for any footy goers on the Gold Coast. The Emerald Lakes Golf Club is located about 400m from Metricon Stadium (just across Nerang-Broadbeach Road, see pic below) and provides bar and dining options for patrons. It is virtually perfect for whatever you are looking to do pre/post match. Whether you are looking to stay there for a short time to have a drink at the bar and some takeaway pizza from the Slice outlet or looking to spend several hours there playing Golf/Tennis and taking advantage of the picturesque scenes on the verandah while you eat, Emerald Lakes has you covered. The club is apparently open until 12:30am on Saturday nights so it is perfect for any game. It also gives an option to anyone looking to have a few drinks before heading into the nightclub areas. The shuttles to Broadbeach (Victoria Avenue) and Surfers Paradise (Cavill Avenue) run for an hour after the final siren so there is more than enough time to head over to Emerald Lakes Golf Club and have a drink before heading back to the shuttle area and getting to your desired destination.

Dea_Day, it might be worth it to park at Emerald Lakes Golf Club. They allow you to park there if you get to the club early and have a meal. They usually charge you to park there but will let you park for free if you are going to have a meal. You probably want to get there about an hour and a half before the game starts to be safe.

HQrstNF.png

Last edited:

Hey Dea_Day, how did you find Emerald Lakes as a venue? Also, what did you think of the whole Gold Coast footy experience?

Just stumbled on this and thought I'd add my two cents on the transport. Thought the buses were smooth as and I stayed in Main Beach. GA ticket to the game meant the bus from Main Beach to Broadbeach was free as well as the footy shuttle. I queued up with at least 45min to spare for the footy shuttle but it was touch and go as to making the opening bounce. Staying nearer to the shuttle would be a piece of cake.

The mobile site to the bus maps is http://mobile.translink.com.au/content/maps

Good trip,pity about our loss.
Metricon is a great Stadium and Gold Coast will be a formidable team very soon.
Ground was like velvet green.Couldn't see a mark on the ground,it was that pristine.

Blue skies every day and the Superman ride,I shat myself.:D
Was awesome to see the King Penguins(dressed in yellow and black) at Seaworld.
Amazing creatures.
Food was great too everywhere I went.

Had a big steak at an Irish pub with a jug of Garlic sauce.
Delicious.

When my gf and I got up there ,someone had crashed their car into the new tram tracks.
Not used to trams yet like us down here.:D

Gold Coast is a working proposition because of the ability to turn the trip into a mini holiday.
Only wish it was easier to get out of the ground.

Massive queues of people lining up for a bus.

Last edited:
Just stumbled on this and thought I'd add my two cents on the transport. Thought the buses were smooth as and I stayed in Main Beach. GA ticket to the game meant the bus from Main Beach to Broadbeach was free as well as the footy shuttle. I queued up with at least 45min to spare for the footy shuttle but it was touch and go as to making the opening bounce. Staying nearer to the shuttle would be a piece of cake.

The mobile site to the bus maps is http://mobile.translink.com.au/content/maps
Interesting. I probably would have advised against staying in Main Beach for the very reason you have pointed out. It can be awkward to get to the shuttle area in Broadbeach so staying in Surfers Paradise/Broadbeach would be advisable. However, there is now a tram stop in Main Beach (where Tedder Avenue meets the Gold Coast Highway) so it might be easier but I'd still say Surfers Paradise/Broadbeach would be easier. I guess the problem with the Broadbeach shuttle is the fact that it is the one that will be used by all the tourists so you will be waiting a while for the shuttle if it is expected to be a big game.

Good trip,pity about our loss.
Metricon is a great Stadium and Gold Coast will be a formidable team very soon.
Ground was like velvet green.Couldn't see a mark on the ground,it was that pristine.

Blue skies every day and the Superman ride,I shat myself.:D
Was awesome to see the King Penguins(dressed in yellow and black) at Seaworld.
Amazing creatures.
Food was great too everywhere I went.

Had a big steak at an Irish pub with a jug of Garlic sauce.
Delicious.

When my gf and I got up there ,someone had crashed their car into the new tram tracks.
Not used to trams yet like us down here.:D

Gold Coast is a working proposition because of the ability to turn the trip into a mini holiday.
Only wish it was easier to get out of the ground.

Wow, sounds like you really made the most of it! Would you come back for another trip based on your experience?

No doubt the transport is an issue but it will get easier once the trams are available for the public on June 1. Not really sure how you can shorten the after game bus queues without offering another transport option. It's been a problem for a while. The only possible solution I can see on the horizon is the introduction of a ferry terminal that runs to Broadbeach and Surfers Paradise after the game. That would help.

That's pretty crappy when you've got kids with you (which I will). Obviously the tram will help but I've generally noticed that stadiums outside of Victoria are appalling for public transport options. I'll be driving and parking at one of the golf clubs mentioned before.

That's pretty crappy when you've got kids with you (which I will). Obviously the tram will help but I've generally noticed that stadiums outside of Victoria are appalling for public transport options. I'll be driving and parking at one of the golf clubs mentioned before.
Definitely not ideal. Parking at Emerald Lakes Golf Club is your best bet (about 400 metres from the stadium) but it fills up quickly so I'd get there at least an hour and a half before the game. Have lunch there and you'll get to park for free.

Matchu, you are a legend. I would not have got to the ground without your advice. Ended up parking at Emerald Lakes and I would not have even known there was parking there without your posts.

Matchu, you are a legend. I would not have got to the ground without your advice. Ended up parking at Emerald Lakes and I would not have even known there was parking there without your posts.
Cheers mate. Glad I could help.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back