We welcome to the Gold Coast SUNS, Pick number 8

PETER WRIGHT

Position: Forward/Ruck

Height: 203cm

Weight: 102kg

D.O.B: 8/09/96

Home State: Victoria

Plays Like: Brad Ottens/Kurt Tippett

Which is his better position is still to be decided however Wright feels more comfortable as a forward, where he uses his endurance and mammoth of a body to grab marks on the lead and kick goals. His athleticism and mobility is remarkable compared to others of his size and he’s one of the most accurate shots for goal (short and long range) in this draft pool.

Draft profiling by Mitch @ Gold Coast SUNS Football Supporters Page.

Welcome Peter Wright! Some bios from the draft gurus:

From Knightmare :
7. Peter Wright (VIC – KPF/Ruck)
Height: 203cm, Weight: 102kg, DOB: 08/09/1996
Recruited from: Calder Cannons
Draft range: 3-15
Best position/role: Centre Half Forward
Strengths:
Key forward talent – Wright has extreme height at 203cm and already has a strong frame at 102kg which is a major point of difference by position but unlike most other 200cm+ types the key with Wright is he is one of the rare few with front half talent and the ability to take over games with his influence.
Athleticism/movement – Wright has excellent endurance. Repeat speed good allowing him to go on multiple leads. Has excellent acceleration on the lead and the ability to create separation on the lead. Good mobility for his size. Lift on his jump above average also. All terrific signs for a big already playing at near his AFL weight.
Marking ability – Wright most stands out from a marking perspective with his work on the lead where he shows he can lead explosively up at the ball, pushing off his man and go on a powerful lead. He leads to the right spots and open spaces. He reads the flight of the ball well extremely well, consistently getting to and protecting the drop zone better than his direct opponent or other opposition defenders. His marks are clean one grab marks and he has the ability to take it out in front or at the highest point as required. He is a capable mark in the air and can leap and grab his marks. Wright also in the contest will look to push off guys to create space for him to mark it cleanly overhead rather than look to get into wrestling matches to take marks which is something he does not like as someone who with a body on him or v contact will invariably drop the mark as more a clean overhead mark who succeeds because he is taller than everyone else and reads the flight and drop of the ball better than anyone else.
Footskills – Has penetration up to 60m and is a reliable set shot goalkicker. Damaging field kick over a variety of distances and would be among the best few kicks in the competition at his considerable height. At times Wright has demonstrated good vision and is capable of finding some damaging targets around the ground and over distance. He also has shown at times that he has the ability to execute his kicks and still hit his targets while getting tackled.
Tap ruck work – Effective tap ruckman who can hit it down to the advantage of his midfielders frequently both around the ground and at centre bounces. He has the size and strength to physically impose himself at centre bounces and ruck contests around the ground.
Ground level ability and followup work – Wright below the knees is dexterous and clean with his pickups for someone at his height. His followup work also is relatively good as someone who can follow-up and win his own footy from those centre bounces and get the clearance himself by getting it onto his boot to a target up the field or off to a running midfielder by hand.
Weaknesses:
In and out of games –He can look unstoppable for periods of games and have a dominant quarter where he is clearly best on ground but also has his quiet periods in games where he is not involved enough or imposing his influence on the game.
Strength of hands overhead – Wright while he has clean hands overhead does not have strong hands overhead and in the marking contest while he can uncontested take marks cleanly he does not have those strong hands to clunk his marks v contact which is the primary thing for me that is keeping Wright from being that dominant key forward he threatens to be at this stage and that primary thing stopping him from being a dominant 1v1 mark and dominant contested mark.
1v1 ability – Wright can struggle to take advantage of capable 1v1 defenders who can match him for strength. He has the size on his frame but needs to improve his body work and become stronger in those 1v1 contests because at this stage if you get a body on Wright and if they can keep their body on Wright in the marking contest, at this point he will rarely take the grab.
Struggles in big games – Wright has struggled in TAC Cup finals games to have his regular impact both in 2013 and 2014 and no suggestions can be made that this will change until he shows us he can elevate his game during finals.
Ability to find the footy around the ground – Wright’s numbers are sufficient when played through the ruck but I would argue that his numbers around the ground should be better than they are. Wright has excellent endurance by position and is a terrific user of the footy so he should be finding and attracting more of the footy than he does at present around the ground. I get the sense through the ruck that Wright does not know where best to be whether it be pushing forward, pushing back or being in position to link up and his running patterns and awareness of where he should be on the field in different situations will need to improve to get more involved in general play.
Aggression - Wright big as he is at this stage for me lacks some aggression. When he tackles at the moment it feels to me like he is gently rolling guys. I would like to see him start to bury guys into the ground with more venom rather than gently rolling them over as he mostly does at the present time almost looking like he wants to not give away free kicks. If he starts to eliminate that caution from his tackling I also feel like it will help to increase his tackle numbers as he will go for his tackles more. Additionally when packs forms Wright does not look to physically exert his presence on the contest as much as he could and I would like to see him hit packs harder and attack packs with greater force than he does at the present time, to at worst bring the ball to ground. With improved aggression I expect it will help Wright feel like he is impacting games more often and more consistently over the course of games.
What I expect will improve:
In the AFL system I expect given Wright’s excellent endurance by position to become a more consistent performer and to be less in and out of games as he better learns how to stay involved in the contest when things are not going his way. I also expect Wright becomes more dominant 1v1 than he is at present with his bodywork in the contest something clubs will work with him on given his significant height and size advantage and I also anticipate he improves the strength of his hands overhead given he is a sound technical mark overhead.
Who he can become?
I see Wright becoming something like Gold Coast’s Tom Lynch as a tall but athletic key forward who can be built around but a slightly less productive version.
If Wright develops into more a ruckman, while not yet established as still a developing player I see him as being of comparable talent to Billy Longer.
When will he be ready to play?
The first couple of seasons we will see glimpses but it will be season three that I anticipate he will start putting some strong performances together and season four when he establishes himself as a very good key forward at AFL level.
How to best utilise him?
I see Wright as being best utilised as a key forward and I would strongly recommend regardless of the vision of the club who draft him that in those first four seasons for Wright only to be played as a key forward. Historically we see those who are thrown into the ruck at AFL level from season one break down with injury and have shortened careers. It is a trend we have seen consistently with those ruckman who have been selected early draft over the years with Naitanui, Kreuzer and Leuenberger all having their issues dealing with injury most years and Josh Fraser also towards the end declining before the age of 30 after carrying the Collingwood ruck division from the get go. With key forwards and also those ruckmen who play as key forwards initially in their careers we see no such trend relating to injury or durability concerns and instead often a fast-track of their development. Paul Salmon and Simon Madden are two famous examples of ruckmen who started their careers forward and experienced great success and long careers in doing so. So for this reason regardless of the vision with Wright whether that be to develop him into a key forward or ruckman it is essential to his long term success and essential to maximising his talents that he starts his career as a key forward.

From Snoop Dog:
Club: Calder Cannons
Height: 203cm
Weight:102kg
Position: Ruck / Key Fwd
Bio: Been on the radar for a long time given his performances as a bottom ager. Tall kid with a huge hunger for the game and can play tall forward and Ruck and has had really dominant performances over the last couple of years. Ultimately I think he appeals as a key forward first who can go into the ruck. What I like about Peter is that he doesn’t rely on his height and bulk to take marks in the goal square. He gets on his bike and presents and he can keep presenting because he has a strong endurance base. He is like Kurt Tippett in that regard and his work as a ruckmen will also benefit from it. He has the potential to be a very dominant player in years to come.

Others – Terrific player this kid and a really good replacement for Boyd. How about getting Wright and Griffen for Boyd. I actually rate Wright very highly and have him as potentially the best player 10 years down the track.

We could definitely use more talls. Like the concept of the pick. Lets see how the kid does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he did grow an extra inch or two, that puts him at a very awkward height for a forward.

I hope we're gentle with him and really ease him into it. These big heavy kids who grow and put on mass so quickly have a knack for breaking down more easily than others. Very much need to ease him into it. I suspect he'll only play a few games next year, injuries notwithstanding.

If he did grow an extra inch or two, that puts him at a very awkward height for a forward.

I hope we're gentle with him and really ease him into it. These big heavy kids who grow and put on mass so quickly have a knack for breaking down more easily than others. Very much need to ease him into it. I suspect he'll only play a few games next year, injuries notwithstanding.

I would not say no to a 200cm permanent presence cutting his teeth in the NEAFL. Him and Gorro if fit could rip it up next year. Tipping us to be premiers in 2015 :cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back